Recording Your Display?

The SnowMan

Hello everybody,

Sorry if this is in the wrong topic but I'm wondering how everybody records their display? I've used my iPhone but the audio isn't the best. I have an old digital camera but that was worse. Just wondering what I need to do to get mine to look like the good ones on YouTube? With a only a couple weeks left? I'd like to get this done. Thanks

Jason.

if your camera has a mic input, you hook up a small fm transmitter. The way I record my shows is by having a radio near my camera when recording and when edit the video I listen for either the first sound of music or a very prominent sound in the song and then I align that mark up with the MP3 file so the audio is perfect.

As far as the video, look to see if your camera allows for manual focus.

I don't think any of the phones have an audio/mic port, so like mentioned above, you are stuck with dubbing - not fun.   I have a cheep pocket camcorder & plug an MP3/FM radio into the mic and get clear audio without editing any audio tracks.  BTW, I use a splitter, so I can both record & have headphones on during the recording, so I know when to start & stop the recordings.

If you use Microsoft movie maker (not a great program but free!) it's pretty easy.  Load your video, in movie maker, turn the volume all the way down, add your MP3 of the song, adjust the MP3 start time so that it matches up with  the video and save.  You now have clean sound for your video.

Even if  you have a mic input on your recording device, you should still dub the original audio back in for the best quality. Super easy, although it is even easier if you have some sort of audio recorded with your video to help line it up.  The free Microsoft Movie Maker is okay, but the timeline only allows you to jump in certain intervals and sometimes it's hard to get it perfect.  I just started using Sony Movie Studio ($70 I think) with great success, plus it has many more features.

Camera-wise, you get what you pay for in most cases.  The more manual control features the better.  Setting focus and light filter combination takes some learning, and you should also have a tripod for to keep things steady.

Also consider shooting your display just past dusk or right before dawn.  You can shot it over and over as the light changes and pick one.  I picked this up from a photograph mag.

Shooting just as there's almost no light puts just enough in the air to make a huge difference balancing the frame.

my .02.

Archived