Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Franchise_24

Curb Find

My neighbor had a bunch of stuff at the curb marked free.  This was one of them.  It says Union on the bottom, anyone know anything about it?  I feel like the base is not supposed to be brown like someone repainted it.  It has 1 small nightlight bulb at the very bottom, no way it lights the whole thing up, I will have to add more.  Any info is appreciated on it.

594abeb83c20e_2017-06-2114_39_00.thumb.jpg.c17c2da6aa61ff62b7fdae31d10ed423.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the info on the brown base, now I will not repaint it.  I don't see how it would light up worth a darn though since there is one nightlight bulb at the very bottom.  Anyone have any ideas how to add more lights without butchering the mold?

3 hours ago, Light in the Dark said:

Run the wire up through the candle from the base to the yellow flame. I have the bulb clipped in to the yellow flame using the standard blow mold light clip.

Union Products Victorian Candle.JPG

774789.jpg

That looks great, thank you for the advice.  Does the yellow flame come out of the candle?  It seems to move around on mine, but I didn't want to start pulling on anything yet.  :-)

Edited by Franchise_24

That is the 38" Union Products #28850 "Large Mediterranean Candle", it was made in 1970 & 1971.  Prior to 1970 it did not have the yellow flame, it had a light bulb for the flame, in 1972 the candle had a halo around the yellow flame.  Your lighting setup appears to be original, only the flame lights up.  Union Products made a Victorian version of the candle with red candle and white base, a Victorian version with a blue candle and white base and a Halloween version also.

I see that I have not taken pictures of our large Mediterranean and Halloween candles yet, I need to do that.

You can see the two Victorian versions of the candle here http://blow-molded.com/Union___Candles.html

UnionProductsCatalog2004025s.jpg

Mel

Thanks Mel, I was hoping you would chime in :-)   Would you want a picture of mine to add to your website since you don't have it?

Edited by Franchise_24

Thanks for the offer of the picture for the website, the website is not mine it is Kevin Provost's site.  I have not heard from Kev for several months now so I don't know if he will be doing any updating this year, the last update was before Christmas. You can try sending the picture to him at [email protected]

Mel

On 6/21/2017 at 1:45 PM, Franchise_24 said:

My neighbor had a bunch of stuff at the curb marked free.  This was one of them.  It says Union on the bottom, anyone know anything about it?  I feel like the base is not supposed to be brown like someone repainted it.  It has 1 small nightlight bulb at the very bottom, no way it lights the whole thing up, I will have to add more.  Any info is appreciated on it.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:29 AM, Franchise_24 said:

Thanks for the info on the brown base, now I will not repaint it.  I don't see how it would light up worth a darn though since there is one nightlight bulb at the very bottom.  Anyone have any ideas how to add more lights without butchering the mold?

I sure enjoy posts about finding free 'molds or saving 'molds that have been thrown out.  As several people have said the light is supposed to clip into the flame.  What has happened is that the light popped out and fell down to the bottom of the candle.  What you need to do is take off the flame, set it aside, turn the candle upside down, and then fish the socket/bulb out through the hole in the top.  Clip the light back into the flame and see if fits securely.  If it does not you may need to bend the clips back into shape a bit.  If you are satisfied with the fit then reinstall the flame.

You could add a socket and bulb to the cord in the upper half and just let it hang free inside the candle.  (The brown part is not going to light up much so there's really no need to add a bulb in the lower half.)  The additional socket and bulb would add a little weight to the cord though which might make it more likely for the top bulb to pull loose from the flame.  I would just get it put back together and try it out.  You may find that you are satisfied with it the way it is.

TED

Edited by TED
to fix the flame!

Awesome, thanks for that info, I will make some time here and check it out.  Does the flame just pop off?  I didn't see any screws around it or anything...

On 6/22/2017 at 10:00 AM, donna123 said:

Nice find for sure and a great idea to use a bulb in the flame!

That's the way it is supposed to be.  I believe all Union candles are like that (except those that use an actual light bulb that Mel mentioned).  The bulb socket probably just got knocked loose in your candle.  Just pop off the flame, turn the candle upside down and pull the socket out the top of the candle.  They you can just clip it back into the flame.

TED

On September 20, 2017 at 4:11 AM, TED said:

That's the way it is supposed to be.  I believe all Union candles are like that (except those that use an actual light bulb that Mel mentioned).  The bulb socket probably just got knocked loose in your candle.  Just pop off the flame, turn the candle upside down and pull the socket out the top of the candle.  They you can just clip it back into the flame.

TED

Thanks Ted,  I didn't know that.  With all my blow molds I don't have any candles.

On 9/21/2017 at 7:38 PM, donna123 said:

Thanks Ted,  I didn't know that.  With all my blow molds I don't have any candles.

You're welcome!  Candles are like toy soldiers and pumpkins--you can never have too many!  :D  I think TPI candles are also made where the bulb clips into the flame.  On most of the other brands the socket is attached to the base (stem?) and the flame covers it.

TED