Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
millh0use

Driveway Arch - Guy Wire Help

I am adding a single driveway arch this year and am running into problems with stabilization...even after reading numerous threads and watching videos about the arches.  I have rebar in the ground and 3 - 10' pieces of gray schedule 40 conduit.  I know most people recommend schedule 80 but I couldn't find it in store at the last minute so went with 40 to try it out.  I made arch sleeves and have 2200 lights total on the arch.  Of course the added weight of the lights is causing the arch to heavily sag.  I'm guessing I need to use guy wires to stabilize it, but just can't wrap my head around how they will work.  I do not want to permanently attach anything to my house so am hoping I can just attach the wires to the arches and stake them into the ground.  I have nylon string, but not sure that will be strong enough so went out and bought some galvanized braided wire (50ft) and some dog tie out stakes to secure it into the ground.  My questions are, how do I secure the guy wires to the pvc, what angles will I need to use to stabilize the arch, will this even work with that much weight and schedule 40 conduit?  Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Depending on what size pvc you used (preferably 1")

You can also slide either 3/4 or 1/2 into it to help stiffen it. 

• Like 1

My arches are built from 1 and 1/2 inch gray electrical conduit but you can't change that now. My arches are planted on each side of the driveway with 2 pieces of rebar but then I also drive a 6' long "T" post (like they use for wire fencing) on each end and wire the arch to the post on each end.  The center still moves a bit in the wind but it is very secure and the posts are never seen at night.  It takes a bit of pounding but I have never had trouble with my arches since I went with this.  I live in OK and we get winds to 40 MPH fairly often.  Just another idea to think on

post.jpg

• Like 1

I'm guessing you probably have too many lights on it, for 3/4" pipe i could get about 400 lights before it became a problem, In the pic the arch isn't completely done or my display as far as that goes but i went with a new design to avoid any sagging issues. but it's also hard to get the end poles secure doing it this way. Also makes easier to get in and out of the driveway. There are only 200 lights on the arched section and each end pole has 600 lights in this pic. Works great so far got some 30mph winds last week and it held up fine.

DSC_0175.JPG

• Like 1

My arches are built from 1 and 1/2 inch gray electrical conduit but you can't change that now. My arches are planted on each side of the driveway with 2 pieces of rebar but then I also drive a 6' long "T" post (like they use for wire fencing) on each end and wire the arch to the post on each end.  The center still moves a bit in the wind but it is very secure and the posts are never seen at night.  It takes a bit of pounding but I have never had trouble with my arches since I went with this.  I live in OK and we get winds to 40 MPH fairly often.  Just another idea to think on

post.thumb.jpg.3130c228aa7fdfa0d75bede862fad495.jpg
Any chance you have pictures of the T post? Or your whole set up? I am trying to put 4 of these over my driveway, but struggling a bit.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you probably have too many lights on it, for 3/4" pipe i could get about 400 lights before it became a problem, In the pic the arch isn't completely done or my display as far as that goes but i went with a new design to avoid any sagging issues. but it's also hard to get the end poles secure doing it this way. Also makes easier to get in and out of the driveway. There are only 200 lights on the arched section and each end pole has 600 lights in this pic. Works great so far got some 30mph winds last week and it held up fine.
DSC_0175.thumb.JPG.5de4024da52e75af06505a7ce95cca9b.JPG
What's you use for your end poles?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

On 9/29/2017 at 9:23 PM, dchackert said:

What's you use for your end poles?

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

I used SCH40 3" PVC

On 9/22/2017 at 8:59 AM, Big J Illinois said:

We did 3 car driveway arches. ..no guys required. In Northern Illinois,  40mph and ice , snow, wrapped in garland and lights. They sway, but NEVER a problem

What all did you use? I'm in the same place. I don't have confidence in them staying up, very paranoid about it. How do you stabilize without wire? 

Hey helper, I have a 3 car wide near the garage and 2 car near the sidewalk. I used 2" Grey electrical pvc for the span. I used 3/4" pvc as sway control at the top between sections. 

This year was my first year to add arches to my drive way.  I have 3 car wide driveway, I rarely take time to research anything(going forward I will now) so I used regular 3/4" PVC in 20' lengths, then cut 2' off of one end making each arch roughly 38' in length.  I used 2' re bar on each end then used many support places with smaller gauge rope at various angles and points throughout the house and yard.  I only attached 2 strands of LED C6 multi colored strands to each arch, I of course wanted to do more but was not sure of how well these would hold together being my first attempt at them.  I did 9 arches in total and braced them all together using "Ts" and PVC between each arch.

Edited by Grouchster
picture didnt load

Hey Grouch..we have a 3 car wide drive and used grey electrical pvc..2" at the widest part 1 1/4" for 3 and 1" at the bottom (5 arches total)..no guy wires at all...covered in garland and 1000 lighys or so, 2 inches of snow and ice...they are very stout..