Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike H

LOR and Video Sequence Questions

Just for a little history about my system.  I have a full LOR system which has 19 controllers consisting of CCR's, LOR1602W's, CTB16PC's, CMB16D, CMB24D.  I currently run about 13 songs throughout the entire Christmas show.  It runs on a single standard network running off of a serial RS485 adapter.  (I did recently purchase the USB-RS485 adapter but didn't get it utilized last year).  I also purchased a PixCon16 card which I hope to move into pixels next year which is another issue (#3 below).  I understand (I think) the video mapping technique itself so I really don't need help there on that.

Any way, I'm interested in including a video in my next years show sequences so I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible to incorporate a video within existing sequences (meaning I would still have my 13 songs and then also the video synced to the lights as an additional sequence).
  2. What or how can I incorporate this video into the shows:
    1. I mean, how would I trigger the video to the projector for the sequence to play?
    2. What kind of hardware would I need to do this (other than the projector which I've been reading up on recommended projectors for this).  So how do I trigger the start of the video, what is needed to hold the video to send to projector.
    3. And if needed, how do I wire this up to make it work?
  3. Any recommendations on how to get my network signals from inside my house to outside to the shows?  The base LOR network I planned on leaving as it is (I do have one network cable running outside but really can't add any more the same way so if there are other means of doing it that would work I would appreciate hearing them.  The PixCon16 card I had planned on running on a single E1.31 network cable but I'm looking for ideas on trying to figure out how to get the signal outside.

I'm sorry there are a lot of questions here but I figured I should start out early to get my learning curve down before next year.

I appreciate any information I can get.

Have you thought about or looked into the LOR wireless linkers at all? See if those could be of any use to you. 

18 hours ago, drkness said:

Have you thought about or looked into the LOR wireless linkers at all? See if those could be of any use to you. 

I'm actually using them on my main LOR network to incorporate some of my lights on my neighbors house.  But I believe if I'm right that they can't be used on the E1.31 network, if that's correct.

You can sequence your shows to music or video (wmv) files in Sequence editor.  When you set up a video, it plays on your screen over the desktop.  To hook up I simply have a video cable from my show laptop to the projector.  The only problem is if you have a song with a music file it will show the desktop.  I simply used a cheap video editing software to lay in virtual Santa or a black screen so the desktop is never seen on the projector during the show.

The advantage to laying the video onto the song files you already have sequenced is that you don't have to resequence them...all the timings will match the music.

How long of a video cable do you run?  My computer is inside of my basement and trying to figure out how I can run a cable out long enough to a projector sitting at my driveway would be pretty far.  I wasn't sure if that was the only way to do it or not.

Mmmm. My video cable is something like 50ft or so. Works great. I use the RS232 cable to the projector to cut it on. Use a dos command and tell LOR to trigger it. Like was mentioned before, I just laid my mp3's on top of video and made them into .avi's and mp4's. I made some of my own videos and worked just fine.

Man that is great.  If you don't mine me picking your brain a little more and I really appreciate the information.  I'm currently using the RS232 dongle on my computer but I did recently purchase the USB dongle so I can move over to it to free up the serial port. 

• How are you triggering the projector with the serial RS232 cable?
  • Can you give me what DOS command you are using to trigger your projector or how it's doing it?
  • What projector model are you using just to see if that might help me in knowing what you might be using or how you are using it.  I need to shop for a projector also.
  • For the video cable, are you just using the basic 'yellow' RCA cable for the video for that length or vga or some other format from your computer (wondering where to get a long cable from)?

Thanks for all the information.

59 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Man that is great.  If you don't mine me picking your brain a little more and I really appreciate the information.  I'm currently using the RS232 dongle on my computer but I did recently purchase the USB dongle so I can move over to it to free up the serial port. 

• How are you triggering the projector with the serial RS232 cable?
  • >>>>>>>>>>>
  • >>>>>>>>>> I am using some dos commands to do this. I'm using one of the advanced LOR license so I can send a windows command. So I have a sequence that starts up before my show starts. There is a rs232 port on the back of the DELL 2400mp
  •  
  • Can you give me what DOS command you are using to trigger your projector or how it's doing it?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Including that here. Hopefully it let's me send a zip file

• What projector model are you using just to see if that might help me in knowing what you might be using or how you are using it.  I need to shop for a projector also.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>I see everyone spend hundreds on 3000 lumens projector. Why???  Paid under $90.00 on eBay. Worked great all season long.

• For the video cable, are you just using the basic 'yellow' RCA cable for the video for that length or vga or some other format from your computer (wondering where to get a long cable from)?

>>>>>>>>>>>>No man. Just a regular vga cable. I also use a dual monitor and a vga cable splitter on the 2nd monitor. That way I can see inside the house what is being projected outside as well.

59 minutes ago, Mike H said:

Thanks for all the information.

Dell-2400mp.zip

Thanks Robert.  That all helps tremendously.  Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.