Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready??? Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Frozen Theme Cutouts

Bucsfan15

I asked my daughter what she wanted on the lawn this year and of course she said Frozen. I know it's not a Christmas theme but I plan on making it that way one way or another.

My question is, there is a lot of sparkly things in Frozen so I'm trying to figure out the best way to make my cutouts sparkle. The paint will just swallow up glitter if I mix it and putting on glitter after I paint may just wash away in the rain or snow. My only solution would be metal flake that body shops use for cars.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I haven't tried it, but I think putting glitter on top of wet paint will work. You're right, you'll lose some due to the elements; but a whole lot will stay. I don't like using clear sealers, as you risk the sealer turning yellow; however a clear sealer would help hold the glitter on.  They do make glitter spray paint, don't know if it is intended for exterior use.

For outdoor installations as well as stage shows, I've used gloss poly over glitter.  Paint your cutout in the same color as the glitter.  Brush on a thinned coat of Elmer's Glue over that area (once the paint is dry) and pour your glitter on there.  This will give you a solid coat of glitter.  Once you shake off the excess and the glue is thoroughly dry, you can carefully brush on a couple coats of gloss poly.  You'll need to be careful when you brush on the clear coat so that you don't drag glitter flakes over into non-glittered areas.  That will just make them look dirty under lights.  The effect you get from this isn't the gentle twinkle of glitter under lights, but instead  more of a shiny metal sheen, with a bit of sparkle.  It's still quite pretty and durable too.

I know Walmart sells a line of paint (Disney themed of all things) that you mix glitter in for little kids rooms.  You might want to look at what kind of glitter they are using, and maybe you can buy just that.  I would think that you then need to coat it with some sort of clear finisher to try to keep the glitter from washing away in the weather.

And the gloss poly doesn't yellow? Do you have any pics?

I don't have any pics right off hand, but I have poly on some pieces for a display I did in NC at the beach five years ago that we are still using today with no yellowing.

It sounds like it may not be an issue but you could check the label of the product in question and see if it has any UV inhibitor in it.  Krylon makes a UV protective clear paint (or at least they used to).  I have seen it at Michael's but it was quite a few years back.

TED

Krylon has a series of spray on clear coats.  http://www.krylon.com/products/matte-finish/  I used them to protect the paint on my nativity set.  I was afraid the spray would leave a streaky appearance but it blended beautifully.  Spray would be the easiest way to deal with the glitter.

I thought a  gloss finish would cause glare from the floods so I used matte.  Krylon also has semi and gloss.  If set designer kyledixondesigns says use gloss, use gloss.  I'm just the LD.

I just saw this and it made me go ooooooooh, then I thought of your cutouts.

http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2014/10/03/using-glass-chips-to-make-elsas-cape-sparkle/

Glitter is definitely the easiest way to go.  If you are still experimenting glass chips might be awesome.  Seal them up in glossy poly to keep the dirt out.  Put a blue spot light shining on the side of the cutouts to highlight the glass.

Have fun!

Archived