Cat5 Strain Relief

wichard623

After learning the hard way this year, I need to put some type of strain relief on my Cat5 cables. I was thinking just a simple eye hook with the cat5 run through it and zip tied but would like to see how others handle this problem.

Thanks

I hot glue the top of the connector to the board and zip tie the cat5 cable to one of the power cords.  The zip ties are a pain but I haven't pulled one out since I did used this method.

If your issue is tight bends at the connector, cables can be built with snagless boots.  I recommend the boots for color identity of cable function.  One color for 5V pixels, another for 12V. Another color for DMX or Renard.  Attached is a pic of a home made DMX cable with a sheath for times I can't hide a cable.  Under the sheath is a grey CAT5 cable.

post-21793-0-80293700-1426773806_thumb.j

The boot and heatshrink reduce breaks at the connector.

You can get short cat 5 extenders (12" approx) they have a male on one side and a female on the other, I use these from the controller connection to the outside of the controller and are zip tied to the controller box.  This way if a cat 5 gets pulled on it can ONLY damage the plug on the cat 5 not on the connector on the controller.

You can get short cat 5 extenders (12" approx) they have a male on one side and a female on the other, I use these from the controller connection to the outside of the controller and are zip tied to the controller box.  This way if a cat 5 gets pulled on it can ONLY damage the plug on the cat 5 not on the connector on the controller.

I use the same type (I think).......Got mine from LOR and they work great

Archived