Why I mainly use Pro lights

Rush0212

Here's another reason that I mainly use pro lights.

Last season I wanted to re wire my 3d star from my mega tree.

The lights that were on it, were led rope lights from christmas-leds , they were about 8 season old, and still worked fine, but I didnt like the way I wired them, one was a split cord, and longer, which just erked my ocd.

So i saw a great deal on a whole 150" spool of some bargain light from vida? I mean great deal, so I said with Ill get it.

Well after I put my tree up, a couple of days later [luckily before going live] One section is out, so I take the tree down, and see it looks like a section burned out, I rationalize well I didn't zip tie this one section down well, I thing it rubbed, and caused  the sheathing to get nicked, and it arched? I know long shot, but I mean the lights were totally burnt, I mean arched, black mess. I thought I took pictures, but I cant find them.

So I say Ill rewire it, because I still have over 120'!!

A couple of weeks go by, and I see one section of one rope is burnt out, but I'm not going to take it down now, It will have to wait till summer.

Fast forward to this summer, I get the star out, light it up on bench, ok here's the dead part, let me putt around do this and that ,and I hear something, like running water,shhhhhh, about that time I smell it, burning plastic/wire, I look down, and now see the smoke! SO I imediatley unplug it, and wait for it to go out,

2017-06-30_150844.jpg.a155423661de5444382b63f8e478fea6.jpg

2017-06-30_150851.jpg.4f1c2436e52a15f45376928f15c40e8a.jpg

I should've took a third picture, that burn went down below the tape for 1 1/2 feet, it was totally arched, I mean wtf hazard here.

Then thinking about it, I originally forgot, when I first got it, and set the very first cord, it shorted out the absolute minute I plugged it in the first time. I know this sounds stupid, but I remember thinking way back then , I must have installed backwards, which would not make this happen any way...

At any rate this is yet another reason/lesson to why I use mainly pro lights, I mean I still use some consumer lights like GE etc, but never again on some where that is hard to access during the season....

I did LED rope light in the pergola above my deck 2 years ago and have had many sections fail.  I used hot glue to seal the ends and I believe that was my mistake.  Two of the sections have discolorations on the inside of the tubing from the moisture that made its way in.  I have torn it all down for now and will replace it next year.  When I do, I will use the silicone and clear shrink tubing that I use to seal my RGB strips to seal the ends.  It held up very well last year.

On 8/19/2017 at 9:06 AM, Big J Illinois said:

I did LED rope light in the pergola above my deck 2 years ago and have had many sections fail.  I used hot glue to seal the ends and I believe that was my mistake.  Two of the sections have discolorations on the inside of the tubing from the moisture that made its way in.  I have torn it all down for now and will replace it next year.  When I do, I will use the silicone

I have been doing silicone at the ends under the end caps for years, at least 8 now

On 8/19/2017 at 9:06 AM, Big J Illinois said:

WOW!!!:blink: The green tape causes heat trap=failure....

LOL!!!

3 hours ago, Frank_Lo said:

Looks like the connector wasn't making a good connection with the wires inside the rope light and caused it to arc and burn.

I really, really don't think that's the case, because its happen 3 times, with only these lights, not any others Ive ever used. Plus on the last two sets they were both in use , the first maybe 3 weeks, the second set prolyy  1 1/2 -2 months, and on top of it, I cant see how the connectors would become loose with all the tape holding it together.

Archived