LED's messing with eyes

Gecko2012

I have a rather weird post and question for you guys lol. I was just curious if anyone else sees a crazy buzzing/flickering/oscillating motion with LEDS. I only get this weird visual effect when the LED's are moving or if i'm buzzing my lips lmao. (I beat-box when I'm bored, don't judge) This only happens with LED lights and not incandescent lights. Do LED's naturally buzz but not noticeably when looking at them perfectly still? Looking forward to your replies!

yes...The cheap LEDs from Walmart, etc are "half-wave".   The diode in each LED only allows current to flow one direction so the LEDs are turning on and off at the same frequency as your homes AC....normally about 60 Hz.  You can make an easy dongle to convert your cheap LEDs to "full wave" and stop the flicker for less than $1.  What the dongle is doing is converting the AC power to DC power.  So when you plug the dongle into the front of your LED strand it will only work with the strands plug inserted one way.  However!!!!!!  The cheap LED strands are what I call "balanced".  For example my 50 white Walmart LEDS actually consist of 2x 25 sections of LEDS and the manufacturer balances the power by having 1 section wired on the first half of the AC wave and the second section on the other half of the AC wave.  So in your 50 LED strand half are actually ON when the other half are OFF.  Now when you plug your strand of 50 into the DC dongle only the first half or last half work because of this.  To solve this find the middle of your strand where there are only 2 wires between two LEDs...cut them and resolder them reversed...now you will have the whole strand lit off of 120V DC when the pug is plugged in the correct direction.   You don't need a DC dongle for each strand though, every strand you plug into the end of the first modified strand will be converted as well.  Since the LEDs are not turning on and off constantly you will notice they burn brighter as well.  I have at least 60 DC dongles hanging on my LOR controllers so that all halfwave LED strands plugged into those channels are rectified.

All you need to build a DC dongle is a rectifier, old male and female light strand plug, hot glue and shrink tubing.  The hot glue and shrink tubing waterproof it all and I have had no issues using them outdoors.  I couldn't find the smaller 3 amp ones this spring, but I did find these rated at 5amps and they still fit inside the 1" shrink tube.  Put the Male plug on the two middle prongs labeled AC and the female plug on the + and - tabs for DC.

20161204_065023[1].jpg20161204_065131.jpg

Here is a post to the one I learned it from.

I will caveat though, I just purchased all new full wave LED icicle lights from HotRod1965!  I just can't afford all my trees and and house colors with sealed rectified LEDs yet.  But the sealed LED icicles are worth every penny.

WOOOAH! Thank you everyone for the information. Exactly why I love this forum. 

15 hours ago, qberg said:

All you need to build a DC dongle is a rectifier, old male and female light strand plug, hot glue and shrink tubing.  The hot glue and shrink tubing waterproof it all and I have had no issues using them outdoors.  I couldn't find the smaller 3 amp ones this spring, but I did find these rated at 5amps and they still fit inside the 1" shrink tube.  Put the Male plug on the two middle prongs labeled AC and the female plug on the + and - tabs for DC.

Also, I will definitely have too look into trying this for sure. I would love to buy the higher quality light strands, but the amount I would need in all different colors, would break my bank lol. This looks like a great alternative. 

Thanks again everyone!!

WOOOAH! Thank you everyone for the information. Exactly why I love this forum. 

15 hours ago, qberg said:

Also, I will definitely have too look into trying this for sure. I would love to buy the higher quality light strands, but the amount I would need in all different colors, would break my bank lol. This looks like a great alternative. 

Thanks again everyone!!

22 hours ago, hotrod1965 said:

correct. you are looking at half wave lights, so they are actually flickering. 

I think i have a good marking campaign for our lights now "our lights are beat box friendly"

Haha, besides from being high-quality lights, Id probably buy a box just because it would make me laugh.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hawgfan said:

I guess Cadillac uses cheap lights because every new one I see the tail lights seem to flicker, lol

Different reason for the Cadillac tail lights flickering.All cars use DC current so LEDs should not flicker at all- the only reason they DO flicker is because the car manufacturer uses PWM {pulse width modulation} as a means of controlling the LED brightness,so the same led can be used as a tail lamp {dimmer operating} and a brake light {much brighter operating} Had they used separate leds of the appropriate brightness for each function,there would be no need for PWM to control brightness,and no flicker.

Archived