Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thebug

Sng (stupid new guy)

So come year end bonus i am debating on weather or not to begin the journey down the rabbit home into dancing lights. i have decided to go with a lor system. everything i own is LED

I figgired if i had all year and worked a few hours a week i can have a few songs sequences done and ready come next year. so my questions are 

1. i have read the lor radio transmiters suck suggestions for the best one

2. how complicated of a song should i start with? is the software fairly easy or if i do a ptx or manhime song  will i wanna kill myself?

3 im thinking 1 mega tree 8 minis and i want to build a couple of arches plus my house lights  (about 5000) is this a doable thing or should i start smaller?

4 if you were starting over what things would you do differently or wish you jad known?

Welcome to the PC world...I am where u at, still static and wanting to venture over to LOR ect. I know Ramsey makes a great transmitter...I don't have one, but have read they are the best. I would start small and go big or go big or go home lolol. What you pick is upto you. Lots of trial and error. Good luck and post pics if you can Thanks J

3 hours ago, Thebug said:

So come year end bonus i am debating on weather or not to begin the journey down the rabbit home into dancing lights. i have decided to go with a lor system. everything i own is LED

I figgired if i had all year and worked a few hours a week i can have a few songs sequences done and ready come next year. so my questions are 

1. i have read the lor radio transmiters suck suggestions for the best one

2. how complicated of a song should i start with? is the software fairly easy or if i do a ptx or manhime song  will i wanna kill myself?

3 im thinking 1 mega tree 8 minis and i want to build a couple of arches plus my house lights  (about 5000) is this a doable thing or should i start smaller?

4 if you were starting over what things would you do differently or wish you jad known?

welcome, you nailed it with the transmitter comment, I am the proud owner of a $135 whole house 3.0 transmitter, and honestly its starting to look like I have got to stand on my porch and sing the music, because this little "gem" wont get the job done reaching a whopping 60ft across my yard. Next year a ramsey no doubt. The good news is I sent you a pm

1.  If I could have afforded a Ramsey I would have right off the bat.  IMO avoid the Wholehouse series.  I picked up mine on Amazon 3-4 years back and it works awesome....wouldn't change it.

https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Broadcast-Transmitter-Antenna-Fashion/dp/B00C91NAEG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1479768861&sr=8-5&keywords=radio+transmitter+fm&refinements=p_89%3ASignstek

2.  Pick one and jump in!  Watch a everyone's videos and see what you like and what effects you want to copy.  Programing isn't that bad IMO...just time consuming.  Afterwards, you will have the song stuck in your head for a year.

3. Sounds good....how many colors?  That will drive your # of channels.  Channels add up fast and that is your big expense.

4.  Vampire plugs and SPT1 wire....buy it early & J channel for quick light setup.

So for a first try at a megga tree i was thinking one color and just having it spin around it in 8 blocks 

7 hours ago, Thebug said:

So for a first try at a megga tree i was thinking one color and just having it spin around it in 8 blocks 

That is a good start!  If you are planning on expanding it in the future....build it strong enough and with a topper that can accommodate.  Will save you time and money in rebuilding it every time.

7 hours ago, Thebug said:

What is j channel?

Vinyl siding J channel....https://www.lowes.com/pd/0-625-in-x-150-in-White-J-Channel-Vinyl-Siding-Trim/3037104

All my lights are ziptied to it and it quickly snaps over the edge of your gutters.  At the end of the year I store em in the crawl space.  I can put up the entire house in less than 30 min.

9 hours ago, qberg said:

That is a good start!  If you are planning on expanding it in the future....build it strong enough and with a topper that can accommodate.  Will save you time and money in rebuilding it every time.

Vinyl siding J channel....https://www.lowes.com/pd/0-625-in-x-150-in-White-J-Channel-Vinyl-Siding-Trim/3037104

All my lights are ziptied to it and it quickly snaps over the edge of your gutters.  At the end of the year I store em in the crawl space.  I can put up the entire house in less than 30 min.

Will you post a picture of your j channel setup please 

So i already built a megga tree as part of my static display. its all 2in schedule 40 pvc with rebar anchors holding  it down 

1479853742763-2138922646.jpg

Next question i had is what do you guys do for water proofingyourplugs? especially the vampire ones they look like they might be easy to short out if it rains

I've been using Vampire Plugs for 5 years and just lay them on the ground or on the roof and we get rain, snow, ice you name it in December and haven't had an issue with shorting out I used to wrap the connections in sandwich bags and I quit doing that also cuz the excess moisture that built up inside the bag caused more problems that it was worth...........The only caveat to my saying this is I don't have them plugged into gfci outlets.......That's another story in itself 

I would stay away from sealing plugs . You will trap too much moisture and have nothing but problems. When possable just try to keep them off of the ground the best you can

Second the above.  Try to keep your connections off the ground (zip tie to a stake if you need to).  All trying to seal a plug connection will accomplish is to trap water inside. 

1 hour ago, Mwalc37699 said:

I would stay away from sealing plugs

Ditto...Trying to waterproof a plug will trap moisture and cause more problems.  I try to put the female ends down so moisture will drain out.  However, the dielectric grease helps coat the prongs and does help prevent GFCI trips...not a waterproof solution. 

BUT...in the offseason the grease can be a big mess.  I am purchasing a bunch of small baggies to put over my connections to prevent the grease from picking up dust in storage and grass/dirt during put-up and take-down.

Set part of your bonus aside and go to this year's Christmas Expo. It will be well worth the investment. Not only do you get special vendor deals but they're also classes and roundtable discussions that will answer the question you have and even the questions you didn't know to ask.

http://www.christmasexpo.com/

As fun as going to Nashville would be that would  take all of my bonus plus some. its only going to be a few hundred dollars so i thknk the lor stuff will more than kill it

I switched from static to synchronized this year.  I would say download the LOR software demo version first.  You can make your sequences on it in the demo version.  As the year passes stock up on SPT wire and vampire plugs and look for good deals on LOR controllers.  I bought mine used on Craigslist.  As for how big...it is all about channels.  The more colors or individual items you want to control the more channels you will need.  32 channels (2 controllers) is a good start.  Next year I hope to add a controller or two and add the ability to go all green, red, clear in my show.  For help with the software look up John Storms on Youtube.  His display is called Listen To Our Lights.  John has a 4 or 5 part tutorial on Youtube and it walks you through the sequencing stuff step by step.  His tutorials have been invaluable to me for my first year.  For the transmitter I got a Signstek off Amazon.  I attached a pic.  Has been working just fine for me and can't beat the $50 pricetag. Good luck to you.

FM Transmitter.jpg

So now that my Christmas display is up and running and my wife was feeling chrismasy after  Christmas in the  night time sky i broke to her my desire to do the dancing display this year.  she agreed at first then came back with a question on cost. Sooooo

Shopping list

1. 50 male zip plugs (0.65 ea)$32.5

2. 50 female zip plugs (0.65 ea)$32.5

3. 250 ft roll of wire  $50ish

4. Lor controller im trying to decide between the ctb16pc and the ctb16kd. i enjoy putting things together so i think the diy controller will be more fun and quite a bit cheaper.(also to help with wife cost shock) the pc is a 30amp and the dk is 40 amps are there any other differences? pc 184.95 a compleate kit including box and cords v kd 161.95 plus i will need a box and cords. 

Then the lor software suite s4 $43.85

Radio brodcaster $50ish

In all i am looking at about 393.80plus s&h

Am i forgetting anything?

go with the ctb16pc ,  very simple setup and you can focus your time on other aspects of your show. PS, are you forgetting anything ? I guarantee it.

Well.........If you want Christmas can come early for you I happen to have the latest Gen 3 ctb16 30 amp controller that LOR makes cuz I am shutting my display down cuz of my fantastic neighbors The is not a kit it was fully assembled by LOR and I will sell it for $125 and after Christmas I will have a Ramsey FM 30 stereo transmitter with booster and antenna you can stick in your attic dirt cheap if you interested. 

2 hours ago, Don Mcabee said:

if no one claims it I'll take it, ctb16pc 

I have 16 controllers total so if you want dozen I can help you out LOL

seriously even if you want 1 it's OK with me