Put up some lights today

I have always liked getting on to the roof when putting up christmas lights. I remember in middle school, I couldn't wait until my dad started putting up lights. It meant that i would be able to get on the roof to "help." To this day, it is still one of the most fun parts of Christmas light installation.

Just in case you are wondering, I am a 2nd generation Christmas light engineer. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think all that orange is going to look great for Halloween. It will give a nice glow to the neighborhood. Hope you post a picture to showus.

Also looking at the house, wondering where you are going to put your star and if it is going up high, I sure hope you will have help getting it up. I really don't think that itis going to fit in the backpack.Please if you can, post a picture when the star goesup.

I must say that I have always felt very stable on the ladder myself but I do think twice. After one of our veteran members went down last year, and the multiple cases I take care of, it really brings it home how serious those falls can be.

Ironically, 2 years ago, on a chilly November evening, my trauma patient was the guy from one of the bigger displays in town. He broke his pelvis in several spots and ribs etc..... we have a good chuckle about it now that he is all healed.

Be CAREFUL out there. :waycool:

wow, you are up there. How long or a ladder is that. I have the same fold out lader you have but this year I need to get me a telescopic ladder to get to some of the high places on my house. Whay type of clip system are you using to put up the stringers?

good luck.

Alex

ADVISORY NOTICE FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SAFETY:

The DHS advises homeowners that, in using orange three-channel chaser lights, their houses may be confused with nearby airport landing lights.

The DHS advises that changing the C7 bulbs to a sequence of red, green. and white won't work because Santa Clause is color-blind and will try to navigate said sleigh between the 4" bulb spacings.

The DHS advises all ladder-climbers to wait until after Christmas to substitute the lumps of high-sulfer coal for the rocks under their unstable ladders.

More official DHS notifications to follow

RichardH wrote:

Scott Loftus wrote:

It is kind of scary setting it up on the hill. I had to put some support under one leg to stablize the ladder.

This may just be for Werner Ladders but worth a look so you don't have any real problems.

http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/details.php?series_id=257

How high is that ladder anyway?

Greg

I just use a 3' 2 by 4 and a couple of large C-Clamps. A 2 by 4 perfectly fits in the slot on the side of most extension ladder legs.

I used help my dad install a window air conditioner in a second floor window while standing on and extension ladder. It just happened to be in the middle of a backyard hill. We did it this way for about 15 years.

I tried to find a picture on the Internet, but couldn't. Maybe we were the only ones to figure this out.

LisaJ wrote:

Looking at the picture I think I would prefer to get up on the roof, lay on my stomach and hang over the edge to take care of the bulbs. There is no way you would get me on a ladder precariously sitting like that in the yard

Laying on the edge of the roof and hanging over would be about 1000 times more dangerous! :shock: :shock: :shock:

TED

rossg10 wrote:

This may just be for Werner Ladders but worth a look so you don't have any real problems.

There's also a stabilizer bar you can get that goes up near the top to give the ladder more "bite" on the surface that it's leaning against.

TED

i always like getting up on the roof to put the christmas lights especially at night after all the other lights are up and on because you get to see your display in a whole different view that only you get to see, plus i have harnest that i put to me and the chimney which is brick so i don't fall off but then again i do have a rancher so i could just jump off with a mattress at the bottom :laughing:

i know i'm a small timer.. not worth even mentioning most times... but i hope to get some orange and (really nice color of purple too) purple lights up this halloween.

i have a inflatable that's in a coma he won't stay inflated and yet i can't (so far) find the leak! wah!

i had to take down a years worth of work in 2 days this past weekend due to "painting over rust" is what i call it. the complex is tending to it's need to hide flaws and look like they're keeping the place maintained.

(i have a 12' x 9' balcony)

i was going to have a 6 layer, 13,000 lights computerized show. after taking nearly 36 hours to take it all down for this paint job that won't last.. i just don't have the nerve for it now. so it's back to simple basics. (10,000 lights? nah maybe 5,000) the halloween display with be bars (2ft per) of orange and purple (compterized of course they'll look like piano keys bouncing back and forth blinking) then the same for xmas i hope. (of green and red lights - bars again not sure how wide) it might look like a game show or a candy cane blinking around in circles.

i just feel tired and a bit fed up now after all my work having to be brought down. i had a layer of pink and blue, pink and purple, blue and purple, green and purple, white and white and amber... white and red. WAH! it was going to be awsome. so no fear of blowing fuses this year and getting yelled at by management. :D

i just hope the paint dries shortly and i can get started before the chill drops by mocking my every breath.

i know some are laughing going "oh you poor dear... 13,000 lights ah that's nothing" but it was sure going to be one hot balcony! last year i had 8,000 lights and i didn't need to wear a jacket when it was snowing and a blowing it got so warm on my balcony. :D

well that's all i wanted to say, i thought i had pictures, i have video, but i can't find the pics so i can't imply any images here for show! oh well.. sniffles.. it still was heartbreaking, i'll live.

no more blinking fridge light when my shows are happening. (oh the manager loved that idea also, i had so many lights going on and off the fridge was going dim and bright!) he he.

voodooxmas wrote:

i know some are laughing going "oh you poor dear... 13,000 lights ah that's nothing" but it was sure going to be one hot balcony! last year i had 8,000 lights and i didn't need to wear a jacket when it was snowing and a blowing it got so warm on my balcony. :D

Actually, I think no matter how many lights you put up, when you have to even take one or two strings down because they aren't working or for some other reason it can be frustrating. So to have to take all your work down, that must have really been a pain.

It sounded like you had a cool show going and that darn paint job ruined it for you. Such ashame.

I can imagine you are feeling tired and a bit fed up...howdisheartening this is, and still you haven't given up. Alot of people would have just tossed in the towel for this year.

There is still time to get something up and going, and that is what it sounds like you plan on doing. Maybe keep the Halloweenpart as simple as possible and concentrate more on the Christmas Side of the decorating because there is more time for that, so that you can hopefully get a little bit more donetoward what you originally had planned.

i was proud of my work last year (but it wasn't organized like it will be this year (cross fingers, cross eyes, cross legs...) i will go very anal this year) and i ended up in the washington post.

he he, but they had no video camera.. (when you look at the pics you're like.. duh ok ok..um it's a buncha lights and palm trees all aligned.. so?) but with video you'da seen it was disco time! very happy with the work. drove me nuts when i had to disconnect lines to move things then put them all back together into the junction boxes and light controllers then suddenly oh oh i made a mistake wait no this line goes here no wait! here? oh NO i lost my place ACK!

so on and so on.. so my lights were mediocre in the newspaper ok yep another whacko who knows how to plug lights into a socket.

this year i'll have bars of light... vertical panels of 1.5 ft? or a bit less and red/gree/red/green/red/... you get the point of redundancy here. and they'll all be separate/individuals of one another and blink to the tunes of well disco in general... beetoven, classical gas, bohemian rapsody... dvorak? ok i can't spell i'm lazy! so on.

i am limited... i can't do snow machines or giant inflatables... it's an apartment.

but the patterns will be way more anal. i wish there were stills of the easter display... it was a 3ft bar pattern blue/pink/blue and then under it wasthe reverse of pink/blue/pink it was beautiful. i had faders that did wonders for the reversal pattern of colors.

it was a crowd pleaser.

i got a kick out of the 4 xmas trees i got and set them to music also. popping along with one another corresponding to the music.. first they're red, green then all white.. then two are white the other two are red.. then reverse then one is red the other is white, repeat.. then they all blink in all the colors in a blaze in the loud euphoric ending of a song.. so on.

now it's all in a box piled up ready to be tangled in a damaging fury.. made me mad i was going to take them down come february but no no i got that phone call OMG OMG you better take those lights down.. there i was sipping wine, nearly ready to sleep and got the unplanned command to rip it all down in a blink of an eye.

least the trees were just movable. :D

yup, if this don't build stamina, i don't know what will.

i was thinking the whole time taking them down (and thought of the same things when i was putting them up in the HEAT, COLD, RAIN.... WIND) " it must be intense for those who put up millions or even half that for their houses each year.. how their family feels about it, their spouses.. if one light goes out or half a line... must be murder!)

so i can't complain TOO hard.

:D

yet.

lmfao!

thanks for listening.

by the way... how many lights do you average??????

voodooxmas wrote:

i see you're in baltimore... native???

i was from westminster, md. myself now in northern VA.... ah maryland was special.

how is life in BA?

Yep native, born, raised and live about 2 miles from where I grew up. Life in BA isnot as good as it used to be even 5 years ago, though the Mayor doesn't see it that way, oh but that is partly because he is running for Gov. We are just trying to hold out living herefor another half dozen years or sountil hubby retires.

My cousins live in Westminster and my sister is right there in NewWindsor.I don't know how long agoyou moved away but that place has really built up in the past 5 years or so.It is still a beautiful area but has lost a lot of that country look around the mainsection. Cranbury Mall is still the mall up there but lots of stores and restaurants surround it. It is getting to look like every other American City, you know Olive Garden, Gap, Home Depot. Traffic is a mess because everything still comes into that main street area.

I really can't tell you how many lights I put out. I don't count them, well I try to but I get to 1000 and then just seem to stop.Get busy worrying about other things like, how many strings do I have plugged together, trying to keep it to the rule of 3. SoI just put them up until my back givesout and lately that has beensooner each year. Last year, I had a bunch of lights that had seen way too many years, so I got rid of them instead of fooling with them.However after Christmas I did hit some sales to restock.I didn't even bother with the back yard at all last year.Instead of making a tree out of the pole out back, I just called it my Festivus pole. I know I had fewer lightslast year than the year before. I think I am going to start the back yard before Halloween is over this year. I hope to have more lights than last year...don't know if I can ever go back to putting up as many as before, just because my back doesn't work as well anymore. So I just will go until I can't do anymore...what I have up by Thanksgiving weekend is it.

i know how that is a small country town going to a big city like hagerstown not far from you guys up in the mountains it seems to be going the same way i can remember when all we had was the mall now it seems hagerstown is turning into frederick and personally i can't stand it, it means there could be a bigger display than mine in town in the future years but i doubt it it seems most people don't decorate like the natives do

Traveldude189 wrote:

i know how that is a small country town going to a big city like hagerstown not far from you guys up in the mountains it seems to be going the same way i can remember when all we had was the mall now it seems hagerstown is turning into frederick
Now I can show my age, I remember when Frederick was considered the same as Hanover, Westminster and Hagerstown...allcountry...but remember I was raised in "the city" and at one time a lot ofthat wasmostly farm area.
and personally i can't stand it, it means there could be a bigger display than mine in town in the future years but i doubt it it seems most people don't decorate like the natives do
ROTFLOL you say this like it is a bad thing. Most people don't decorate like the natives do...I have to agree...if you ask anative from Baltimore, Hagerstown,Hampden, Glen Burnie and areas like that around here,if they have ever seen an ugly Christmas Display...they will say no...to us it is all good...tacky has no meaning to us as far as Christmas Displays go.After all, not many places you willgo and see people using crab shells as tree ornaments, or will they display a hub cap tree on TV like it is the next best thing to sliced bread.Of course, there are the areas where theyhave the few strands of white lights and thewreath on the door and it is pretty however,if you noticed, the house with all the color and all the lights are the ones that they do show on the news and those are the ones where the crowds are.

Looking good. I used to like to get on ladders and the roof when I was a kid. Until 1 day while helping my monkey like father side our house the wooden 40 ft ladder cracked with me on it.:shock: to this day I use the "I'm too fat" and over the weight limit of the ladder as an exuse to not get up on one. Don't mind the roof as I can climb out a window to get on it. My dad has had pretty bad heart issues in the past few years or I would probobly of talked him into putting up some icicle ights on the house for me. He would probobly still try. Our house sits on a hill as does yours and I hate getting on a 15 ft ladder to decorate my porch. Good job and I bow to your dedication. can't wate to see the finished pix.