Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
SylvanLIGHTS

SylvanLIGHTS is back!

Well, it has been a LONG time since I stopped by PlanetChristmas ... apparently a bit too long as my account was no longer active! Wow ... who knew that time could fly as long as fast as it has?

I have made a quick trip through long-lost websites, and it appears that most of you are still very busy with your displays! Technology has proven to advance as many of you are using controllers that we were only dreaming of a short time ago! Great work, all of you!

I would like to say hello to a few special people (no particular order): Chuck Smith, Dan Bladwin, Tim Fischer, Joe Faszl, Drew Hickman, Mark Obermiller, Darryl Brown, Steve Pearson, Don McBroom, and so many more! True friends, all of you. And I look forward to getting to know you all again! There are so many new people here on the boards, and I look forward to meeting them all as well. THe sheer quantity of knowledge has multiplied exponentially! Who would have ever guessed hey Chuck?

I trust that everyone is still doing well with both their lives and their displays. My own display has been on a bit of a hiatus until I end up in my own home - which is showing a bit more promise as of late. So hopefully I will make a come-back in the near-future! Likely not this season, but I am hoping for next year.

Happy Lighting to all ...

-=Doug Lawrence

Guest Bob_Moody

Hey Doug !!

Welcome back..

Doug was the basic inspriation to my North Pole lights that a few of you have seen in person (Tx. mini's) and on our web page. While not as elaborate as his.. it was the beginning of the idea... Thanks Doug .. gald to see ya back ..

-- Bob

Guest Jeff_Womack

Welcome home Doug! Does this mean the display will be back also? The last we heard of you, you were thinking of selling it! All the old dogs would still love to see how you did you yard grid!

Jeff

I was just thinking about you the other day when I was thinking about coroplast... :P

Welcome back! You'll notice lots of new faces here, and a few old ones absent (although maybe they'll eventually make their way back too). Hope to see you back as a 'regular' once again!

I'm trying to get myself motivated since the time is drawing near... I've done very little display planning so far in 2006. I even took the summer of from PlanetChristmas mostly, but I'm back and trying to get into the spirit (if I can't get back into it here, I never will :laughing:).

-Tim

Doug,

Glad to see you back! As Jeff mentioned, last we heard from you, you were thinking of selling the display and then were never heard from again!

Hopefully all is well with you.

Thanks,

Welcome back Doug! Always wanted to say Howdy to Ya! I've enjoyed your website, display, and creative ideas for several years. I joined PC about a year ago but have been a lurker for quite some time.

Welcome back Doug!! It has been a long time that you have been away from this forum. It is great to have you back on this forum again.:)

Welcome back, Doug. You probably don't remember me much because I was a lurker back when you posted all the time. You were one of the many here that helped to inspire me, though. Glad to see you around.

OK ... so I popped in and then back out for a couple of years! I guess I'm destined to be a casual lurker! It is now September of 2008 and I'm dreaming of lights once again!

A belated thank you for all the warm welcomes! If you've got questions, e-mail me directly at doug.a.lawrence AT gmail.com

-=Doug

OK ... so I popped in and then back out for a couple of years! I guess I'm destined to be a casual lurker! It is now September of 2008 and I'm dreaming of lights once again!

A belated thank you for all the warm welcomes! If you've got questions, e-mail me directly at doug.a.lawrence AT gmail.com

-=Doug

Well, re-welcome back! Or is it welcome re-back? Whaddever :).

Stick around this time. I'd love to hear more about your current displays...

-Tim

Tim:

Unfortunately, there aren't any new displays to tell you about! But the old display is still ready to sell-off once I get a chance to inventory everything.

LAWN GRID ANYONE? ;)

Well, it has been a LONG time since I stopped by PlanetChristmas ... apparently a bit too long as my account was no longer active! Wow ... who knew that time could fly as long as fast as it has?

I have made a quick trip through long-lost websites, and it appears that most of you are still very busy with your displays! Technology has proven to advance as many of you are using controllers that we were only dreaming of a short time ago! Great work, all of you!

I would like to say hello to a few special people (no particular order): Chuck Smith, Dan Bladwin, Tim Fischer, Joe Faszl, Drew Hickman, Mark Obermiller, Darryl Brown, Steve Pearson, Don McBroom, and so many more! True friends, all of you. And I look forward to getting to know you all again! There are so many new people here on the boards, and I look forward to meeting them all as well. THe sheer quantity of knowledge has multiplied exponentially! Who would have ever guessed hey Chuck?

I trust that everyone is still doing well with both their lives and their displays. My own display has been on a bit of a hiatus until I end up in my own home - which is showing a bit more promise as of late. So hopefully I will make a come-back in the near-future! Likely not this season, but I am hoping for next year.

Happy Lighting to all ...

-=Doug Lawrence

Hey hows it going? I think I met you when we went on a back stage tour of Disney's Osbourne Christmas lights at MGM studios with Ron Lister. It had to be 2000, or 2001 as we were all still on Dasher systems back then. Remember when at the time the disney guy told us Osborne didnt want anything to animate other then mega trees? They finally gave in and put the entire display on 1500+ Animated Lighting Channels and then topped that and put the Cinderella Castle similar animation setups and covered it in Blue LED's. I heard they did the same to the Castle at Disneyland Paris. Glad to have you back around, you have some catching up to do as the technologies have really opened up!

Tim:

Unfortunately, there aren't any new displays to tell you about! But the old display is still ready to sell-off once I get a chance to inventory everything.

LAWN GRID ANYONE? ;)

So you're done decorating for good?? :(

Speaking of the lawn grid, I don't think we ever did get the step-by-step instructions you promised back in, say, 2003? ;)

-Tim

Tim:

I'm not done for good - I'll be back eventually. But I moved to a very high-cost market, and could only manage to get into an apartment-style condo. It's far too small to decorate like I'd want to so the display is still for sale. My soon-to-be wife (yes, that's right!) is well aware of my intentions and reason to get into a larger home, but until then it's not going to happen.

For those of you who knew the display well - please contact me if you are interested in any (or all) of the components. I will make a true effort to have everything inventoried in the somewhat near future.

-=Doug

Congrats on the "soon-to-be-wife"! Sorry to see you leave the hobby for awhile, but know you'll be back eventually...

Don't be a stranger!

-Tim