Feeling discouraged

drkness

Feeling a little upset over buying the sealed LEDS from one of our vendors. First time ever using them, and got them because they are so much brighter and well the obvious is last longer and better.  But ive already had 2 strands where half have failed. Literally bought like 40k lights ( not all in use due to lack of time to build and set up) this isn't very settling considering the price of them and the fact that i was going to order 6 more cases that im second guessing.   Anyone else have this issue? I mean i get it if they are multiple seasons old, but these are brand new and halfway through one season.  :/ 

Yes...I had the same thing happen to me a few years back with my first sealed LEDs.  I pulled them out the second year and I lost nearly 50%...with that much it had to of been a bad batch.  I contacted the vendor and he sent me all replacements at no costs....can't beat that warrantee!  Since then, year 3 now and not a single failure with them. 

I bought the sealed LEDs for everything on my roof that are hard to get to and inside my fabric covered wireframes.  Contact the vendor....I am sure he will replace em.  I just splurged on a lot of sealed icicles for next year.

Don't fret too much, you've had 2 strands fail out of (some percentage of) 40k lights. If you bought from a reputable vendor, contact them and they will likely send you new strings, no questions asked. 

In the meantime, pick up an LEDKeeper tool and you can likely repair the old strings.

btw...you don't have a squirrel problem or anything that might be attacking the lights do you?  I have never had an issue until last year....my first year with RGBs and the little monsters ate through my RGB strands in a couple places.

Electronics are going to have failures...RGBs are the same.  On year 2 of my mega tree I have about 10 out of 2000 that died this year.  ironically, they all failed the same....lost the blue led.  So I am chalking that up to a batch issue as well.

I bought that many lights but i was only able to use right at 12k of them, sadly. Hopefully next year i can really put a show on  using pretty much everything i have!!

i had a strand fail as soon as i wrapped a tree( tested them as soon as i completed the tree all in one day) the only good thing about that, is it was the very last strand i put on.

2 hours ago, drkness said:

I bought that many lights but i was only able to use right at 12k of them, sadly. Hopefully next year i can really put a show on  using pretty much everything i have!!

i had a strand fail as soon as i wrapped a tree( tested them as soon as i completed the tree all in one day) the only good thing about that, is it was the very last strand i put on.

This is why I have my lights plugged in as I am wrapping the tree. And when I take them off, I "ball" them like a ball of yarn with the male plug on the outside. Next year I can plug them in as I unroll the ball and wrap the tree. Sorry, a little off topic.

The sealed commercial LEDs take a lot of abuse. If they fail it's usually due to a diode issue (easily fixable) or a bad rectifier) pretty much means your string becomes spare diodes).

Again, the LEDKeeper is your friend.

Also like all electronics, they will tend to fail either right away or as they get pretty old. 

Archived