RGBA spot and flood lights

Lightsbyjeff

Hello, 

I do a lot of outdoor wedding lighting. I was looking for something to use that's cheaper than Uplighting and I don't have to worry about the elements getting to it. I have seen a lot of the RGBA spot and flood lights. Can anyone provide me with any insight on these or have any experience with them? 

Thanks, 

Jeff 

You did not indicate what sort of equipment you have, so I will assume since you mentioned Uplighting, that you may be using the pre-programmed colors. Those are nothing but DMX fixtures. DMX fixtures would allow you to program exactly your color you want, also to include if you wanted to have rotating colors, or movement along your fixture line. Are you familiar with DMX and how to connect it? 

I use a lot of RGB floods (16+) in my Christmas Display to up wash my house and various vignettes. I use an older Chauvet 200B flood to do this, and have devised a custom enclosure to keep them weather resistant. If you go to my website, there is a bunch of DMX presentations I have done throughout the years, plus a How-To on how I weatherproof my floods. I had to devise something. Living in Seattle, I contend with rain and snow at the Holidays. Trying to buy IP67/68 level DMX fixtures will cost a heck of a lot, if you choose to buy. Otherwise there is a lot of DIY methods to create your own DMX floods using the 500W worklight enclosures.

A lot depends on how much effort you want to put into all this.......

Something to add to Zman's water proofing is a way to control the lights. My sister inlaw hired out Mr. Christmas2000 here on the forum to do my niece's wedding. That was the first time I had gotten a chance to see the dmx fixtures used for uplighting. Those things have the built in dmx dip switches to set the different shading of the RGB lights. I bet that is what you had seen as well. Something to consider is some of the cheap manually adjusted controllers like these. Now some of the pricing I see though that Google has found... I have seen MUCH cheaper on some of the AlieExpress.com sites. You could probably hook up any of those floods you might buy / make to these. If you really wanted to go DIY, you might even could make some of the adjustable ones with the 3 little "Pots" you see listed there in the YouTube video. I have seen a marching band use some of the "dumb rgb strips" used in conjunction with receivers and a hub along with a "app" to control the lights from the sidelines. Talk about DIY / Fancy. Have those RGB floods connected to those, step back and ask the bride what color she wants, dial it in on your phone, you would definitely impress a "stressed out" bridal family ;-)

Archived