RGB Repair suggestions needed

deanathpc

Mods I think this is the place for this but please move if not.  Thanks!

O.K. so last year I used the 16 ft. RGB lights (ribbon cables are they called?) and the weather took it's toll.  I bought the "weather proof" ones but the bitter cold really destroyed that.  There are cracks in it or pieces just missing because it broke apart between the cold and wind combination.

So.  My question to you folks is how do you weather proof them again?  Do you put them in a clear PEX tube maybe?  Or can they be wrapped in a clear plastic like the stuff used by shippers when they have boxes on a pallet to be shipped? (this was my first idea actually).

This is what is holding me up this year with my display.  I ran out of time this summer to get to this stuff (my own fault).  Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Dean

There are a bunch of ways to make it water proof again really depends on if you are going for straight runs or lots of curves

I have put them in PEX pipe (white) and sealed the ends for the straight runs. The color is muted but works ok

I have spray a lacquer on some and found it works ok also but I do this be for every use or year

I have also put them in the clear tubing from the local hardware store and this worked also. The sun is taking its toal on the tubing though after two years.

The shrink wrap idea would be problematic to me seems to many areas for the moister to get in.

Good luck 

Thanks for the replies folks.  To answer you tooze21 I had then strung in some trees.  Well draped in the trees anyway.  They would have been fine but I was impatient and wanted my garage cleaned out and as careful as I was it wasn't careful enough.  I should have brought then inside to warm up first. :(

DSE thank you.  This gives me an idea actually.  Well you gave it to me really.  Our local Central Tractor carries that clear tubing.  That I should have thought of sooner.  I also have another store here that I'm sure I could get too.  What size tubing did you use?  I'm sure out local Home Depot would have it also if I looked.  Will have to check out their website after I post this.

Do,not shrink wrap, wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last the first rain storm. 

The strips are nice, but aren't for every task. I know a lot of folks that use them have them zip tied to PVC so,they aren't flexing or moving much. They then raise/lower whole PVC sections as needed.

You can buy reels of replacement rectangle tubing if you decide to go that route, they are all over ebay.

Good luck and let us know how whatever you chose worked out! Keep those strips fairly rigid!

Do,not shrink wrap, wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last the first rain storm. 

The strips are nice, but aren't for every task. I know a lot of folks that use them have them zip tied to PVC so,they aren't flexing or moving much. They then raise/lower whole PVC sections as needed.

You can buy reels of replacement rectangle tubing if you decide to go that route, they are all over ebay.

Good luck and let us know how whatever you chose worked out! Keep those strips fairly rigid!

No they are not for every task.  Finding that out the hard way.  I need to replace them with the bullet nodes but not in the budget this year. :(  So I'm stuck with these.

Checking Ebay for that tubing.  I'm assuming you are talking about aluminum tubing right?  Or you mean clear plastic?  I haven't found the plastic if that is what you are referring to.

Sorry for the late response, since Chuck never re-enabled tapatalk for the forum, I don't see it on the weekend.  I was talking something more like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10m-Silicon-Tube-5mm-8mm-10mm-12mm-15mm-4-WS2812B-5050-3528-5630-led-strip-DIY-/331524271710?var=&hash=item4d3062ee5e:m:mgWBId7TNiVeMnd7Dk00UbQ

Sorry for the late response, since Chuck never re-enabled tapatalk for the forum, I don't see it on the weekend.  I was talking something more like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10m-Silicon-Tube-5mm-8mm-10mm-12mm-15mm-4-WS2812B-5050-3528-5630-led-strip-DIY-/331524271710?var=&hash=item4d3062ee5e:m:mgWBId7TNiVeMnd7Dk00UbQ

Perfect.  That was what I was thinking about.  But it's coming from China and wouldn't be here in time. bummer.  Each 5 mm x 10 mm isn't bad price wise.

Perfect.  That was what I was thinking about.  But it's coming from China and wouldn't be here in time. bummer.  Each 5 mm x 10 mm isn't bad price wise.

Here is 10mm ones coming from CA.  I don't really recall what size come on them, but I think it is 10mm.  I have seen people recommend going with 12mm for an easier slide through though.  If you end up trying this, let me know, and I will give you some tips that someone gave me (that I haven't tried yet).  It invovles soldering on some ribbon cable you can get on ebay for more strength in pulling your strip through.

shorter roll: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1M-Silicon-Tubing-10mm-for-SMD-3528-5050-LED-Strip-Tube-Type-Waterproof-New-/141269767266?hash=item20e4559462:g:VrEAAMXQ3kNThO2W

longer roll: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10M-Silicon-Tubing-10mm-for-SMD-3528-5050-LED-Light-Strip-Tube-Type-Waterproof-/141386665511?hash=item20eb4d4e27:g:pNAAAOxyBPZThOp7

I'm not sure the heat tolerance of the ribbons but they do sell clear heat shrink, regular and adhesive lined. This may work for you in this application. I've used it in other applications and works and looks great. 

I'm not sure the heat tolerance of the ribbons but they do sell clear heat shrink, regular and adhesive lined. This may work for you in this application. I've used it in other applications and works and looks great. 

Interesting...  That might also be a good option.  Thanks!

Archived