Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WLND-DAVID

Municipal Decorations for sale

OK, Fellow P.C. Members……  Here’s the deal.   I have had two different interested parties wanting to purchase “the whole package” of items that I have for sale so I was hesitant about selling off individual pieces.  Well, neither deal has ever been finalized so I am offering everything directly to you first.  Craigslist and e-Bay will just need to wait.  Most everything is large / commercial and will need local pick-up.  I’m in Westland, Michigan – about 15 minutes from the Canton Ikea Store - That seems to be the landmark everyone knows…  LOL

Here is the list:

3-Demintional Fiberglass Stars in 24” & 44” sizes.  These are not just for Christmas!  Just repaint them, from the gold, with a primer and they become ‘old rusty stars’ to hang on the barn, or add some small stars and stripes and they are ready to go for an Americana theme.  Even go green & white in honor of your kid who is a theater major at that Eastern school whose colors are green & white….. He is, after all, the STAR of the show!  J

Those 6 foot long curtain light bars with the strings of mini white lights.  They are incandescent bulbs.

14” x 9’ commercial green garland.  These are heavy duty ones and some do have white mini lights, but I do not know the condition of them so not selling them as lighted.  I did use the ‘light keeper’ and got a bunch of them working.

I do also have some of the same garland that has been lighted with 200 red/green super bright LED’s as well.

Beautiful 56” green/metallic green garland two sided wreaths.  Once they get fluffed back up they are outstanding.  See the pics of my house to see how I used mine for both Halloween and Christmas.

9 foot long 4” gold ball garland – 30 ornaments per string.  Bronner’s still carries them @ $150

Same 9’ garland with 8” and 4” alternating ornaments.     In honest disclosure – some ornaments do have scuff marks.  But nothing that would be noticed from 10’ away.

LED Pre-Lit Commercial Trees – Solid Color, 1ea RED, GREEN, WHITE in both 5’ and 7’ sizes.  I believe that they have 500 and 700 lights respectively.

Also same trees – unlit.

A custom made humongous glittered gold star.  It was used as a “Santa’s Mailbox” This piece stands just over 4-1/2’ tall and 24” deep.

Giant 36” flower pots of silk poinsettias – The same kind are being sold on e-bay now for $390.

Styrofoam Glitter Stars that are 12” across and 2” thick.  Colors are PURPLE / TEAL  (I did sell some they planned to paint red)  Some are a little dirty and damaged as they had not been properly stored.

54” Municipal Street Pole Wreaths.   These have the 3 candles & Red Vinyl Bow.  The bows could use replacement/refurbishment.  In addition to the candles, they are wired up with 60 c-7 lights and have clear bulbs – but I’m not gonna say every bulb is working… LOL  I’ve switched mine over to LED anyways.

10’ Rocking Horse.  Another custom piece.  I was told he cost $3200 new.  He does need a little minor repair and (I think) a fresh coat of paint for a better color theme.

I also have 4 custom display boxes that are 30” high x 48” wide x 33” deep.  They also have an ‘insert’ that creates a top tier and the opening on the top a bit smaller.  They are glittered so much they would fit right in on the set of “The Price Is Right”   Gold Glitter and White Stars on the sides, Gold on top and White for the ‘insert’ piece.  My thought for these was to be used for planters of “Stars and Rockets and Flags” shooting out of them for an “Explosive, Independence Day display”.  That way you get to use them for two different holidays.  They could even be used as a Toys-For-Tots drop box.

Now the important part – Prices are each:

(30) 24” Fiberglass Star;   $40  

(30) 42” Fiberglass Star;   $75

(20) Light Bars;  $50

(40) Garland – unlit;  $30

(24) Garland – LED lights;  $45

(3) 2 Sided Wreath;  $250

(30) 4” Gold Ball 9’ Garland;  $25

(12} & 8” Gold Ball 9’ Garland;  $30

(1 each color) Pre-lit Trees;  5’-  $225       

(1 each color) Pre-lit Trees;  7’ - $375

(4) Unlit Trees;   5’  - $100      

(1) Unlit Trees;  7’  -  $175

(1) Gold Star Mailbox;  $500

(2) Giant Poinsettia Plant;  $150

(120) 12” Styrofoam Star;  $3

(20) Municipal Street Wreath;  $100

(1) Rocking Horse;  $1500

(4) Glitter Display Box;  $350

Pictures:    I have added several pics.  Tried to show the Green Garland with both white incans and red/green LED’s.   The light bars and Poinsettia Plant are stock photos.  The giant star has an inset to show the ‘mail’ door.  The one of the Rocking Horse is the top only, the “Rocker” is in the back of Mom’s garage and I wasn’t able to pull him out for assembly. Please, feel free to ask questions

WLND-DAVID

Stars268.jpg

StarMailbox.JPG

PointPlantWeb.jpg

light_curtains.jpg

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

IMG_2570.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

HorseTop.JPG

GoldBallGarland.jpg

GlitterBoxInsert.JPG

GlitterBox.JPG

Garland197.JPG

Always loved your display. Thought it was a classic look that was just neat. Why are you selling everything off?