Looking For Advice

nsterzenbach

A friend asked me for some decorating help. He lives in an apartment, his building has a balcony decorating contest for a free months rent. Picture is below. He is wanting to create a gingerbread house look on the balcony. I thought I would reach out to crowdsource some ideas. This will be a static display since all of my controllers are being used in my display. 

At this point we do not have time to create any wood cutouts. 

I look forward to hearing your ideas. Thanks in advance!

post-11406-0-01428100-1418314719_thumb.j

Keep it different, everyone else will be doing perimeter lights or net lights on that rail.  A few quick ideas:  1. Take those small planter boxes on the inside of the fence and move them to the outside, centering them on the three sections.  Fill them with greens/poinsettias and adorn with red/green lights.  Wrap ribbon around them and some bright bows as well.  2. Rope light tucked in behind the corner molding of the siding will add a nice 'glow' to the patio.  3. Wrapping lighted garland on the support rails, if it isn't done already.  4. Make up a free standing lamppost (pvc and plywood) and add some blow mold carolers. Or get some large sized dolls from the Salvation Army store and dress them as Gingerbread Carolers.  Is there any reason not to light the bushes in front of the patio to extend the display out a bit???    Good Luck, and don't forget to post pics of the final job.

if you want a gingerbread type theme, I have done a couple things. If you get some glitter foam sheets from a craft store and cut them in half moon shapes and layer them to look like candy all applied to maybe some Coro? for easy attachment to the front of that balcony. You can make large candy "lollipops" out of a cellophane bag that is used to wrap baskets. You can use some coiled up skinny pool noodles or flat circular styrofoam. and then do some outlines and accentuate with swag lights you can use Coro to make a "Chalet" style awning that looks like snow with some clear rope light behind it for some illumination. Ill look for some pics. 

I would illuminate it with flood lights for overall affect, then go get a couple candy canes, and make some stuff as imjustagirl22 suggested, can always buy as many lights as doable and hang them from the "roof" in a pattern swirling out from the center of it. I would alternate red green and white

We do a gingerbread theme on our house....it just fits the house style.  Coro is quick and easy to work with.  Contact a local sign shop and you can get 4x8' sheets for less than $20, cut out some shapes, quick spray paint and you can have it done in a day or two.  Light weight and easy to zip tie anywhere.

We have a lot of "Candy" in our house.  Along the roof I have the gemmy peppermint pathway markers and added coro peppermint sticks to the vertical trim.  Icicle lights look good for the icing on the roof line.  I have 2 3' gingerbread cutouts under a candycane arch at the front door.

post-8503-0-16854500-1418559176_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Archived