Lights Around My Windows

JR Kahuna

I have been pretty happy with my display with one exception. There is nothing on the house. We have a very tall house that sits on a sloped lot. So while I want to do more, I don't want to be a candidate for a Darwin Award.

One of the things I would like to do is put lights around all of my windows. We have 14 that would be exposed to the public. I am trying to think of the most efficient way of doing it without staples or nails etc.

I have been looking into using PVC, but as always, I never really got around to making it this summer.

I was wondering if I could string them around the aluminum using a Dewalt glue gun? Has anyone tried that before? Would it even hold (I am thinking of using C5 LEDs)? Would they damage the frames when I went to remove them?

Any other ideas on a quick way to decorate around the windows? 

If I can't come up with something, I may have to wait until next year.

I just made PVC frames and zip tied the lights them the same size as my Windows - the window frames are white - so is the PVC - From the street you can hardly see the PVC - I made them several years ago for my other house.  Moved to a new house and had to do it again - I did it last year - took awhile to make them - there were 13 windows - This year it took about 30 minutes to mount them to the windows. What ever it takes to save time.

If your window frame interior or exterior will take a magnet you could use these. I've used them for commercial installs and they worked well. If it won't take a magnet you could use small binder clips and clip them to the siding or window frame.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/64015/HLS-MAGCLIPC7.html?utm_source=SmartFeedGoogleBase&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=HLS-MAGCLIPC7&utm_content=Christmas+Light+Clips&utm_campaign=SmartFeedGoogleBaseShopping&gclid=CJrFvKa_o8ECFRJp7Aod2CcAyw

I did pvc as well each window has taken roughly an hour. That is cut wrapped(3colors) and ziptyed. I think it will be a big time saver.
How do you attach the PVC to the window without damaging the window using nails etc?

I put my lights up on the inside of the window using PVC, I use "T"s on the ends of the frame and add small pieces of PVC to hold them in the window with tension.  No mounting necessary at all.  Of course this will only work if you are powering from inside the house.  I do a static display so I do not need to worry about connecting to any kind of power sequencing.

I too have wood framed windows and use either cup hooks or eyelets pried into hooks.  For 1/2 inch PVC, the adequate cup hooks or eyelets screws are not visible unless you are directly in front of the windows.  Another plus is that they make only pin sized holes.

• 4 weeks later...

I just made PVC frames and zip tied the lights them the same size as my Windows - the window frames are white - so is the PVC - From the street you can hardly see the PVC - I made them several years ago for my other house.  Moved to a new house and had to do it again - I did it last year - took awhile to make them - there were 13 windows - This year it took about 30 minutes to mount them to the windows. What ever it takes to save time.

Glenn, PLEASE advise as to how you attach the pvc to the window frame. I am STRUGGLING to come up w a solution.

I too use little stainless eyelets all over and then use 4" zip ties to fasten my lights to them.  I leave em screwed in all year long.  They are so small no one notices.  I use them on my eaves to help hold the weight so the shingle clips aren't working so hard too.

I have vinyl windows and they have a "lip" that runs around the outside.   I use the plastic gutter hooks to attach behind the lip and then zip tie to em.

I use the little metal 1 sided screw - 1/2 inch pipe mounts - HD has them for about $3 for a pack of 8 or 12. I drilled a small hole in the metal window frame and the mount holds them really well - After Christmas I leave the screw in the hole and spray painted it white to match the frame.

I use the little metal 1 sided screw - 1/2 inch pipe mounts - HD has them for about $3 for a pack of 8 or 12. I drilled a small hole in the metal window frame and the mount holds them really well - After Christmas I leave the screw in the hole and spray painted it white to match the frame.

Glenn, any chance you could email me a photo to [email protected]?

I too use little stainless eyelets all over and then use 4" zip ties to fasten my lights to them.  I leave em screwed in all year long.  They are so small no one notices.  I use them on my eaves to help hold the weight so the shingle clips aren't working so hard too.

I have vinyl windows and they have a "lip" that runs around the outside.   I use the plastic gutter hooks to attach behind the lip and then zip tie to em.

Qberg, any chance you could email a photo to me at [email protected]?

I only have the J-Channel on the top and sides of the windows, a different trim piece is on the bottom.   I have the same on the doors however (where you don't need to light the bottom) and found that rope-light can be tucked in behind the J-channel and it gives off a really neat -glow- to the door frames.  

I have full screened windows.  The screens were removed and a 1/2" cpvc frame was made to fit in the screens place.  Just like the screen, the top of the cpvc frame has two screws that go through the frame and into the holes where the screen mounted.  Then I zip tie the bottom of the frame the mounting hole.  I use rope light and black electrical tape for the extra rope light.  I painted the frame to match the house/window color.

post-18011-0-30196300-1415380055_thumb.j

post-18011-0-11844800-1415380069_thumb.j

post-18011-0-68160800-1415380079_thumb.j

Archived