Put up some lights today

For my Christmas show this year I bought a 1000' spool of C9 sockets spaced 12" and planned on doing 3 different colors which required stringing up 3 sets at a time. With all 3 wires being run I will use a total of 750 feet and 750 bulbs (250 of Red, Green, and White).

I thought since most of the work was putting up the wire, it would be cool if I did all orange C9s for Halloween. So I bought 750 Orange C9 bulbs and started today. I got half the house finished and even though I knew the spacing between each bulb was 4" I was pretty surprised on how close they are to each other.

After Halloween I will be removing all the Orange bulbs and replacing them with Red, Green, and White. Each color on it's own channel.

house-work-01.jpg

house-work-02.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow that is tight looking. Probably mostly because its all one color. I plan to use four colors this year so I will have a spacing of 3" man I cant wait to see what thats going to look like after seeing yours. Just to make sure, you know you need to split each one of those colors so your using 2 chanels to control them, so 6 total? With mine I plan to have 1 color on each side of a 16 channel board so that I am not pushing either side to much but both the same.

I will have 6 total channels. 2 channels for each color since all of one color will pull about 13 amps. After I was done with half the house, I hooked it up to a LOR box and did some chase patterns and it looks pretty cool.

One of the neihbors pulled up and asked me if I knew what month it was. :)

I will post some video with the case effects when I get the other half of the house done.

Scott Loftus wrote:

Wow-standing on a ladder which is set on a hil, 24-26 feet in the air. I canfeel my knees shaking now. :shock::laughing:

It is kind of scary setting it up on the hill. I had to put some support under one leg to stablize the ladder.

I dont know Brad, I do that on my home now and its a single story, I think I would rather be on a ladder on anything more then one story. That way if you do loose the ladder you can at least do the Clark thing and grab the gutter so you can at least hang for a little while.

if OSHA ever got involved with home chrismas decorating, alot of us would be out in the cold.

Unstable ladders

climbing on snowy/icey roofs with no support harness

working with high voltage in outdoor wet conditions

Stringing up a 25' tree with only 2 guide wires.

putting high voltage electrical boards in a plastic tupperware container.

tons of extension cords

mmmm... just thinking of the insurance premiums gives me the chills.

We should get hazzard pay for putting up our displays.. :laughing:

Brad Caudill wrote:

I hope he didn't put the ladder up upside down. I for one would never get on a ladder that high up. I rather sit on the roof and scoot my way around.

Looking at the picture I think I would prefer to get up on the roof, lay on my stomach and hang over the edge to take care of the bulbs. There is no way you would get me on a ladder precariously sitting like that in the yard<----------------------------big chicken

Looks great though, and I think its funny what the neighbor said to you:)

My roof is pretty steep (you can tell by the first picture). I had to get on it to do some of the lights and it is very easy to start sliding and once you start, it is hard to stop. There is no way I could hang over and put the lights on.

My backpack was full of Orange C9 bulbs. Once when I was on the roof I had to lean over and about 10 bulbs came out of my pack and went flying off the roof and I could hear tiny explosions with the bulbs hitting the driveway.

RichardH wrote:

........and I could hear tiny explosions with the bulbs hitting the driveway.

:shock::shock:WHAT, you just created one of the most ultimate sins. You broke Christmas lights. :shock::shock:

Start praying for forgivness, hopefully he will let this one slide.

JR V wrote

:shock::shock:WHAT, you just created one of the most ultimate sins. You broke Christmas lights. :shock::shock:

Start praying for forgivness, hopefully he will let this one slide.

Don't worry, these were Halloween lights. I am always more careful with Christmas Lights. :)

OK, OK, everyone beat to death the ladder, roof and breaking of lights. Been there done that, although you got my vote with being that high up on a ladder.

Dumb question, it looks like you are sliding your lights into a channel. Is that the case? Where can you get that.

Zman

zman wrote:

OK, OK, everyone beat to death the ladder, roof and breaking of lights. Been there done that, although you got my vote with being that high up on a ladder.

Dumb question, it looks like you are sliding your lights into a channel. Is that the case? Where can you get that.

Zman

I am not sure what you mean by sliding them into a channel.

I am just putting them under the eves with the buit in clip on the C9 lights.

Wow, I feel like such a wimp now. I get scared climbing up on my roof and I have a single story ranch!

Richard, if you don't mind me asking, when your up there, do you feel stable? Or is it a grin an bear it situation? Is this something you've always been comfortable with, or did you learn to overcome the fear?

Anyway, I love the "pure" spacing of your lights. I can't wait to see it all lit up.

J.

zman wrote:

Dumb question, it looks like you are sliding your lights into a channel.

It's hard to see from the picture, but the lines that you see underneath the eves is actually a raised area. This creates a small hole just under the sofet, which the clip fits into. Just another perk you get with siding.

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

... if you don't mind me asking, when your up there, do you feel stable?

It's not so bad if you don't look down and remember not to step on the ground from there.:?