Where do you put all the stuff?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thyno z wrote:

yeah........ i built it thinking i was going to raise a family in there one day. just hasnt happened yet :{

tbl33_01 wrote:

Thyno, youlonely guy. Come up to Chicago, I have some unattached female relatives (Greeks) and a couple of single friends who love warm weather! They're used to light fanatics, sothey are already broken in! Opa! :waycool:

• 2 weeks later...

Well my stuff goes eveywhere. I re use most times as much as possible for evey holiday. I have big plastic bins that colors lights are in sorted by color in the garage. I have some other things such as the raindeer and wreaths in the garage. I have a box of multis in my room. Theres also stuff in the attic. And finally the most useful space the my dads greenhouses :) i can put things under the shelves that the plants are on where most of my blowmolds are with a clear plastic bag over them and some things that hang from the ceiling! You just need to pack things close :)

• 2 weeks later...

First off if for some reason this shows up a few times I appoligize! I closed the 1st one by accident and the next one I previewed it and when I came back it expired!:X

After moving to this house 5 yrs ago I needed space quick. As my attic is full of insulation I decided tohang 2 4x8 sheets of plywood from the ceiling. I used 1/2" but if I was to do it again Iwould use 3/4" as I have had a ton of weight on this over the years. I made so it could be adjusted in height if needed to be. I can still park a mini van under it so it just uses dead space anyway.

Peggy13

post-2938-129570973393_thumb.jpg

Storage is very easy for us because we don't save/store a lot stuff.. we have a Pole Barn (for the boat, tractor, etc) with an attic and that's where we store everything.. everything gets stored in a plastic bin.. for our ornaments, we wrap them in acid-free tissue and put them in plastic ornament bins.

Peggy13 wrote:

After moving to this house 5 yrs ago I needed space quick. As my attic is full of insulation I decided tohang 2 4x8 sheets of plywood from the ceiling. I used 1/2" but if I was to do it again Iwould use 3/4" as I have had a ton of weight on this over the years. I made so it could be adjusted in height if needed to be. I can still park a mini van under it so it just uses dead space anyway.

Peggy13

Mini van yes, but do you park your expensive Jag under the sword of Damocles?:)

• 2 weeks later...

all of our outdoor stuff that can handle the heat of summer in the trusses of the garage. the heaviest of these things (bins of lights, etc.), live along the back, where the truss is supported by the wall of the garage. farther out i've secured 2x4's between the bottom chord of the trusses and the roof to add a little strength (we're talking about 32 foot spans here so breaking chords is a concern). all of my lights are on reels inside of 12 gallon totes from akro-mils (http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product.asp?product=301894zz&dept%5Fid=20200&subdept%5Fid=20211). i picked up 8 or 10 of these 2 years ago at target and unfortunately haven't been able to find them since although i've been looking and would very much appreciate tips on acquiring about a dozen more. the indoor decorations stay in bins under the stairs in the basement and on shelving in the laundry room. i'm planning on taking this holiday season and rearranging some of the storage items when i have everything taken out to make for more efficient use (and add some more 3/4" osb in the garage rafters :) )

I have to have everything organized, I can't stand it when everything is not in its place. I keep all my lights wrapped on those six light organizer holders, according to color, all blue on one, all red on one, etc. I keep each set of my net lights in a white plastic bag, tied off with like Green wrote large on the bag with a green marker and Red with a red marker and on down the line. That way you know what is in the bag, they are not together to get tangled and have less light problems. I have big hard plastic containers with the flip lids that I store them all in. Then all the plastic containers are stacked up on each other in my 2 story guest house. All my blowmolds my 4ft. and 6ft nutcrackers and all animation is wrapped in large pastic black lawn bags and either taped or tied, so not to get damaged and kept new looking. All my wreaths or hung up so not to get smashed. My garland are all kept together in several boxs as are all my fake snow. I also keep my large fancy bows that I decorate with in large long boxs, so not to get them damaged.Everything is organized and easy to find, but all my Christmas stuff takes up the whole top floor and I have to putsome big pieces downstairs like all my wireframes.:happytree:

As of now all lights go into 3 rollaway trash bins each bagged in plastic grocery bags, rolled away under house. The 50 drop cords get rolled up and put intostorage bins. As with the 3 inflatables in a storage bin. As far as the house decorations, we have 9 cats do I need say more. Lots of laughs.

All my halloween and Christmas stuff goes in large storage bins from Target. Except for some yard art I get everything in the bins. After last Christmas I spent a weekend decking in over 100 sp. feet of extra attic space. Works good so far as I went crazy on Christmas again this year. Storage seems to be in order, my problem is power for my new LOR's. Gotta go, fm transmitter just got delivered.

Santaman wrote:

Chuck,

I'm going to have 20,000 plus lights up this year. Some are 35 feet up in the air. Whatsyour advice about leaving them in the trees. The lights arevery lose and the tree can grow without affeting them. Whats your idea about this. I bought these this year also.

Chuck, Not only will they fade but squirels will wreak havoc on them.

Bill

• 1 month later...

I use 20 gal. plastic storage boxes. They are just the right size (for me), they are easy to move around, not to heavy and are great for storing all my decorations. I also label all of the boxes so I know what is in each box. Luckily for me, I have a side room off of my garage to store all my stuff. I would suggest going to where ever you get storage bins...Kmart, Walmart, etc., and try them out, at the store. See which size works the best for you, then go with that size. Hope this helps???

When we built our home a few years back, one of the main requirements was that the 3 car garage have large drop down openings in the ceiling so that it would be easy to lift items up and in when it came time to put it all away. (My least favorite thing to do). We also had our house wired under the eaves for plugs. Crazy huh? Anyway my husband is a great packer and we use alot of big plastic tubs. Its just the 2 of us but we manage to get it done. We are almost at capacity though.

Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and this Monday coming a Wonderful and Happy New Year!

I had written a while back for information and photos of how you store you Christmas Decorations. Well the time is starting or coming soon for all of us so as you go about putting you items away please snap a few photos and post them for us all to get ideas.

I will be using these photos and descriptions to work with 2 friends of mine that haveagreed to help in finding a better way to store our items.

One friend is a home architect and the other is a designer at Rubbermaid. We are trying to come up with some ideas to help all of us to better store our items.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

What's been working for me are the "Bankers Box" carboard file storage containers. They're pretty inexpensive (Costco has them) and they're very durable as long as they don't get wet. The size is perfect; most of my stuff fits inside them and they're small enough so that even heavy loads (like a box full of extension cords) is still manageable.

They stack very well; 9 or 10 high under an average ceiling. You can put a lot in a small space with these. I can put 15 bundled strings of mini lights in each one with no problem.

I built some storage platforms in the crawl space under my 1/2 story; moving things in and out of there is a nuisance due to the low overhead, but they're out of sight and out of mind during the off season.

The manufactured display items get stored in their own boxes; really odd sized and shaped things go inside garbage bags. I've got this year's display boxed and ready to go under the house now - wow, it's an impressive pile. I'm putting off doing the "duck walk" under the house for a few more days...

Randy G wrote:

Analogvideo wrote: Analog, Sam's Club and Costco both have blue topped 12 gal bins. Check 'em out.

Be sute to stick with Contico. I bought a dozen Sterilite bins of a similar design when I remodeled my bedroom. a few months later more than half were cracked. The plastic seems thick enough but it fractures. I have broken very few Contico crates.

• 5 months later...

I built 2 shelves in my pool cabana to store about 60 blow molds

Another 40+ are tucked up in the cellar in the floor joists

I have a back patio that has underneath - blow molds & wire frames

A storage area next to the patio that will measure about 5' x 15' will be filled with more decorations

I have 2 shelving units in the utility room for airblowns

Then I have a big shelving unit in the basement that I am slowly taking over

And the rest of the basement is filling up

Basically....I am putting them everywhere

Robert Cox wrote:

i have almost all the lights and inflatables in the garage, see pic,

the pantry under the front porch holds all the blowmolds, but is now full, so they are overflowing into the garage

bob

Where's the Car?

:laughing: