Coroplast Kringle sign

The sign is 60"x26". It uses 900 lights. Lesson learned - plan the placement of the lights carefully (especially for the animated sections.) I had to cover 86 lights with blackout caps, because I forgot to account for the other 7 lights (x 2).

Bryce, my factory is in trouble. I'm still working on the design!! I think I'm going to have individual elves building toys instead of the big factory like you have. I love the WOW of your display, but I'm hoping that a smaller/simpler design will actually get completed. (Wasn't I working on the design at PLUS2005?!!)

Margie

Jeremy-

The paint on the coro doesn't show up at night. I painted the coro so the design could be seen in the daytime. It reminds me of the Bill H. method of painting wireframes for a nice daytime display. (Ok, his method saves the step of swap bulbs and I'm actually adding a step. :?)

Margie

Just like with most good painting jobs, my only "painting trick" is careful preparation. I drilled the holes that outlined each of the letters. Then I placed painter's tape around each of the letters. (I used a lot of tape and had the entire top surfaces of the coro covered except areas that would be painted.) Then I covered the letters that I wasn't painting (ones that would be a different color) with plastic and sealed the edges with painters tape. After a color dried, I covered those letters with plastic and sealed the edges. I repeated this for each color. When all colors were dry, I carefully removed all the painter's tape. Other notes: My coro was sitting flat on the ground. I sprayed lightly back and forth.

Hope this helps,

Margie

margie wrote:

Just like with most good painting jobs, my only "painting trick" is careful preparation. I drilled the holes that outlined each of the letters. Then I placed painter's tape around each of the letters. (I used a lot of tape and had the entire top surfaces of the coro covered except areas that would be painted.) Then I covered the letters that I wasn't painting (ones that would be a different color) with plastic and sealed the edges with painters tape. After a color dried, I covered those letters with plastic and sealed the edges. I repeated this for each color. When all colors were dry, I carefully removed all the painter's tape. Other notes: My coro was sitting flat on the ground. I sprayed lightly back and forth.

Hope this helps,

Margie

It looks fabulous Margie!You have great attention for detail!

Maybe you will submit your display forHoliday Lights 2006? (hint hint hint ;););))

I know folks would love to see it!

Greg