Sand bags as counterweights

Ralph Priest

Thanks to our recent move, I have to come up with a new method for securing pieces on the roof. Many of our members have written they used sandbags as counterweights. So, my question is this: what type of bags are commonly used, and if they are something unusual, where would I purchase them?

I just purchased the tube sand bags you can get at any hardware store and I bought smaller empty sand bags from menards and i am going to fill those. I am also going to spray paint them so that they won't be visible at night and the smaller bags will be much easier to carry up onto the roof.

Thanks for the reply. I've been to two stores in search of these elusive bags with no luck---Home Depot and TSC. Can you tell me what I should ask for? The employees looked at me like I had "lobsters coming out of my ears" (A Christmas Story).

I used cinder blocks last year, my first with Santa and the reindeer on the roof, and but plan on sandbags this year, just for added safety. 

I placed the cinder block on the inside of the open part of the frame, and tie them directly to the frame, going thru the opening in the block.  There are two other cinder blocks on the other side as well, acting as counter weights.  The molds would have broken free before the wind would have been able to lift the thing up and over the peak of the roof.

santa frame.jpg

we own a moonwalk rental company and use a lot of sandbags.  these can be bought from several different moonwalk vendors, any size or color or can be custom made for you.  usually $10 -$15 each or so depends upon size color

• 1 month later...

I learned a cheap and easy way to make sandbags in the service for a rilfe support when we did long range shooting. We took old BDU pant legs and arms from shirts and tied them off at each end after filling them with sand. I'm sure if you go to a good will store you can find all the cheap sand bags your display will ever need.

Thanks to our recent move, I have to come up with a new method for securing pieces on the roof. Many of our members have written they used sandbags as counterweights. So, my question is this: what type of bags are commonly used, and if they are something unusual, where would I purchase them?

It's so interesting to read something like this.  I've considered using sand but it never occurred to me that finding a proper bag to put it in could be an issue!  Learn something new every day I guess!

Anyone ever consider going to a gun shop and using pre-filled bags of shot? Very heavy and concentrated in a small rugged bag.

That sounds like a good idea.  The best part would be when they ask, "What do you need so much shot for?" and you said, "For my Christmas display"!

I learned a cheap and easy way to make sandbags in the service for a rilfe support when we did long range shooting. We took old BDU pant legs and arms from shirts and tied them off at each end after filling them with sand. I'm sure if you go to a good will store you can find all the cheap sand bags your display will ever need.

I have an idea for another cheap solution.  I have a ton of plastic grocery sacks from Kroger (a grocery store chain for those aren't familiar with Kroger).  ;) 

TED

my sandbags sit on the back of the house (frame for 7' Bethlehem star which sits 10' in the air above the roof)...so I just go to lowes/homedepot and get a 50# bag of play sand.  The bag has a reinforced mesh in it.  At the end of the season I dump it in the kids sandbox.  The bags are durable....one sat out all year behind my house, carried it up on the roof and it made it a second season!  You could easily get a black pillow case and slip over it if you wanted to hide it.

my sandbags sit on the back of the house (frame for 7' Bethlehem star which sits 10' in the air above the roof)...so I just go to lowes/homedepot and get a 50# bag of play sand.  The bag has a reinforced mesh in it.  At the end of the season I dump it in the kids sandbox.  The bags are durable....one sat out all year behind my house, carried it up on the roof and it made it a second season!  You could easily get a black pillow case and slip over it if you wanted to hide it.

I like that except for the part where you have to carry a 50 pound bag!

TED

Archived