Help! I'm at my wits end!

Mr. Macleod

Hello all, 

I am in the middle of rewiring an old static display we have used for years. It's about a 10 foot train with 900 lights. The old lights went out after years and years of use..so I decided to put in new c6 lights to replace them. After 2 days of removing the old strands and lights I started wiring up the engine first. We had to remove each c6 light on the strand and put in the correct color to match it with the train. It took several hours just to do the back half of the engine. I thought I was careful and made sure each light was put in properly, but after getting the last light in I plugged it in..and maybe 70 of the 210 lights came on. 

I bought an LED light tester from amazon and had it shipped overnight. Got it today..nothing. 

My question is..what is the problem? Brand new strands..brand new lights literally just moved out of the order they were in and put back in different spots. It should work..but it doesn't.  

I've had probably the worst month of my entire 39 years on this earth this month, and this is just the icing on the cake..I want to scream, I want to cry, and I really want to throw this thing across the room! Haha. But now with as many new c6's as I've bought and the original cost of the train itself..I'm in way too deep $$$ wise to give up. Please help! 

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

55 minutes ago, EWTalley said:

Some light strings have a special bulb in position #1 after the big wart in each half of the strings. Led lights are directional (they must go in only one way), try taking out the first one that is not lit and reverse it, that may help.

Unfortunately if multiple are installed backwards you aren't going to fix it with one bulb.  The base of the Led is your clue...each bulb has a long and short prong...make sure they are all facing the same way in rach run.

I have had boxes of the Walmart LEDs DOA out of the box because the first socket was wired backwards.  I pushed out the metal tabs and reinserted them correctly into the socket and now worked perfect!

I don't want to beat on it because you have so much invested already, but colors of LEDs all have differing voltages/resistances.  That is why you see differences in the LED strands.  Quality units will use a standard number and vary the resistors to make it work.  Cheaper ones like Walmart run 25 runs for white, 50 for red and green, and 33 for blue.  Makes it difficult to do custom strands unless you solder in computed resistors.

I think the best solution for folks wanting to do custom color patterns is to use a lens cover type design made for wire frames like the stuff at Christmas-leds.com.  http://www.christmas-leds.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=CC-M6

good luck!

Ok, cool.  Thanks guys..all the lights are installed in the same direction..the plastic housing base of each light has a small tab that fits through a receptor on the base..so there is only one way to install them. 

I have taken out each bulb probably 3 times each now..they have all been tested and all light up. The fuses all work too.  This is frustrating. 

5 hours ago, qberg said:

I have had boxes of the Walmart LEDs DOA out of the box because the first socket was wired backwards.  I pushed out the metal tabs and reinserted them correctly into the socket and now worked perfect!

I don't want to beat on it because you have so much invested already, but colors of LEDs all have differing voltages/resistances.  That is why you see differences in the LED strands.  Quality units will use a standard number and vary the resistors to make it work.  Cheaper ones like Walmart run 25 runs for white, 50 for red and green, and 33 for blue.  Makes it difficult to do custom strands unless you solder in computed resistors.

I think the best solution for folks wanting to do custom color patterns is to use a lens cover type design made for wire frames like the stuff at Christmas-leds.com.  http://www.christmas-leds.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=CC-M6

good luck!

Thanks for the link. That would have been so much easier. Damn. 

As for the different voltages, I didn't think of that. I really hope that is not what is going on, otherwise it's pointless to try and fix. But even if do have too much voltage on this strand (it's probably 90% red and yellow in there right now...wouldn't that blow the fuse on the strand? Both my fuses are clear, and running properly according to my testing equipment. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Macleod said:

But even if do have too much voltage on this strand (it's probably 90% red and yellow in there right now...wouldn't that blow the fuse on the strand?

You won't have more than 120 volts at the fuse no matter what you do and fuses blow because of amps or current draw...so no you won't blow a fuse.

What could happen is you create a strand of leds where you are placing too much voltage across some of the colors and causing them to fail prematurely.

Good to hear you sre having luck finding the bad ones.

I am stuck at exactly 105 lit lights, and 105 lights that won't light up. It seems some of the 105 non workers are burned out. When I take them out to inspect them, I test each bulb on the LEDKeeper..they don't light up at all which indicates they are a dead bulb. Is it possible that all 105 lights that aren't working have burned out? 

And to add add to that..I have replaced a few of the dead ones in the non working 105 stretch..but they only light up on my tester, and not on the display. 

I hope this makes sense. 

Archived