LEDs have made decorating so easy

merrymidget

As I was taking down the tree and other lighted decorations today,I really appreciated how much less hassle there is with LEDs vs the old incandescent lights- thousands of 5mm LEDs unwrapped and not a single dead or dim light,stepped on many as I unwound the strands from each branch,no broken glass bulbs to cut your feet,and a single light duty,household extension cord powered them all,daisy chained end to end for literally thousands of lights-oh and no pesky loose bulb connections taking out partial segments of a strand either!  I say good riddance to the old burning filament lights,I had forgotten what a pain in the ass they were.

The hassle from the incandescents nearly drove me out of Christmas lighting.  I had been down to one tree begrugdingly put up.  Two years ago I happened to be in walmart after Christmas and their lights were way overstocked and on sale, so I picked up a bunch of LED c7 strings, and the ease of using them (fewer extension cords, and easier to string end to end without the cords and adaptors) pretty much brought my interest back.

yeah,every year,without fail I watch my brother in law fiddle,cuss, and struggle trying to get all the incan. mini lights on his pre lit tree and garlands working- spends  hours on them even with the lightkeeper tool.Too hardheaded to just make the jump to led.

I wholeheartedly agree....however, pulling out all my Walmart strands this year I had 3 sections that had LED bulbs dead.  Tracking down the bad LED to replace them is a little more time consuming.  I built/use the tester featured in the planetchristmas magazine and it rocks!

I can't wait for the LED icicle lights to come down in price.  I have 18x 300 count strands (5,400 bulbs) on the house now and cant afford to make the jump on those yet.  So I replace about 700-1000 bulbs a year on those....that sucks!

Not to start a big debate,but the bigbox store house brand lights are sourced from the "lowest cost provider" manufacturer,built inexpensively so they can be sold inexpensively compared to other offerings.....you rarely get a high quality product when it is designed to sell for less than other similar products.Shop the after christmas sales,but purchase quality lights,even if they cost a little more than the least expensive offerings- the payback is usually longer life and less problems during the products lifetime.

I wouldn't debate it, but I wouldn't be looking for high quality lights if I hadn't come across enough cheap lights to get interested again.  I think everything has its place.  I've had the cheapies up for only 2 years.  I know some will fail, but they have been a whole world better than the incandescent were (for me anyway).

I have switched over much of my display to LED's but I still love the warm glow of incandescent lights that LED's just have not been able to duplicate.  I don't think I will ever fully retire them.

I'm actually surprised that wally world still has several cases of the GE lights left.  

I've ordered over 40k sealed LED'S this year, as well as c7s  & C9s.   I have mainly all Philips leds, some wally world, and I'm on season 3 with no issues with them. (Static display)  but there comes a point with the professional, quality lights that just cannot be matched with anything at the big box stores. This is true for the quality, overall brightness,and just the truer color throughout.  I'm sure I will appreciate them being sealed,  but as for where I live it wasn't something I required. 

Picked up just a little over 40,000  this year myself. There is going to come a time, and I think it will be very soon ,when that glow  will be a thing of the past.

Wow,40,000 incandescants ! gonna need a nuclear reactor to power all those! I just want enough old school incan. minis to light up one indoor tree in the far future as it will be unique someday.....just like those lucky enough to have saved their Evergleam aluminum trees in storage for decades and started to display them again.

Next year we are adding icicle lights and at least a 16 ft mega tree. I am going to buy the sealed lights because I wont have a way to fix a strand of lights if they decide to go out at the top of the mega tree. I can't wait to see how much better they will look than the big box store lights. I don't think I will ever be able to get away from the big box store lights because they areally so cheap but in the future I'm going to get sealed lights for major projects. 

Just buy a little each year,  especially on the preseason sale, such as the ones going on now.   Soon as you get quality ones you won't go back.  

Thats my plan. Just got to wait to see how much money uncle sam is going to give me this year.

On 1/3/2016 at 7:31 PM, merrymidget said:

yeah,every year,without fail I watch my brother in law fiddle,cuss, and struggle trying to get all the incan. mini lights on his pre lit tree and garlands working- spends  hours on them even with the lightkeeper tool.Too hardheaded to just make the jump to led.

The pre-lit trees are a scam.  I've noticed that in the last few years most of the artificial trees are pre-lit.  You have to really search through the trees to find one without lights.  The pre-lit trees cost a lot more than it would cost for a plain tree and separate light sets.  (A little more would be reasonable but they are substantially more.)  Most people will use the pre-lit trees for a year or 2 and then when the lights stop working they throw out the whole tree.  I think the manufacturers know this and exploit it by making the unlit trees hard to find.

TED

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, January 09, 2016 at 0:01 AM, TED said:

The pre-lit trees are a scam.  I've noticed that in the last few years most of the artificial trees are pre-lit.  You have to really search through the trees to find one without lights.  The pre-lit trees cost a lot more than it would cost for a plain tree and separate light sets.  (A little more would be reasonable but they are substantially more.)  Most people will use the pre-lit trees for a year or 2 and then when the lights stop working they throw out the whole tree.  I think the manufacturers know this and exploit it by making the unlit trees hard to find.

TED

I think I noticed it more so this year's then in the past this very thing. I was looking for unlit trees, you actually have to search for them now. I feel the same way about some of the wreaths and decorations of the same nature.  What bugs me even more is the better looking ones are generally  pre lit and it's always warm white. 

Archived