Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Colson

Words of Wisdom From Famous People

These are some of my favorite words of Wisdom by famous people

[line]

Martin Luther King

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Martin Luther King, Jr

"The time is always right to do what is right."

Martin Luther King, Jr

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."

Martin Luther King, Jr

"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.

Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it.

Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it."

Martin Luther King, Jr

[line]

Ray Krock (Founder of Mcdonalds)

If you work just for money, you'll never make it, but if you love what you're doing and you always put the customer first, success will be yours.

Ray Kroc

While formal schooling is an important advantage, it is not a guarantee of success nor is its absence a fatal handicap.

Ray Kroc

The quality of a leader is reflected in the standards they set for themselves.

Ray Kroc

It's easy to have principles when you're rich. The important thing is to have principles when you're poor.

Ray Kroc

[line]

Mother Teresa

There are no great things, only small things with great love.

Mother Teresa

Just show up and things and things will happen.

Mother Teresa

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much.

Mother Teresa

It's not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.

Mother Teresa

If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

Mother Teresa

Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person.

Mother Teresa

The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it.

Mother Teresa

I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world.

Mother Teresa

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.

Mother Teresa

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.

Mother Teresa

Love begins by taking care of the closest ones-the ones at home.

Mother Teresa

Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired.

Mother Teresa

Unless a life is lived for others, it is not worthwhile.

Mother Teresa

I prefer you to make mistakes in kindness than work miracles in unkindness.

Mother Teresa

We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do.

Mother Teresa

To keep a lamp burning we have to keep putting oil in it.

Mother Teresa

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.

Mother Teresa

Peace begins with a smile.

Mother Teresa

What I do you cannot do; but what you do, I cannot do. The needs are great, and none of us, including me, ever do great things. But we can all do small things, with great love, and together we can do something wonderful.

Mother Teresa

If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your enemies.

Mother Teresa

The biggest disease today is not leprosy or tuberculosis, but rather the feeling of being unwanted.

Mother Teresa

We have not come into the world to be numbered; we have been created for a purpose; for great things: to love and be loved.

Mother Teresa

[line]

Franklin D. Roosevelt

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

To reach a port, we must sail - sail, not tie at anchor - sail, not drift.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Be sincere; be brief; be seated.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Peace, like charity, begins at home.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

If you treat people right they will treat you right - ninety percent of the time.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

There are many ways of going forward, but only one way of standing still.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Remember you are just an extra in everyone else's play.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

It isn't sufficient just to want - you've got to ask yourself what you are going to do to get the things you want.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

It is better to think of church in the ale-house than to think of the ale-house in church. -- Martin Luther (1483-1546)

5% of the people think. 10% of the people think they think and 85% would rather die than think.

--T. Edison

--Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

5% of the people think. 10% of the people think they think and 85% would rather die than think.

--T. Edison

--Daniel L

I like that! I need to add that to my list of quotes.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you doen to their level, then beat you with experience.

Moderation is the last refuge for the unmaginative.

Its easier to beg for forgivness, than to ask for approval.

[align=center]"To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here, age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]Walter E. Disney [/align]