Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scot Meyers

Have We All Gotten Crazy?

Remember  the days of the old Christmas displays c7 c9  blowmolds cutouts and wireframes.   the simple displays where you used to be able to find just about anything at Walmart Kmart or any other dept. store and we threw it in our yards just to have Christmas spirit

While the spirit has not left us I do however believe with the new technologies of the turn of the century we have begun to loose our sanity.

Drew Hickman introduced us to Dasher.  Dan Baldwin to Light o Rama  and with computer control came THE SHOW!!  short range transmitters  and channel counting.  we turned a corner with the ability to reproduce  some of the old days.  with a bit of flair.  being able to light up our blow mold displays piece by piece as the Christmas story was being told.  and then we were building Mega trees.  and some of us took it one step further recreating the memoriesof our youth. we reintroduced window displays of out past by converting gemmy life size animated so they could be operated by computers. 

Some of us took the time to introduce motion.   Running trains. Ferris wheels  and other motion displays.  

while this is all well and good.  I have to say how concerned I am for the future.  In my opinion we have lost the fun of the hobby to You Tube and Vimeo.  Have we lost the fun of creating the display to compete?  to the preverbial  look at me see what I did and what I can do.   Have we lost the magic for the GREAT Christmas light Fight?  to be seen on national television and then to have to deal with the ramifications of traffic from being seen on tv?

While I too was caught up in the look at me.  look at what I can do.  while I thought I was doing good  giving Christmas to those in the area.  raising money for charity.    it took a hard fall to realize I was wrong.    Over the past 2 years  our family was forced into a bad situation with DHS.  I was forced to sell all I had in my display to fight to save my family.   In the end I lost a son. and almost went broke financially.    and to watch my beloved display loaded on a tuck for Washington was an most unbearable heart break.   

It took the hard fall to rock bottom to realize that Christmas is not about my super big animatronic and motion display.  but that my Family was the most important.  and that the real reason for the season is Jesus and what he did for me.  and how he rescued my family.    

So this year I put up my lights on the house  and put up the only pieces I kept in the sale of my display...  MY NATIVITY...   See,  It was Gods grace that came down that night in Bethlehem.   And it was God's grace that saved my family.   So some day I may rebuild my display.   But it will no longer be about me. look what I can do  it wont be to get noticed by local news.  it wont be about getting it on you tube or vimeo.    It will be just about sharing the reason for the season.   to celebrate why God sent his son.  it will be about family. it will be about giving not just to others..  but giving of ourselves.   

It won't be about how many channels I have or how many bulbs are in the display.  its not about the great light fight or being #1 in the local Christmas competition.   its about Family.  its about others  and mostly its about Jesus.  

As we look to 2015.  may we have a retrospect to see just who we do it for  and why do we do it 

Remember the days of the old Christmas displays c7 c9 blowmolds cutouts and wireframes. the simple displays where you used to be able to find just about anything at Walmart Kmart or any other dept. store and we threw it in our yards just to have Christmas spirit

While the spirit has not left us I do however believe with the new technologies of the turn of the century we have begun to loose our sanity.

Drew Hickman introduced us to Dasher. Dan Baldwin to Light o Rama and with computer control came THE SHOW!! short range transmitters and channel counting. we turned a corner with the ability to reproduce some of the old days. with a bit of flair. being able to light up our blow mold displays piece by piece as the Christmas story was being told. and then we were building Mega trees. and some of us took it one step further recreating the memoriesof our youth. we reintroduced window displays of out past by converting gemmy life size animated so they could be operated by computers.

Some of us took the time to introduce motion. Running trains. Ferris wheels and other motion displays.

while this is all well and good. I have to say how concerned I am for the future. In my opinion we have lost the fun of the hobby to You Tube and Vimeo. Have we lost the fun of creating the display to compete? to the preverbial look at me see what I did and what I can do. Have we lost the magic for the GREAT Christmas light Fight? to be seen on national television and then to have to deal with the ramifications of traffic from being seen on tv?

While I too was caught up in the look at me. look at what I can do. while I thought I was doing good giving Christmas to those in the area. raising money for charity. it took a hard fall to realize I was wrong. Over the past 2 years our family was forced into a bad situation with DHS. I was forced to sell all I had in my display to fight to save my family. In the end I lost a son. and almost went broke financially. and to watch my beloved display loaded on a tuck for Washington was an most unbearable heart break.

It took the hard fall to rock bottom to realize that Christmas is not about my super big animatronic and motion display. but that my Family was the most important. and that the real reason for the season is Jesus and what he did for me. and how he rescued my family.

So this year I put up my lights on the house and put up the only pieces I kept in the sale of my display... MY NATIVITY... See, It was Gods grace that came down that night in Bethlehem. And it was God's grace that saved my family. So some day I may rebuild my display. But it will no longer be about me. look what I can do it wont be to get noticed by local news. it wont be about getting it on you tube or vimeo. It will be just about sharing the reason for the season. to celebrate why God sent his son. it will be about family. it will be about giving not just to others.. but giving of ourselves.

It won't be about how many channels I have or how many bulbs are in the display. its not about the great light fight or being #1 in the local Christmas competition. its about Family. its about others and mostly its about Jesus.

As we look to 2015. may we have a retrospect to see just who we do it for and why do we do it

You are absolutely right Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas Scot and all!

I have a different take on your story. Many people have been telling us how our display brings them cheer and puts them in the Christmas spirit.

I agree that to some extent, we seem to lose ourselves. My wife and I have one rule. No matter what we do, we will say Merry Christmas to make sure we don't get lost in the Happy Holidays since it doesn't really exist anyways.

We live beside an atheist and that is alright with us. We don't judge anyone since it isn't our job. Somebody else is in charge of that.

Having said that, I fell sorry for the people on TV bragging about their lights just to win $50000 or whatever. Yes it would be nice to have that money but there is something that no money buys. The joy that I see through the eyes of kids old and young.

Like my little friend Grace that has been coming to see our display for the last 2 years to celebrate her Brain-iversary. That's December 18th where she hasn't had cancer in her brain for the past 4 years. The guy in Texas with 2 million lights, can't keep the trophy and money but I will keep Grace to myself.

I promised her that next year, on December 18, when she visit our display for the Brain-iversary, I would wear a pink tutu and dance a portion of the Nutcracker Suite just for her. That will be quite a sight to be seen. Hope there isn't too much Youtube fanatics looking at me that day.

So to recap, my display is less than 50000 lights, we will never be on battle of the lights or whatever they will call it, we raised over $45000 in the past 4 years for Make-A-Wish and we have seen every kid that we have been able to grant their wish. You see, each year, we are sponsoring a kid in our show. We call them the Star of the light show.

We also say Merry Christmas to keep Christ in there. We love making memories for every body coming to see the lights. As long as we have spectators, we will turn on the lights. When the eyes turn away from it all, we will turn off the lights as well.

Merry Christmas everyone and whatever you do with your lights, may you stay focused on one thing, keep happiness in your heart doing what you do best and the rest will follow.

Big Dan

Scott and Dan, Thank you for hitting a nerve that a lot of us, me included, may have lost sight of.  You are both right in more ways than one.  Over the years we sometimes loss sight of what its all about.  Thanks

I agree with you BigDPS. I could never ever afford all of the lights and props the people on the shows have. I am just as happy with the display that I have and I am constantly thinking of ways to improve it from year to year. But, it will NEVER compare to the giant shows on Battle of the Bulb as you said.

I agree with you all,  I am at 32 channels and will probably never go any higher.  But I have dedicated my to 2 families in the past two years who lost love ones with a large banner.  As I tell people, if it's just me who see my display I am still doing it.  I don't look for crowds.  I have nothing against those with bigger shows than me, but I am not in a competition.  I get a card from one lady in the neighborhood every year telling me how I brighten up her Christmas. I haven;t even met her she just leaves it on my stoop every year.  Just my 2 cents.

It's intereting to read these comments. I've studied the history of Christmas lighting and Christmas displays for over a decade. One of the Christmas Lighting guides from the 50's stated that when you design your lighting display keep in mind the dramatic effect of dark areas contrasted by areas of light. Basically you can have a very striking and effective display and not have to light every square inch of your house and yard. My display is a static display of all incandescent lights. My goal is to recreate a typical yard from the 60's with the exception of adding clear, miniature lights. Just about every time I'm in my yard, replacing a burned out lamp or adjusting a string of lights that the wind displaced, someone who's drving by will stop, roll down their window and tell me how they really like my display. That's enough for me.

I think for the average homeowner in the near future, it will trend towards "less is more."

Here's my display: http://christmaslightfinder.com/display.php?ID=1555

Here are actual emails left on my site that help me keep going:

For the past 3 years since my family moved to Lincoln we always plan an evening to go and see your amazing light show as well
as make our donation.  I love watching the show, as it truly helps put me in the Christmas spirit and having 2 nephews with special needs
love that you collect donations for make a wish. Your show is a great family outing and it helps me teach my daughter the importance of
giving to others.  Tonight I was in awe when you gave my daughter a stuffed animal in return for her donation.  Truly a magical moment
that helps me as a parent instill the importance of helping others as well as showing when one does good deeds, good comes back around.  
Thank you for helping the Fredericton area share in the spirit of giving.  Sincerely  A.

Tonight was our first night getting to see your show.  We came two years ago but the lineup was really long and it was a very cold night and our four month old was screaming in the back seat so we left.  Last year we were so busy we never got a chance to come but this year we finally did and it was worth the wait!!  And a special thank you to the "Hugger" who gave me two huge bear hugs when I went up to put some money in the donation box.  Thanks so much for doing what you do with this light show.  My kids loved it and even my Grinch husband thought it was really good!  Merry Christmas to you!

Just want to say a heartfelt thank you for doing what you do. It is a wonderful show and has added a new Christmas tradition to many families. Your efforts are very much appreciated. God Bless you and Merry Christmas!

Hi guys , what a great display. Just a question, my kids are looking for one of your songs and we haven't a clue hat song it is. Is it possible to get your playlist? Just to find that song? Would really appreciate it. Thanks

Just wanting to show the light show to someone before they leave town Sunday morning. Thanks. Appreciate everything you do.

These are just for this year. I could add more but you get the message. As long as people come see our shows, they will get a big hug from me and I will keep adding songs no one has ever heard before. That to me is what my display represents.

Funny someone told me the other day that I should enter these TV contests. I said no as I am happy with what I got. I'm sure no one would even look at a display that is so weather affected (especially when the rain we got is now freezing therefore pushing the lights out of their connections). :P

Thank you for sharing your personal stories. It's great to know that there are others out there with the same cares and concerns I have. God bless you, Matt

You're welcome. We also say the bad words like Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays as they are not happy for us but stressful. You see, for 12 days before Christmas, we stand outside beside our donation box and greet every donor with a smile and some candy canes. We go out at the beginning of the show at 6pm all the way until the end at 11pm. We also have dog treats for those who bring their pet dogs. We do this from the 13th of December until the 24th at night. This is on top of our working schedule. We are just starting to get caught up with our sleep. :wacko:

For the past 2 years, we have given out over 200 donated stuffed toys to kids.

That goes with the first story I posted. We love what we do and we like creating memories for oh so many families. This to us, is the true meaning of Christmas.

You're welcome. We also say the bad words like Merry Christmas instead of Happy Holidays as they are not happy for us but stressful. You see, for 12 days before Christmas, we stand outside beside our donation box and greet every donor with a smile and some candy canes. We go out at the beginning of the show at 6pm all the way until the end at 11pm. We also have dog treats for those who bring their pet dogs. We do this from the 13th of December until the 24th at night. This is on top of our working schedule. We are just starting to get caught up with our sleep. :wacko:

For the past 2 years, we have given out over 200 donated stuffed toys to kids.

That goes with the first story I posted. We love what we do and we like creating memories for oh so many families. This to us, is the true meaning of Christmas.

BigDPS,  I get where you are coming from but... To imply that the creators of these big displays are any less Christmas centric than you or have somehow lost the meaning of the season is a mistake and frankly, Insulting. Other than having huge displays what makes you think their motivation is any different than yours? Because they are on a tv show? Really? Do you actually believe the competitive jargon of the families is something they brought to the show?  

I have a pretty big display, It got that way by adding to it every year and after 24 years well it's big. Like most, I started decorating for my family and really did not realize that others were impacted or affected. 16 - 17 years ago when I was doing the tear down after Christmas, a woman stopped and introduced herself to me. She worked at the nursing home directly across the street and she wanted to let me know just how much the display meant to the residence there.To make a long story short, with a tear in her eye she told me of the comfort it brought one women in particular in her final days, as she passed two days after Christmas. I realized at that moment that this thing I was doing was far bigger than stringing lights on bushes.

Back to television shows.  Back in 2009 I was approached by producers to be on a TLC special, it eventually aired as "Invasion of the Christmas Lights". That shows original premise was much like GALF. They wanted to get four families with over the top displays to compete against each other. Fortunately for us the producer quickly realized  that although we wanted our displays to be the best they could be, even after a lot of coaching, they could not make the competitive aspect believable enough and  the entire format was changed into what eventually aired.  It seems the added incentive of a trophy and big bucks mixed in helped get the producers what they were looking for in this instance. But this is television, I wouldn't for a second judge a person by what is depicted on the screen. After all, these displays were not built in a year for the purpose of being on TV, they were built over many years and I would bet, with a very similar motivation as your own.  

For me, this is my hobby and it just so happens that I share it with anybody that's wants to come see it. I have had several people tell me that we should be on "that show". I just tell them "that's not for me". Our display is big, but we try to keep it somewhat traditional. We have 16 channels on a 18ft Z treeand now up to just over 50,000 lights. 75% of our display is static. We have a voice-over sequence that talks about Jesus being the reason for the season, another sequence that tells the story of his birth, and we ALWAYS say Merry Christmas.

On another note,There are a lot of very talented people in this hobby and I have learned a ton from them. I have asked Bill V several questions (some even the same question twice) and he graciously answered every time. Scot Meyers has posted some almost unbelievable how-to's. Just to mention a few. For that reason I thank them and everybody that posts here on PC.

thanks for the kind words.

All

This is good stuff.    

It brings hope back to a hobby that has spirialed out of control.   I am blessed by these stories of people coming to your display and sharing how you have blessed them.   THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT!! .   Its not about the trophy and its not about the prize money or the neighborhood competition.  Its about drawing families to displays that bring them together with smiles on thier faces.  a child like experience.  and the MAGIC of the season.    

For me its all this and so much more. 

You see CHRISTmas is about the real gift  and i make sure that story is told every year when i put it up.   If someone came to me and said  look.  you need to be on tv etc etc.   I tell them....  If God wants them to see my house he will lead them here.     That's why I have said what I said   thats why what ever I build I share with all of you.  Not to say look at me,  but to say hey if you want to add this feature to your display here is how to do it.   Because in the end its not a competition.   its about Sharing Christmas  wherever you live. 

@Bill,

By no means did I want to insult people like you, who have big displays. I was just trying to show that maybe too much publicity one way or another might just end us up as being too commercial.

In reference to big displays, does it mean that tour tiny are not worthy of appearing on TV because we are still in the 10 thousands level? Heck no. My mini display compared to yours has just as much merit. Unfortunately, TV audiences see the big as being BIG and the small as being, pfft. That's what irks me about those TV programs. Like you said, maybe it isn't the people who build it as much as those who puts it on TV.

That's were I stand.

PS: One day Id love to have as many lights as you do. Unfortunately, I'm starting to lose space to do so... :(

Well said Bill.   We also have a large static display.   It is also 24 years of collecting.   If I was doing it so people "would look at me"   I could flood this page with news articles about us.     Even could post what is said on my FB page for my display.     That is not why we do it.  We do not even enter any of the local light contests.      We do it for the thousands of kids that are in our yard having fun.   This is the first night since Thanksgiving that I am in the house.  I have either been outside talking to people, or playing Santa every night.

Everyone has their own reasons for doing this. Far be it from me to question anyone's motives. The one thing we all have in common is that we all started out with one string of lights at one point and for whatever reasons or whatever path we are where we are. I have watched TGCLF and after watching it, I have decided that the channels and programming are just not for me. I think it is too much and more work than I want to put in. Again, please don't take this as criticism, I have lots of respect for what everyone does and I know how much work it is. I just decided my static display is good enough for me. I too get a note in my mailbox from a lady who lives behind us every year. I have never met her. I think I understand the OPs sentiment about expectations of the TV show and not highlighting more modest displays, but I don't share it. To be honest even if they came calling, I wouldn't want to do it. I don't envy or fault those who do. It is modern day television and the publicity for the hobby isn't a bad thing. At the end of the day, if this were easy EVERYONE would do it. My boys are really getting into it and are coming up with ideas they want to incorporate. Some of them aren't my cup of tea, but I am letting them do it because I don't wants them to think their role in all of this is just hauling stuff around for me. Plus not all of my ideas are winners. And surprisingly my 8 year old came up with an idea to repurpose some yard lights we got at Home Depot and hang them in our maple tree next year. Pretty cool. We started taking stuff down today. Wanted to get ahead of bad weather coming and I have lots of business travel coming up. Keep up the great work everyone!!!!

I received three cards from strangers for my display this year but the last card was the best. I have attached a image if the inside of the card for everyone to understand exactly why I will keep doing this.

My display isn't huge, roughly 50k lights on 64 channels. I have to say that I wouldn't make it nearly what it is or continue to add to it (only 4 years old) if it weren't for all of the smiles I see on the faces of people from 2 to 92. I truly feel blessed that I am able to help create christmas memories for families. It is hard to find things to do as a family these days that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to do so I think the free displays that we all do are a wonderful thing.post-20454-0-58409800-1420251035_thumb.j

When I was young, we had no lights… all I did was get into fights… 

The other kids got Santa and gifts… and what I got was fights and fists…

When I grew up and all was well, I put up lights, and it made my heart swell…

I liked the glow of the “yellow-light” as it shimmered in silence all through the night…

The lights were great for 25 years, but I wanted more than static glare…

So I saw this thing called LOR and I was hooked… and then I emptied my pocketbook…

The years went by, I added more, I started feeling like a lighting hore(der)…

96 Channels and 30,000 lights, the neighbors in awe, we lit up the night…

LED’s and incandescents, the yellow glow, the bright fluorescents…

“How’d you that that?” they want to know, “its Elfin Magic that runs the show… “

30 days and 30 nights, Thanksgiving to Christmas we run the lights…

The music played from 6-10, and then to 11… When will it end? 

The neighbors came from miles around, to watch the lights, and hear the sounds…

TSO, and Mariah sang, the singing faces mirrored the sound…

I thought I had a great display, but then TGCLF came our way…

Video Mapping and DMX, RGB and Full-Duplex…

E.131 and xLights too, I think that I can do this too…

5 volt, 12 volt, pixels and nodes… I thought that my head would explode…

Mini, Mega, Monster trees, I was only praying there would be no breeze…

But Triacs failed, and GFIs tripped, my lights went dark, but the neighbors were lit…

Instead of relaxing enjoying the show, I was playing with high voltage in rain and snow…

I thought to myself, what is the point? The hundreds of hours, the money spent...

Then I see the discount e-mail…, Wal-Mart, Target, after Christmas Sales…

Then off I went to get what I could, whether or not I thought I should…

I put the pallets in the truck, and all my wife said was... “What the…. LUCK… J  …

And now I spend $2000 more on a storage shed to store some more…

I am already planning on next year’s show, trying to decide… “Where will it go?”…

The competition is getting tough, my “humble“ display is looking rough...

Other displays have Neon lights, millions of colors light up the night...

It looks like I’ll have to spend a lot more and countless hours with my eyes getting sore…

I cannot stop, I cannot quit, only 11 more months to get them lit…

The lights are down and all is dark, all I hear is a small dog bark…

In the distance, what do I see? One string of lights on a nativity...

I look in silence what seemed all night… I was in awe at that wonderful sight...

All of my lights and all of the songs… And suddenly it just seems wrong…

I will still do my “show”, with music and lights, and folks will come through Christmas night…

I can have music and thousands of lights, but just one light shines bright in the night…

To paraphrase the “Grinch”:

“How could it be so? HE came without LEDs! HE came without SONGS! HE came without power cords 20 miles long?” …

“I puzzled and puzzled till my puzzler was sore. Then I remembered something from years before…

Christmas, I thought... doesn't come from LOR... Christmas, I know... means a whole lot more! “

When I was young, we had no lights… all I did was get into fights… The other kids got Santa and gifts… and what I got was fights and fists… When I grew up and all was well, I put up lights, and it made my heart swell… I liked the glow of the “yellow-light” as it shimmered in silence all through the night… The lights were great for 25 years, but I wanted more than static glare… So I saw this thing called LOR and I was hooked… and then I emptied my pocketbook… The years went by, I added more, I started feeling like a lighting hore(der)… 96 Channels and 30,000 lights, the neighbors in awe, we lit up the night… LED’s and incandescents, the yellow glow, the bright fluorescents… “How’d you that that?” they want to know, “its Elfin Magic that runs the show… “ 30 days and 30 nights, Thanksgiving to Christmas we run the lights… The music played from 6-10, and then to 11… When will it end? The neighbors came from miles around, to watch the lights, and hear the sounds… TSO, and Mariah sang, the singing faces mirrored the sound… I thought I had a great display, but then TGCLF came our way… Video Mapping and DMX, RGB and Full-Duplex… E.131 and xLights too, I think that I can do this too… 5 volt, 12 volt, pixels and nodes… I thought that my head would explode… Mini, Mega, Monster trees, I was only praying there would be no breeze… But Triacs failed, and GFIs tripped, my lights went dark, but the neighbors were lit… Instead of relaxing enjoying the show, I was playing with high voltage in rain and snow… I thought to myself, what is the point? The hundreds of hours, the money spent... Then I see the discount e-mail…, Wal-Mart, Target, after Christmas Sales… Then off I went to get what I could, whether or not I thought I should… I put the pallets in the truck, and all my wife said was... “What the…. LUCK… J … And now I spend $2000 more on a storage shed to store some more… I am already planning on next year’s show, trying to decide… “Where will it go?”… The competition is getting tough, my “humble“ display is looking rough... Other displays have Neon lights, millions of colors light up the night... It looks like I’ll have to spend a lot more and countless hours with my eyes getting sore… I cannot stop, I cannot quit, only 11 more months to get them lit… The lights are down and all is dark, all I hear is a small dog bark… In the distance, what do I see? One string of lights on a nativity... I look in silence what seemed all night… I was in awe at that wonderful sight... All of my lights and all of the songs… And suddenly it just seems wrong… I will still do my “show”, with music and lights, and folks will come through Christmas night… I can have music and thousands of lights, but just one light shines bright in the night… To paraphrase the “Grinch”: “How could it be so? HE came without LEDs! HE came without SONGS! HE came without power cords 20 miles long?” … “I puzzled and puzzled till my puzzler was sore. Then I remembered something from years before… Christmas, I thought... doesn't come from LOR... Christmas, I know... means a whole lot more! “
That was really good

Wow, that was great! ;)

When I was young, we had no lights… all I did was get into fights… 

The other kids got Santa and gifts… and what I got was fights and fists…

When I grew up and all was well, I put up lights, and it made my heart swell…

I liked the glow of the “yellow-light” as it shimmered in silence all through the night…

The lights were great for 25 years, but I wanted more than static glare…

So I saw this thing called LOR and I was hooked… and then I emptied my pocketbook…

The years went by, I added more, I started feeling like a lighting hore(der)…

96 Channels and 30,000 lights, the neighbors in awe, we lit up the night…

LED’s and incandescents, the yellow glow, the bright fluorescents…

“How’d you that that?” they want to know, “its Elfin Magic that runs the show… “

30 days and 30 nights, Thanksgiving to Christmas we run the lights…

The music played from 6-10, and then to 11… When will it end? 

The neighbors came from miles around, to watch the lights, and hear the sounds…

TSO, and Mariah sang, the singing faces mirrored the sound…

I thought I had a great display, but then TGCLF came our way…

Video Mapping and DMX, RGB and Full-Duplex…

E.131 and xLights too, I think that I can do this too…

5 volt, 12 volt, pixels and nodes… I thought that my head would explode…

Mini, Mega, Monster trees, I was only praying there would be no breeze…

But Triacs failed, and GFIs tripped, my lights went dark, but the neighbors were lit…

Instead of relaxing enjoying the show, I was playing with high voltage in rain and snow…

I thought to myself, what is the point? The hundreds of hours, the money spent...

Then I see the discount e-mail…, Wal-Mart, Target, after Christmas Sales…

Then off I went to get what I could, whether or not I thought I should…

I put the pallets in the truck, and all my wife said was... “What the…. LUCK… J  …

And now I spend $2000 more on a storage shed to store some more…

I am already planning on next year’s show, trying to decide… “Where will it go?”…

The competition is getting tough, my “humble“ display is looking rough...

Other displays have Neon lights, millions of colors light up the night...

It looks like I’ll have to spend a lot more and countless hours with my eyes getting sore…

I cannot stop, I cannot quit, only 11 more months to get them lit…

The lights are down and all is dark, all I hear is a small dog bark…

In the distance, what do I see? One string of lights on a nativity...

I look in silence what seemed all night… I was in awe at that wonderful sight...

All of my lights and all of the songs… And suddenly it just seems wrong…

I will still do my “show”, with music and lights, and folks will come through Christmas night…

I can have music and thousands of lights, but just one light shines bright in the night…

To paraphrase the “Grinch”:

“How could it be so? HE came without LEDs! HE came without SONGS! HE came without power cords 20 miles long?” …

“I puzzled and puzzled till my puzzler was sore. Then I remembered something from years before…

Christmas, I thought... doesn't come from LOR... Christmas, I know... means a whole lot more! “

I received three cards from strangers for my display this year but the last card was the best. I have attached a image if the inside of the card for everyone to understand exactly why I will keep doing this. My display isn't huge, roughly 50k lights on 64 channels. I have to say that I wouldn't make it nearly what it is or continue to add to it (only 4 years old) if it weren't for all of the smiles I see on the faces of people from 2 to 92. I truly feel blessed that I am able to help create christmas memories for families. It is hard to find things to do as a family these days that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to do so I think the free displays that we all do are a wonderful thing.post-20454-0-58409800-1420251035_thumb.j
Well said, it's amazing when I see people come by to look and it just makes their night. I don't have an animated display but it's an awesome feeling when we all put countless hours in and get to see the result.