Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buzzandwoody27

My Canadian Blow Mold buy

If there are some there that are not worth $15 I would sure like to know which ones they are.  You have some great looking blow molds there.

I see there are two different stacking skulls do you know who made them?

Mel

3 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

If there are some there that are not worth $15 I would sure like to know which ones they are.  You have some great looking blow molds there.

I see there are two different stacking skulls do you know who made them?

Mel

The short grey one is foam and made by trendsetters. The white one is Drainage Industries and was made exclusively at their Canadian plant in Toronto. A pumpkin stack was it's partner.

Did Drainage Industries have a plant in Canada, if so, what years were they there and when did they close their doors there?  Were they connected with the Shaw family that founded Integrated Plastics in Scarborough?  I think that the Shaw family was from Agincourt, Ontario, Canada in the 1990's.  Donald Shaw designed and patented the pumpkin stack that Drainage had  in 1996 for Integrated Plastics and I have wondered if Drainage bought the Integrated molds and inventory since Drainage does not show the stacking skulls or tombstone in their catalogs.  Integrated Plastics ceased operations and filed for bankruptcy in July 2005.

Yes they were. I believe that the family owned both factories. The drainage factory was in Agincourt district as well. That factory also created a black eyed version of the squiggly ghost and a pumpkin with decal features, both of which were sold exclusively in Canada.

12 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

Did Drainage Industries have a plant in Canada, if so, what years were they there and when did they close their doors there?  Were they connected with the Shaw family that founded Integrated Plastics in Scarborough?  I think that the Shaw family was from Agincourt, Ontario, Canada in the 1990's.  Donald Shaw designed and patented the pumpkin stack that Drainage had  in 1996 for Integrated Plastics and I have wondered if Drainage bought the Integrated molds and inventory since Drainage does not show the stacking skulls or tombstone in their catalogs.  Integrated Plastics ceased operations and filed for bankruptcy in July 2005.

Thank you for the comments and history. The small skull stack is made by Trendsetters but the taller one did not have a name on it so glad that someone can help me out. I thought some of those were pretty common and therefore not worth as much (candles mainly). The previous owner still has some more in storage so hopefully when she gets to them I will have some more to add to my collection.

6 hours ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

Yes they were. I believe that the family owned both factories. The drainage factory was in Agincourt district as well. That factory also created a black eyed version of the squiggly ghost and a pumpkin with decal features, both of which were sold exclusively in Canada.

Thanks for the information, do you possibly have any pictures of the ghost and pumpkin?  I think that Donald Shaw also designed the Drainage "Jolly" pumpkin but I do not know for sure.  The patent papers do not say who the assignee was, they do say the "Inventor" was Donald Shaw and he was from Agincourt, Ontario, Canada.

Mel

7 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Thanks for the information, do you possibly have any pictures of the ghost and pumpkin?  I think that Donald Shaw also designed the Drainage "Jolly" pumpkin but I do not know for sure.  The patent papers do not say who the assignee was, they do say the "Inventor" was Donald Shaw and he was from Agincourt, Ontario, Canada.

Mel

Decal pumpkin is in the center of photo  2.

IMG_20161105_145701.jpg

IMG_20161105_150551.jpg

21 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Mel I think the Intergrated Plastics gallery on blowmolded should be expanded. I know they made a wall mounted pumpkin and skull. I believe either they or Drainage made the ghost coming out of the pumpkin as the design is very similar. 

28 minutes ago, snoopyguy said:

Mel I think the Intergrated Plastics gallery on blowmolded should be expanded. I know they made a wall mounted pumpkin and skull. I believe either they or Drainage made the ghost coming out of the pumpkin as the design is very similar. 

The ghost pumpkin is Integrated plastics. They also made a tombstone ghost and a melting face.

2 hours ago, snoopyguy said:

Agreed the Integrated plastics section needs to by expanded, the problem there is we only have three more integrated items that are not there yet, the snowman, candle and the Halloween black cat with pumpkin.  If you have any others it would be great to receive good pictures of them to upload to the website.  Anyone who has Integrated Plastics blow molds that are not on the website good pictures and any information you have on them would be appreciated and you would be given credit for them.  Send me a PM for the details.

Mel

13 minutes ago, Mel Fischer said:

Agreed the Integrated plastics section needs to by expanded, the problem there is we only have three more integrated items that are not there yet, the snowman, candle and the Halloween black cat with pumpkin.  If you have any others it would be great to receive good pictures of them to upload to the website.  Anyone who has Integrated Plastics blow molds that are not on the website good pictures and any information you have on them would be appreciated and you would be given credit for them.  Send me a PM for the details.

Mel

I will send you a PM. Do you have even poor photos of the cat and snowman. I do have some photos I could send. Could you post photos of the cat and snowman?

46 minutes ago, The Blow Mold Expert said:

I will send you a PM. Do you have even poor photos of the cat and snowman. I do have some photos I could send. Could you post photos of the cat and snowman?

The cat is in this picture.  I was mistaken about a snowman I was thinking of the Universal Electric snowman.

Mel

IMG_1940%203000.jpg

Great Haul Bud. I love the mickey and minnie blow molds. What I would like to see in better detail is the back of one of the carolers that is missing its light, how is the light attached?

Wow!  You picked up a lot of great 'molds there!  I'm curious to know about the pumpkin in the front left of the 4th picture.  I don't recognize that one.  Is it flat on the back?  It appears like it is in one of the other pictures.  Who made it?

TED

22 hours ago, TED said:

Wow!  You picked up a lot of great 'molds there!  I'm curious to know about the pumpkin in the front left of the 4th picture.  I don't recognize that one.  Is it flat on the back?  It appears like it is in one of the other pictures.  Who made it?

TED

It is flat on the back. I do not see any brand on it.

IMG_3903.JPG

On 11/15/2016 at 8:36 AM, jarnaez said:

Great Haul Bud. I love the mickey and minnie blow molds. What I would like to see in better detail is the back of one of the carolers that is missing its light, how is the light attached?

Here is a pic of the back of the caroler.

IMG_3904.JPG