Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Bill V

Creative Displays LED's

Annalisa-

Any chance that you can post pictures of your C6s? Maybe you can take pictures of the different vendor's LEDs while you're in OK. I'm especially interested in comments about any noticeable flicker.

Margie

There may be two different flicker questions here...

margie wrote:

I'm especially interested in comments about any noticeable flicker.

1] The full-wave Creative Displays LEDs appear to be flicker-free. I can see the flicker on the half-wave Philips bulbs, especially while indoors, and especially if I jiggle the set around. The full waves look great.

2] Regarding my earlier flicker comment, the Creative Display LEDs, under LOR and at levels less than 25%... I think it is a LOR issue. The comment I'd be looking for, from others, is if they think these need a resistive load under LOR after all. I'm getting the same problem as I did with the Philips LEDs. This is pretty visible, but I'd want others to confirm (again, with LOR hardware).

I haveyet to run any sets with AL but it was the wildest thing......Strung a few strings on a bush out front after dark to check them out and the green lights....gave off red trails while being strung.....had to step back for a moment....these lights may require sunglass installs.:laughing:

Bill

yeah, I will ramp and fade 200amps....I will

I received my blue and white yesterday and I think they look great.

I may have to get somemore.

Looks like he is already out of blue, they are not on the site anymore.

Thanks Paul!

Bret

Alabama_Santa wrote:

I received my blue and white yesterday and I think they look great.

I thought that I would be the only one who went for a blue & white combo for Christmas!

I got mine yesterday, and they're awesome. I did notice that the white, blue, and (to a lesser extent) green bulbs aresignificantly brighter than the red, amber, and orange, especially the white, which are simplydazzling. So now I may have to go adjust the powerto my white strings, so they don't overpower the red strings (fortunately, those are the only "less bright" strings that will be in close proximity to the white).

One thing's for certain...NOBODY willoverlook my mega-tree this year! :waycool:

Also, now that I've seen the colors with my own eyes, I think the yellow/amber bulbs would go excellent on the star I need to build. I don't need 12 strands however, maybe only 3 or 4. Has anyone ordered a set ofamber lights that might be willing tosell me4strands at cost+incentive?

dtrammell wrote:

Also, now that I've seen the colors with my own eyes, I think the yellow/amber bulbs would go excellent on the star I need to build. I don't need 12 strands however, maybe only 3 or 4. Has anyone ordered a set ofamber lights that might be willing tosell me4strands at cost+incentive?

I want to go in for this split and get 4 sets of the amber C-6 Creative Display lights, too.

EDIT: Also an update on the heat issue. After several days, the cylinders are warm, but not hot. Also, the BLUE and WHITE strings have three of these cylinders (one in the middle), while the RED strings have two.

jmccorm wrote:

dtrammell wrote:

I want to go in for this split and get 4 sets of the amber C-6 Creative Display lights, too.

EDIT: Also an update on the heat issue. After several days, the cylinders are warm, but not not. Also, the BLUE and WHITE strings have three of these cylinders (one in the middle), while the RED strings have two.

That's great - now we just need one more person to go in on a set!

I agreewith the heat statement - these things don't hardly get warm at all, and even the cylinders are only body tempurature, if that.

I've uploaded a picture of a multi-color strandlying next toa white strand, for color/brightness comparisons:

post-2168-129570971411_thumb.jpg

I'll take the other 4 sets of yellow/amber. I received my red, white, blue and green sets this week. They are brilliant. Who'll place the order?

will you be getting more in this year?

Seems like we could have real problems mixing them and i would like to convert to all full wave?

jmccorm wrote:

I thought that I would be the only one who went for a blue & white combo for Christmas!

I think that we are far enough apart that it will not matter.:waycool:

Ha Ha

Bret

dtrammell wrote:

I've uploaded a picture of a multi-color strandlying next toa white strand, for color/brightness comparisons:

Can you please reduce the size of that picture? It's toowide whichcauses the need for side to side scrolling.

TED

Alabama_Santa wrote:

jmccorm wrote:

I think that we are far enough apart that it will not matter.:waycool:

Ha Ha

Oh, no. You don't understand. These LEDs are BRIGHT!

TED wrote:

dtrammell wrote:

Can you please reduce the size of that picture? It's toowide whichcauses the need for side to side scrolling.

TED

Wow, I thought 1024X768 was going to be small enough, but ok. I was able to cropthe originala bit to bring down the size, hopefully that's small enough.

Nooo - I've found a red string that's completely dead!:{

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot these things? From what I can tell, the bulbs aren't replaceable, but if I can figure out where the break is, maybe I can cut the bad bulb out, and keep the rest of the string working...any ideas?

I'd be wondering if it is a wiring fault. Looks like the wiring is pretty tight, so you can't just stick a probe wire up the connections to the individual LEDs.

Real quick question: did you open up an check the fuses in the plug?

jmccorm wrote:

Real quick question: did you open up an check the fuses in the plug?

You know what? I didn't...I'll do that first thing when I get home.

Just wanted to follow-up,

I'm pleased with my transactions with Creative Displays. I have no hesitations about being a repeat customer.

About the flicker issue with LOR, they say their next firmware release will fix the LED flicker problem...

http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum25/7298.html#p69788

...looks like I'm going to hold off on making all those resistive load plugs.

I received my creativedisplays.com order yesterday (Wed) from my weekend order (Sat), now that was fast!

I wish I had ordered more, nowafterI thought about it a little more I want some green and blue c6 strings as well... When I look, it looks like colors are selling out too fast for me.

By the way, I ordered a pack of the purple c6 lights, and they are gorgeous. These are going up for Halloween and Christmas!

:waycool:

-Jason

dtrammell wrote:

Nope, it wasn't the fuses...Iswapped inthe fusesfrom a good string, no change. Anyone else have any ideas?

Take them back and exchange them for a working string?

TED