How much dry ice?

mwalz

I'll be getting some tomorrow for Halloween to use in my fog chiller as well as in maybe a cauldron or something else like a carved pumpkin, how much dry ice do you guys normally get and how far will 10lbs get you? I've never used it before so am unsure of how much i need.,

• 1 month later...

I'll be getting some tomorrow for Halloween to use in my fog chiller as well as in maybe a cauldron or something else like a carved pumpkin, how much dry ice do you guys normally get and how far will 10lbs get you? I've never used it before so am unsure of how much i need.,

The refrigerator broke down a while back so I went to Kroger and bought some dry ice to keep things cold while I figured it out.  On the cooler where the dry ice is kept it said something like $2.99 which I assumed (incorrectly) meant that a 10 pound bag was $2.99.  I expected it to cost a little more than a bag of regular ice.  What I found out was that the price was PER POUND and that dry ice is REALLY expensive!  I found the smallest piece in the cooler and got busy repairing the fridge!

If you have an air compressor then there's a much cheaper way to make fog so that you can avoid the high cost of dry ice.  You need a container (bucket, witch's cauldron, etc.) and an air hose.  What you want to do is to have a short length of copper tubing with a fitting that will connect to your air hose.  You bend the end almost closed where just a tiny amount of air will leak out.  Then you put mineral oil in the bucket and stick the "slow leak" tube into it.  The cheap way to buy mineral oil is to buy a big bottle of baby oil at one of the big box discount stores.  For better instructions visit one of the Halloween forums and search for various methods of making fog.

TED

Archived