Toy Shop Conveyor

DanoNJ

Here is a new project I am currently working on to go a long with my existing Toy shop.  This will be a stand alone prop, fully enclosed. Down and dirty -- it contains 2 seperate sections of a conveyor; one that will bring toys into the 'machine' and out they come wrapped presents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-rcd-kfQpM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll expand on construction when I have time to write it up.

Please do!  Not even having seen the video yet I can imagine that I will have 4+ questions for you!

I've had a 3 belt conveyor toy shop in my notebook for about 4 years.  One of these days I will actually start building it!!!

Haven't had a chance to see the two new videos, but loved the first one.  My plans were for something pretty similar though will probably never see the light of day.  I was going to use an actual piece of canvas to look like a belt, but I think your metal rope is a better long-term bet.  Have you considered putting some on it so it looks like an actual conveyor and the metal will be hidden?

I was also going to have three belts, which was going to necessitate using sprockets and chains (which I liked, but was going to drive cost up).  I like your wooden gears and it adds a little magical-ness to the display for the kids to see.  Did you use the template here:https://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html  to make your gears?  Any comments on how that process went?

Looks awesome, can't wait to see more updates!

Yes, Jason, that is the site I used to get a template for the gears.  Originally I was going the canvas route also, but attaching the props would have been an issue.  No I wont be hiding the wire rope.  At night and from a distance, I don't believe people will be able to tell.

Thanks, btw!

To go along with my toy shop I am in the process of making a conveyor that will take a toy, run thru a 'machine' and come out as a wrapped present. As this thread goes along, I am planning on posting pictures of the progress.

It started with an old rolling pin which I cut into quarters. The belt will actually be wire rope, so I took the rollers and cut a grove in the center with a lathe. The groove will accept the wire rope as well a connector.

The rollers are then sandwiched between two rails and ride on a piece of rod. I put some Gorilla glue inside the roller to hold the rod.

post-7542-0-86720200-1398373619_thumb.jp

post-7542-0-43700100-1398373630_thumb.jp

post-7542-0-46252400-1398373652_thumb.jp

post-7542-0-18215500-1398373659_thumb.jp

picture shows the roller with wire on one side of the stand.

Originally I was planning on using a belt to turn the rollers / belt, but found that it kept slipping, so I when and made some gears.

The gears will be visible to audience which will add to the prop.

post-7542-0-76947900-1398373850_thumb.jp

post-7542-0-82983400-1398373871_thumb.jp

Dano, This is outstanding!  What a great and creative idea.  When you get a chance, can you show how you hooked up the wiper motor to it.  Did you connect it straight to the rolling pin or did you use a belt.  Also, did you have to use two motors to drive both sides or just one?  Can't wait to see it all done!  Keep us updated!

Dan how long is each table and the center box, I think this is a wonderful idea and would work good in my Santa shop

Hey, Charlie. If memory is correct, each section is about 26" long, with about 5-6" of separation. The center section is roughly 24".

Dan that sure looks good all painted and running, the kids will love it. Are you still going to use the upper meter? I was thinking about using a cam or peg off of each of the presents to drive the needle and have it read bad, OK and good and possibly put a chunk of coal on one of the boards.

Dan that sure looks good all painted and running, the kids will love it. Are you still going to use the upper meter? I was thinking about using a cam or peg off of each of the presents to drive the needle and have it read bad, OK and good and possibly put a chunk of coal on one of the boards.

Yes, still using the motor. Good idea, but will lead to more possible problems. :)

Archived