Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scot Meyers

Help!! Im feeling Grinched

All

I have been doing this decorating stuff forever.  and every year I dream about new stuff I want to do to the display  and get all fired up  and then LIFE gets in the way  and my ideas get shelved for another year.

SO  how do you all get thru it when life continues to get in the way?  have any of you just felt like giving up?     Please share  because I beginning to believe I am better off doing nothing  that to keep getting excited  and then having it crushed.   Its kinda like getting excited for that one thing from santa  and then he does not deliver.

Remember, it's not about how big your display is, not about how many lights.  It's not about the most lawn displays or how many LOR channels you're running.  It's the memories you're making, whether those memories are yours, your family's, or a stranger's, just know, you ARE doing something regardless of adding adding or implementing to your display.

after 47 years I have come to the conclusion I am a dreamer...we all get to feeling this way Scot!  I have a list of 30 dreams for the decorations and I used to try to hit em all at the same time.  In the end, I only got a couple done and felt terrible.  And I had everything I bought laying around reminding me of my failure.  So this year I resolved to concentrate on one thing at a time and see it to completion....just buy what I need to finish one thing and then move on to the next.  I might not get everything on sale, but I think I will be wearing a bigger smile come Christmas!

I had to laugh when we were packing up this year.   My daughter all of six years old was thinking outloud and commented that she didn't know "who would put up the Christmas lights when I die...no one else can walk on the roof...I guess we can just do some of the yard stuff."  Like cool said above...you are making memories and miracles for a lifetime.  They never remember all your dreams that never materialized.

4 hours ago, cooliocuneo said:

Remember, it's not about how big your display is, not about how many lights.  It's not about the most lawn displays or how many LOR channels you're running.  It's the memories you're making, whether those memories are yours, your family's, or a stranger's, just know, you ARE doing something regardless of adding adding or implementing to your display.

15 minutes ago, qberg said:

after 47 years I have come to the conclusion I am a dreamer...we all get to feeling this way Scot!  I have a list of 30 dreams for the decorations and I used to try to hit em all at the same time.  In the end, I only got a couple done and felt terrible.  And I had everything I bought laying around reminding me of my failure.  So this year I resolved to concentrate on one thing at a time and see it to completion....just buy what I need to finish one thing and then move on to the next.  I might not get everything on sale, but I think I will be wearing a bigger smile come Christmas!

I had to laugh when we were packing up this year.   My daughter all of six years old was thinking outloud and commented that she didn't know "who would put up the Christmas lights when I die...no one else can walk on the roof...I guess we can just do some of the yard stuff."  Like cool said above...you are making memories and miracles for a lifetime.  They never remember all your dreams that never materialized.

I totally agree with you both. It is the MEMORIES that you make that will always be in your heart. I mean who wouldn't want a yard display that could compete with those on the Great light fight? I just like to get out there in the yard and go to decorating and putting things up and in the back of my mind I am always planning for the next year while I am decorating. I'll laugh out to myself and think just get it up this year.

Memories are what makes the heart grow fonder. You could spend a million dollars on a display and in the long run you wouldn't be happy thinking of what you could do different next time. Relax and enjoy yourself.

I know that feeling; last year we had recently moved to our new house and I was uber-stressed! So, I elected to forego my 2015 light show and regroup for 2016. However, my friends and family wouldn't have it; my friend said I would regret not doing a show. And I listened. After it was running smoothly(after working through the bugs) I was very happy,relieved even, that I listened to our fans.

On 4/11/2016 at 2:03 PM, Scot Meyers said:

All

I have been doing this decorating stuff forever.  and every year I dream about new stuff I want to do to the display  and get all fired up  and then LIFE gets in the way  and my ideas get shelved for another year.

SO  how do you all get thru it when life continues to get in the way?  have any of you just felt like giving up?     Please share  because I beginning to believe I am better off doing nothing  that to keep getting excited  and then having it crushed.   Its kinda like getting excited for that one thing from santa  and then he does not deliver.

Life  gets in everybody's way............But you still seem to manage a beautiful display ..........I've  seen your videos and if I remember correctly there are even 2 houses in the videos....Hell I have trouble getting 1 completed (LOL) Don't give up and be like me I got very frustrated last year cuz all my help had better thing to do and I just said I'm not doing it and I regretted it. Just keep on plugging along and don't get stressed over it like I did and you'll see everything has a way of working out...........Can't disappoint the people that look forward to seeing it every year!!!! 

Just don't give up. You never know what tomorrow brings.  Just think about where we are  today. It didn't happen over night. It took constant work and plenty of people saying things can't be done and im sure plenty of thoughts of wantung to give up. All it takes is one to believe, life goes on, the show must go on. Enjoy yourself

I feel the same way every year that I put up my display. I just do what I can and try to do something different each year. sometime it works out and sometimes it doesn't I am making memories for my grand kids and everyone else. That is all that matters.

On 4/15/2016 at 8:36 PM, gmac said:

Life  gets in everybody's way............But you still seem to manage a beautiful display ..........I've  seen your videos and if I remember correctly there are even 2 houses in the videos....Hell I have trouble getting 1 completed (LOL) Don't give up and be like me I got very frustrated last year cuz all my help had better thing to do and I just said I'm not doing it and I regretted it. Just keep on plugging along and don't get stressed over it like I did and you'll see everything has a way of working out...........Can't disappoint the people that look forward to seeing it every year!!!! 

You know that I am feeling liek that this year. I have to put up with the people that help me complain and complain that I am crazy that this is to  much work, I don't want to do it anymore. I agree with what everyone says that memories are the thing that can never be taken away. I even had a family that came by during Halloween and asked me if I was going to do the display again. Yes, I said and I get super excited that I can make a family happy in Christmas time. We can all agree that its back breaking work and it grueling, and their are things that we can never get done for the next year, but for me its the happiness I bring to others. hopefully Ill be able to get my static display up this weekend, and take my mute pill so I don't have to hear the complaining form the people that help me.  Let s see how this turns out. I think about my display all year long and I dread the fact that when I start it I have to here all the complaining while they do it. Let hope that I don't have to extra spike my nog to get through this.

I do it because I enjoy the hobby and the wife loves it....but the pressure is on when everyone in the neighborhood knows you as the Christmas house and asks throughout the year to make sure you are putting it all up again this year.  We bought a foreclosed rental house next door in Aug and I got a lot of worried neighbors when I spent 2 months remodeling it...they were worried this investment was going to slow me down and get in the way of Christmas lights this year.

Do I get all my "dreams for next year" accomplished every year....nope.  Does it bring me down at times....yup.  But the reality is no one knows your grand vision and they are all impressed by what you do have going on.  So sit back and enjoy it!