Jump to content
Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RobertB

Paypal questions

Recommended Posts

I know in selling stuff, PayPal is the easiest way to be paid it seems. Any thoughts on this?  Also not really willing nor wanting to tie my bank account or checking account to my PayPal account. I was told by one of their operators that a PayPal debit card could be used and any payments to me could be put on this. I assume there is a fee for this as well but not sure.

Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pay Pal is GREAT. Only charged a small fee for products sold, never for money sent or products purchased.  This way people can pay you by credit card without you having to set up a Visa/MC account.  Money gets credited to your bank account pretty quickly (next day or so after you tell them to move the money from you pay pal account to your bank account).  REALLY simple to use and if you are buying something or sending money to someone you do not have to give them your credit card number, Pay Pal handles the transaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I have used PayPal MANY times to pay people, just never received funds thru it. So it sounds like you have it tied to your bank account. That just makes me a little nervous. So you haven't ran into any problems with it tied to your account? I thought the debit card thing would be a easy way to keep it away from my bank account. Maybe not??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds like more of a hassle - you still would have the PayPal account, but would also have another credit card to keep track of. I have  been a PayPal member for well over 10 years and never had a problem.  Think of them as just another bank, and you have an account there.  The difference is they are 'virtual online bank' and you can't drive down the street to make a withdrawal.  The easiest way to get your money is to transfer it to your local 'brick and mortar' bank account. Really simple once you set it up.  I hope that helps, David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RobertB said:

While I have used PayPal MANY times to pay people, just never received funds thru it. So it sounds like you have it tied to your bank account. That just makes me a little nervous. So you haven't ran into any problems with it tied to your account? I thought the debit card thing would be a easy way to keep it away from my bank account. Maybe not??

Robert:  I have used paypal for over 10 yrs and with buying and selling absolutely no hassles and if you think you've been scammed they will even go to bat and try and help you. I was concerned like you about putting my normal checking account on line with them to transfer funds so I just started a separate account and I consider it my Paypal account I never have over $200 in that account at one time, so I have no concerns about some thing happening but all this time and no issues and when I sell something I just transfer the paypal funds to my (Paypal) checking account . I don't use their CC service I just use my own CC that way it's easier for me to keep tract of whats going on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gmac said:

Robert:  I have used paypal for over 10 yrs and with buying and selling absolutely no hassles and if you think you've been scammed they will even go to bat and try and help you. I was concerned like you about putting my normal checking account on line with them to transfer funds so I just started a separate account and I consider it my Paypal account I never have over $200 in that account at one time, so I have no concerns about some thing happening but all this time and no issues and when I sell something I just transfer the paypal funds to my (Paypal) checking account . I don't use their CC service I just use my own CC that way it's easier for me to keep tract of whats going on.

GMAC I like opening a separate checking account idea. I really don't do, or will be doing a lot of selling. (I will have some LOR controllers I'll be selling soon though)  I have done thousands of dollars in buying on PayPal. Matter of fact I am the family "PayPal" rep when my wife or daughter needs something that requires a PayPal account. My wife is the "Amazon" rep (which is much more dangerous...spending wise ;-).  I guess since my credit cards have been hacked or had to be replaced because of a company hack... maybe 5 or 6 times... I'm a little leary of the bank account attachment to PayPal.  I think a couple of others have said PayPal are very protective of their clients. I have seen that when I have purchased items.

I'll talk it over with the wife (yep... she keeps the books) and see what I can do on this end.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RobertB said:

 (yep... she keeps the books)

Thanks

You mean there's another way??? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been a paypal user for years with minimal problems. Keep in mind they are owned by ebay and they are far more loyal to the buyer than the seller, meaning if I buy your $5,000 Rolex and claim it is fake, you have an uphill battle ahead of you. I sell a lot of items on ebay ($40 plants), and anytime a buyer reports a problem paypal freezes the money until it is cleared up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KeysNole said:

I have been a paypal user for years with minimal problems. Keep in mind they are owned by ebay and they are far more loyal to the buyer than the seller, meaning if I buy your $5,000 Rolex and claim it is fake, you have an uphill battle ahead of you. I sell a lot of items on ebay ($40 plants), and anytime a buyer reports a problem paypal freezes the money until it is cleared up.

Just some FYI - PayPal and e-Bay are now separate companies.  The deal to split has been final for about a year now.  You can always Google it for more details but it was partly due to the many other internet payment systems and competition {Apple Pay & Stripe are a couple of the newbies}  Here is one informative article: http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/ebay-paypal-broke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been sending and receiving money through PayPal for MANY years and never had an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need a separate bank account to get paid. I've also used PP for over 10 years and they'll credit your regular credit card, just as well as take it out. You don't need to do anything special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ErnieHorning said:

You don't need a separate bank account to get paid. I've also used PP for over 10 years and they'll credit your regular credit card, just as well as take it out. You don't need to do anything special.

Ernie but you have to attach your bank account along with that card in order to be paid. They'll gladly take money off the card. Am I right on that???? Maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RobertB said:

Ernie but you have to attach your bank account along with that card in order to be paid. They'll gladly take money off the card. Am I right on that???? Maybe?

They will never take money from your account unless you tell them to. It is a very secure system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't need to give them your bank account number. They've been asking for it for years, claiming that its more secure. Never have and the money goes both ways without any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait..........

I just found this;

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Archive/How-do-people-pay-money-into-my-paypal-account/td-p/242036?profile.language=en-gb

Is this still true? In other words PAYPAL could actually be your bank?  Honestly, anything paid to me from my sales, will probably be used for more lights / controllers 8-)  Hope this is still true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2016 at 5:37 AM, RobertB said:

Wait..........

I just found this;

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Archive/How-do-people-pay-money-into-my-paypal-account/td-p/242036?profile.language=en-gb

Is this still true? In other words PAYPAL could actually be your bank?  Honestly, anything paid to me from my sales, will probably be used for more lights / controllers 8-)  Hope this is still true.

Yep. It's true. And as soon as money got into the account... more stuff was bought ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...