Cutting led strings

vette-kid

Help me understand this. I purchased some plastic marquee signs with junk battery operated lights. The signs look nice enough, but the lights were horrible. So I bought some color changing led that I thought would fit, cut them to use just the first 12 lights. Looks great.

Now the left overs. I tried to hook them up to a spare plug I had and they came on briefly, popped and went out. Did I kill the lights individually? Something else I need to look for? Any way to use these lights for something else? The lights I put in the sign work great, and I'm not really upset over losing the rest but if I can use them I'd like to do another sign. They have 3 wires coming from the plug. Thanks.

fa2f17a934113909d613db9eae74a3ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Everything I have read tells me what I did should not work and that I will burn up the bulbs. Had it plugged in for about 6 hours today with no issues. I've ordered a few more sets of these and see if I can't repeat the results or even if maybe I can add the extra lights to another string.

Not enough info to help. Remember we aren't there. You must paint a more detailed picture.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I guess I'll try to get a better picture of the lights themselves when I get back. 50 light string of color change led. Cut the first 12 off, they work great. Remaining 38 don't seem to work. They did light for a second and then went out. I'm not sure how to check to see if those lights are fried or something else I'm missing. It's bit a major loss either way, I'm just trying to figure out how this works. Not as simple as they would seem.

Here is what the light string looks like. 3 wore from the plug, two into midst lights. A few have 3 and some have 4, seems to be toward the beginning and the end of the strings that have more than 2. I was able to graft the remains of one onto the other for a strong of 80 and created two short strings (one of 13 and one of 16). I think I ruined the back halls of one string, but as long as I am using the original plug they seem happy with any number of lights.

2d79ad64ea3cee0ef94f059a99f050ea.jpg
f20248dd0d5b9d5b72f2d7f19b79cc4f.jpg
3a9dfd5f6fb1a45db7a008009646ebf6.jpg
52dc12a20572dc2eab622687741b0953.jpg

I know the black heat shrink looks terrible, it's what I had.
d52e5e900cbebda8c5684b3e7e1a5f72.jpg

There is not any markings on the plug or any indications anywhere. Any idea what type of plug I would need to use to get a few more working? I have a few more that I think are good, but don't know what type of plug or adaptor I might need to get them working. At this point its just experimenting to try and learn something.

Archived