Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maxxlights

There Is No Way I Am Going To Meet My Self Imposed Thanksgiving Night Deadline!

A very strenuous undertaking my first year LOR and I am doing 176 channels and 115000 lights.... 

Ive been working on it for almost a month..... I have issues everywhere I turn as I wrap trees and half the strings go out on and on and on

The family well they have THURSDAY night on their brain and I will have a display and a sequence to show them but there is no way I will be DONE and the entire thing will be ready to go.  

What do you do when its the 7th innning stretch you work a job.... get up early and go outside.... work ... come home at lunch and early from work it gets dark at 445pm and you work in floodlights till you know you are in trouble so go inside at 10:30 and eat then stay up sequencing until 1 even 2am and know each and every moment that it isnt going to get any better its just going to get worse and the pressure is killing me....

My fun and joy is being replaced with lookin so forward to taking this crap down in January and having some peace and quiet and enjoying a spare moment or 2.....

LOL said in humor and at the same time there is a whole lot of truth to what I am experiencing!

Words of wisdom?   

PS and dont say you shoulda gone smaller..... im a man ..... a MANS MAN and in my world its go big or go HOME!

Like your enthusiasm, but with such a huge first time undertaking, you can expect that level of stress with it. I have been at it for almost 6 years and only have 64 channels. It is hard enough working shift work 7 days a week to get that many done. But the day it feels like a burden vs a joy, it will be the last time the lights come on. I keep it simple, but interesting enough for those that enjoy them so much. Plan to add two controllers for '15 and maybe two more for '16, but that is all. That will be to double my lights on mega tree, and add two more arches. The other two will be for more individual control rather than sharing channels. No desire to add any extra "burdens" as then it becomes "expected". Good luck, and don't stress over it. Truth is, you never will be "done"....lol!!

Steve

A very strenuous undertaking my first year LOR and I am doing 176 channels and 115000 lights.... Ive been working on it for almost a month..... I have issues everywhere I turn as I wrap trees and half the strings go out on and on and on The family well they have THURSDAY night on their brain and I will have a display and a sequence to show them but there is no way I will be DONE and the entire thing will be ready to go. What do you do when its the 7th innning stretch you work a job.... get up early and go outside.... work ... come home at lunch and early from work it gets dark at 445pm and you work in floodlights till you know you are in trouble so go inside at 10:30 and eat then stay up sequencing until 1 even 2am and know each and every moment that it isnt going to get any better its just going to get worse and the pressure is killing me.... My fun and joy is being replaced with lookin so forward to taking this crap down in January and having some peace and quiet and enjoying a spare moment or 2..... LOL said in humor and at the same time there is a whole lot of truth to what I am experiencing! Words of wisdom? PS and dont say you shoulda gone smaller..... im a man ..... a MANS MAN and in my world its go big or go HOME!
I haven't gotten in to LOR or ny sequencing. I am old fashioned. Just LOTS of lights everywhere. I have had years where it felt like nothing went right. I too want them on the night before Thanksgiving. Four years ago, I got everything up. My sister and her family were coming down for a visit and I wanted everything on when they pulled in the driveway. I hit the mark and thought everything was perfect. THEN about 11 PM while we were all nestled in bed, I heard screeching brakes and a BIG crash. Some fifteen year old without a drivers license "borrowed" his grandmothers BMW and was joyriding with one of his buddies who happened to live in our neighborhood. The little guy thought it would be a good idea to do 70 MPH (yes 70 MPH) down our winding cul de sac neighborhood that has a 25 MPH speed limit. He lost control of the car and went through my yard tearing up $6000 in brand new landscaping and took out about 60% of my display. Although I was glad nobody was hurt, I wanted to cry and I wanted to water board the little SOB. Because he destroyed so much, I couldn't just replace what he destroyed because then it wouldn't match and look the way it wanted. I literally had to start all over. The insurance took very good care of me because the adjuster was appalled and said "OMG you really put a lot into your ,lights and this kid destroyed it. Name your number". Needless to say I was able to switch everything over to LED which I wanted to do anyway. I never did get the display where I wanted and it wasn't until the second week of December before I got what little I did finished but people still loved it. The point of the story is that I only I really knew the display wasn't what I wanted. Nobody said "hey why didn't you......?" Take it easy on yourself and get done what can or you will stop having fun and it isn't going to last. JMO

I know the feeeling, my first year I only did 64 channels but felt very over whelmed. When I received a home made Christmas card from some children saying the lights really made a special Christmas for them.  It was all worth it.

The same family comes by every year now as a family tradition. They leave small gifts on the step then leave without ringing the door bell. That feeling of giving people something special is what keeps me doing it every year.

Cheers,

Lee

I am 97% done. We have a very mature Japanese Maple that I usually just wrap lights around. Thus year I thought it would be a great idea to wrap each branch. Arrrrrrgggghhhhh. I took a beating and two and a half hours later only half finished. I guess I will finish tomorrow. Other than that the kids always put lights on their playset and I am done.

Maxxlights, I can so relate, made the jump from 16 to 128 this year, both static and animated display all rolled up in one... Its overwhelming yes.. but I am making the decision to get to a stop point with the display.. wait till launch is over, then add to it when no one is looking.. until I am satisfied. while we are not at 115k in lights, we went from 6500 incans to over 25,000 LEDs (now that hurt the pocketbook) and have not finished the counts.. When you sit back and say.. It is finished.. for now.. then you will go back and change this or add this..  we are our own worst critic. no one other than us has a clue what we go through.. Enjoy the lighting ceremony.. its almost 3:30 am and I am writing because its the first chance I have. Our show starts this Saturday and I am estimating a turn out of 40-60 people... they have expectations but even if I don't finish my own expectations far exceed theirs every year. 

At least my family is the only ones here.....  I called it a soft opening..

I will have SOME lights one and up and running.... REAL deadline is Dec 1 

Still a long shot

Got quite a bit done today. Started our first channel tests and 3 of my controllers were hard set to same id... that was a pain to troubleshoot. Afterward ran our demo thx test and was proud... at least the first 75 channels or so are working as planned. Only about 50 more to go! but it was impressive. Cant wait till opening night...

I get so stressed out this time of year. No matter how much planning I'm always behind schedule and a couple of days late lighting up. I've never actually had a light up party as I know it would not be ready. I'm sitting here right now waiting for first light to get out and work on wiring. Still about 50,000 light and the 60 controllers left to get out.

I get so stressed out this time of year. No matter how much planning I'm always behind schedule and a couple of days late lighting up. I've never actually had a light up party as I know it would not be ready. I'm sitting here right now waiting for first light to get out and work on wiring. Still about 50,000 light and the 60 controllers left to get out.

Good Morning Bill, In same boat just have not got it all done, got controllers out, no data at all. Still have several static things to set up and hang lights on house 3 across the street but if it gets done great if not then they will have to come back, its not like we are getting paid for this. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Max wow!

I doubt any of us could pull off 176 channels and 115000 lights in a month!

Next year start earlier (you now know why).

I get as much up as I can before Halloween so I don't have to deal with the minus fricken cold temps of Nov. as much.

I keep saying I want to have everything set up in Sept next year...

As I am setting up fingers bleeding ( I can't bee the only one that get these every year) and cold I wonder why I do this??? I forget the first time I see a child dance on the sidewalk or press their smiling face against the window.

Max do what you can and call it a day!

About 75% done. Finishing up tomorrow and Saturday if needed. About 19,000 lights and it stresses me out with school and everything......it 2 hours today to get my arches to where they won't fall over. And yes people say it looks awesome, but then you can always point out the part you don't like, or how that one light on that one bush needs to be moved over 1cm.

Good Morning Bill, In same boat just have not got it all done, got controllers out, no data at all. Still have several static things to set up and hang lights on house 3 across the street but if it gets done great if not then they will have to come back, its not like we are getting paid for this. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving.

Right back at you Roger, happy Thanksgiving.

I was hoping to get everything plugged in this weekend w/ lighting on Dec 2. (my wife's birthday) but last night we go 14" of snow, cant even find the ends of the cords on the trees to be able to plug them in and all the Nativity molds will be sitting a foot higher than the manger unless I get out the snow blower and clear out the front yard! all the rebar is in just have to drop the blow molds over the steel and plug them in. All 9 of the controllers are tested, but they're still in the shed 1000's of feet of extension cords to lay out yet! good thing most everything is in the same place as before and the cords are marked .

May have to put REAL Candles on that Birthday celebration at this rate!!!!!!!