Looking for old look C7 and C9's.

christmas rat

What brand of LED matches the look of the old C7 and C9s? I have an artificial tree I’m going to rearrange to make it look more old fashioned. Would like the old fashioned look with out the excess energy use of the old lights.

Thanks!

The picture below is what i'm going to achieve. The artificial tree has hinges for each branch. They can be taken apart. Going to modify each branch to help clear out the fullness. Then going to give it bark using a home made polymer clay and brown paper. The results will be a hinged tree that looks like it was cut out of the woods. Not a perfectly manicured cone. No idea what brand the tree is. Got it at a resale shop really cheap. All I have is it and the green bag it came in. 

vintage-christmas-tree.jpg

thanks for the replies.

Drkness, thanks for the store name. Been there have have figured out what I need. But still has questions on how they look.

Hotrod1965. I've watched the vid. Thanks! Question, is the warm white really that yellow in person? 

OK Just ordered one of each color of C9's. Going to see em before committing four to five 25 bulb stands worth. 

These natural trees just don't look right with minis. Nice shape to that tree as well. Haven't got started on this project yet. Still have the main tree up. The only space I have large enough for this kind of project is the living room. 

5946af0af19aadf14b65191a318a2d90.jpg

OK it looks like it's got minis and toilet paper........;)

Got the LED replacement bulbs in today! Comparing them to really old red and green wired C9's. The red and green are almost dead on. The blue actually looks better. Yellow and orange, They're good. As long as I don't have any real C9's lit they'll work fine. And the soft white looks nice as well. Can't say it's a total match to a real one. But for LED's it's the best natural white I've seen to date. And the purple is awesome! I don't have any purple C9's. But do have some C7's. I'll have to compare them later. All and all I'm very happy with them. They'll give me that total old fashioned look damaging the antique ornaments. 

Thanks everyone for the help!

Got the LED replacement bulbs in today! Comparing them to really old red and green wired C9's. The red and green are almost dead on. The blue actually looks better. Yellow and orange, They're good. As long as I don't have any real C9's lit they'll work fine. And the soft white looks nice as well. Can't say it's a total match to a real one. But for LED's it's the best natural white I've seen to date. And the purple is awesome! I don't have any purple C9's. But do have some C7's. I'll have to compare them later. All and all I'm very happy with them. They'll give me that total old fashioned look damaging the antique ornaments. 

Thanks everyone for the help!

You should post some pics of your comparison you did.

Awesome idea Scott. I'll do them one color at a time. Each test will have both the LEDs and C9 bulbs. When I can I used very old C9's and C9's I got about 20 years ago. Don't have anything newer than that. The old bulbs are coming off of green and red wired strands. 

First is the orange. Out of all of the colors the orange and yellow didn't match well. They look orange and yellow. Will look really good as orange and yellow LEDs on a strand full of LEDs. But not mixed with regular bulbs. The light output is very low compared to the incans. 

Picture one is unlit in order from left to right. Modern, LED and Very old.

Second pic is lit. I had to do a lot of work on this photo to get the LED to show it's color right on my computer. Bot the old and new C9's looked orange.

Third pic is the unaltered LED C9. It does not look yellow in person. 

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2602.JPG

IMG_2595.JPG

LED Yellow. Unfortunately I don't have any modern yellow. 

Fist picture is very old yellow, LED

Second picture is lit. Camera would not capture the bright yellow of the old bulb. It's very yellow. The LED in not as yellow. But in no way does it look green or grayish. With the LEDs it looks really good. As with all the LED lights, not as bright. the only inhansment done was with the camera itself. The yellow color of the LED looks very much like it does in person on my computer. 

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

LED Blue. Again using a modern, LED and Very old.

Picture one is unlit.

Picture two is lit. The LED actually looks better than both the modern and the old. Just not as bright. On my computer the modern looks a bit greener in person than in the picture. 

IMG_2617.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

Red LED test.

I did some temperature and tint adjustments to get the red to look right. The Red LED looks really good. A deeper red than both the modern and old C9. Again just not as bright.

Picture on is modern, LED and very old.

Pic to is lit.

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2628 - Version 2.JPG

Green LED test.

I didn't have to do any adjusting on the lit picture. This is the most accurate picture of the bunch.

First picture, Modern, LED and very old.

Second pic is lit. In the picture and in person it matches the old green closer than the new. Not as deep of a green as the modern C9's

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

And lastly white. The color that has never matched the incans. Still doesn't. However the soft white is a very good improvement over the standard LED lightning blue color. For my tree I'll go with the soft white LEDs. Unfortunately I don't have any really old white C9's. The only one I was able to compare it to was a modern. 

First picture is from left to right, modern. LeD. Because both the soft and standard LED look exactly the same unlit this picture will represent both. This picture best details the difference in these bulbs. The LED just doesn't cut it for soft white. The good news it the soft white LED C9 looks better than any mini soft white I've ever seen. 

Second picture is the modern C9 and standard LED white. Yep, it's lightning blue. I've never liked LED whites. Don't like this. 

Third picture Modern C9, soft white LED. Still does not have that soft off white glow. But looks good anyway. As with all the LEDs it's not as bright. 

IMG_2636.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

I didn't do a purple compare. Don't have any purple modern or old C9's. Do have that color in C7's and C6's. Can say the purple looks really good. Actually more intense than the older bulbs. The old bulbs are more pastel in color. Also the only color missing in the LED C9s is pink. Not a popular color but still one of the old ones. 

Final thoughts. I like the LEDs. They have a few advantages over the old C9's. First is obvious, way less energy usage and no heat. Secondly is not as bright. Think about it. These lights are going on a tree that will be in my living room. Standard C9s are intensely bright. Great for outdoors. Not so much on an indoor tree. The advantage of using replaceable C9 LEDs has a third advantage. Like the old bulbs, you wont have to worry about have a large area of one color on the tree. Swap em out and there you go. And you can use them on any C9 strand you have. I'll be dropping mine into old red and green wired strands. These have 18 inch spacing between each bulb. 

I enjoyed doing this. Really hope it helps someone else in deciding weather or not to use screw in LED C9s or C7s.

Archived