Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JeffCarter

If you're in the Syracuse, NY area it's time to go dumpster diving!

Wow - Wow - Wow   What a sad thing to see.  Let's hope most of the items are saved and continue on for many more years.  I absolutely love the large candles and I see a pic of "SMILEY" the snowman too.  He was made by General Plastics, back in-the-day.  I would love to be able to have him in my collection as he was seen throughout the streets where I grew up.     Here he is in his 1962 class picture....... 

GP_1962_17.jpg

wow so much waste. I bet the company didnt know that they wasted their money hiring a crew to clean it out. I know I would have gladly helped clean it out for a chance to save/salvage some of the stuff. I really hope someone does go dumpster diving and helps keep some of it from going to a landfill. 

What a shame, so sad they are just dumping them.  The article states the second floor is full of Christmas decor, but the floor is too unsafe to go up there.  I hope the workers can get the stuff down so folks can grab them.  I can just imagine someone fixing and lighting one of those angels.  It would be so thrilling to see it lighted!

Well got in contact and read a few articles and some people are buying and selling these on eBay and in stores and someone plans to use them for Halloween which is horrible well better than being thrown away and I don't think all of them are free some they I guess where selling the owners 

just for the sake of having one of those candles, I would dare say I would spend the amount that would have me sleeping on the couch to avoid my wife's wrath. 

OK, so I downloaded some of the pictures so I could zoom in for a better look.  The "Smiley" snowman is NOT the blow mold I thought he was.  After zooming in I realized that is not a pic up in a loft area, but that it is a full 8' tall replica, painted version, of the decoration.  In another couple of the pictures I can now tell those are the BECO ornaments that hare hanging from the ceiling.  And I also found more on the Christmas Angel - She is a Trumpet Blowing Angel from c1961.   Here is a UPI photo from Historical Images and the caption on the reverse.  I still do not know who made her, she is not in the l962 General Plastics catalog.  Does anyone have any Cooper's Catalogs from that era??  Maybe they made them and some flew into Detroit for the Christmas season.  There were several manufacturers at that time as more elaborate displays were common just about everywhere.

DetroitAngelR1961.JPG

DetroitAngelF1961.JPG

1 hour ago, babyantidormi25 said:

The guy that bought stuff wants 2000 for it , and won't help me anymore this stinks 

chances are he is in it for the dollar value, not the restoration or historical purpose that we would like to have. If you get anymore info share it with the group, $2000 is not outrageous but for that price I would want the entire salvage project and all contents lol

:omg: I can not believe this has happened. I just at a loss for words. I mean I loved all of those type of decorations when growing up and todays municipal decorations do not even compare. Such a sad waste. :(

The angels were made by Valley Decorating of Fresno, Ca.   Cooper was not a manufacturer, but rather an installation contractor, and local rep for valley

An update I have a meeting this Saturday with someone who saved some of those decorations 

and wants to help me out , never been this happy in my life 

He also told me that none of he Angels where in contact only one had the complete face , the others all had one set of the winds broke and one side of the face broke and none had the trumpet or halos , and sad to say some of the downstairs stuff is already thrown but the entire top was saved and nearly 80 percent of the bottom stuff , he said they got hundreds out and are gonna use them some how , crazy how this place was abandoned for years I guess the last time stuff was used was 1989 and the file cabinet said when they where used and where they where used, how cool , wish this stuff was taken better care off the Angels sure would still be fully intact 

23 hours ago, Ken Draus said:

The angels were made by Valley Decorating of Fresno, Ca.   Cooper was not a manufacturer, but rather an installation contractor, and local rep for valley

Thanks for the info Ken,   Any chance you have a catalog picture to share?

12 hours ago, WLND-DAVID said:

Thanks for the info Ken,   Any chance you have a catalog picture to share?

Unfortunately all of may catalogs, among many other things, are in storage still from when we did a major house renovation a few years ago.   There are still several pallets of stuff, all shrink wrapped that we still have yet to get to.  I know I have a 1967 Valley catalog though, and I think the angels are in it.

On December 3, 2016 at 9:55 AM, donna123 said:

What a shame, so sad they are just dumping them.  The article states the second floor is full of Christmas decor, but the floor is too unsafe to go up there.  I hope the workers can get the stuff down so folks can grab them.  I can just imagine someone fixing and lighting one of those angels.  It would be so thrilling to see it lighted!

Donna trust me I'll definelty help the person that has one of them light it it is all broke but still would be nice to see it lit

I randomly came across this image when searching around tonight. It's on the Crystal Valley website. They look just like the angels that were in this warehouse. Not for sure, but they look similar. Very cool installation of three angels branching out from a tree on a pole.

They also have a page dedicated to "Retro Old Time Decorations" where it states that they will rebuild old style decorations. I wonder if they would make the plastic faces again. That would be awesome if they did. The rest of the angel would be a pretty easy DIY project.

CV Angels.jpg

16 hours ago, Oldstuff said:

I randomly came across this image when searching around tonight. It's on the Crystal Valley website. They look just like the angels that were in this warehouse. Not for sure, but they look similar. Very cool installation of three angels branching out from a tree on a pole.

They also have a page dedicated to "Retro Old Time Decorations" where it states that they will rebuild old style decorations. I wonder if they would make the plastic faces again. That would be awesome if they did. The rest of the angel would be a pretty easy DIY project.

CV Angels.jpg

Those are indeed the Angels they also had the same star topper just sitting but most where broken and the Angels aren't made of a good material, they are made of the thin plastic that's flat backs are made of only 1 had both face parts