New Neighbor, Seen the Display and Wants it to Stop

• 1 month later...

moved in my new home this year from Colorado.  where I was  I was loved. everyone loved the display.   this year  im nervous I want it to be good  but I don't know what kind of response I will get from the new community I have moved to or my new neighbors  so we will see    but very nervous 

Thank you Scot for bringing this topic back around to where it needed to be. Two houses ago no one really decorated outside in my neighborhood. I was worried about theft, but I got my reindeer 90% off, so felt like I wasn't losing too much if it ever happened. Those reindeer are now 13 years old. Had some wires cut in one place, but figured it was possibly caused by some really messed up squirrel or rabbit who thought it was a psychedelic snake.

Last house EVERYONE decorated. Though I was still worried about theft, the children living on that street were annoying. I wasn't even in my 30s yet and I wanted them "off my lawn." One year, one bush netting was unplugged, most likely by someone playing hide and seek back there. Well, since I use LEDs, and plug everything into one, almost everything stayed off until I could fix it. Another year, some kids were brave enough to come to the door to tell me they accidentally unplugged it. Everything had iced over, and since that's extremely rare, they wanted to play on my property, slid, and tried to stop their fall by grabbing onto an extension cord, which would require a ladder to put back. This neighborhood also hired lawn care people, who were all about time and quantity rather than quality. Lost many lights due to their own weed wackers and hedge trimmers. They came every week even though nothing here grows in the winter.

Now that I'm at my current home, I have room to do practically anything light related without fear, but we still have animals that may try to defend themselves from a servant that "turned on" them. Last season I received a compliment note in my mailbox about them enjoying my display. I appreciated it so much that I kept it in the same box Ai keep some of my lights.

But back to the original issue, before this topic skewd onto some social/political tangent, when I moved to my new home, I was very much aware that it backs up to a "pumpkin patch". It has been there since 1996, so I was very knowledgable about the traffic it brings in. My pretty view is overrun by bright orange plastic fencing nets, and cars that almost reach to my property line, and stays that way until January because they convert to a more calmer "Christmas Tree farm." Now then, if I didn't have a young child, and was also completely ignorant of this event (even though google maps not only labels my neighbors property as the pumpkin patch, but also displays the property during October when they were in full swing) I'd've hoped that my realtor would have mentioned this during one of its many showings

The OP's neighbor might've not have had a realtor since they're renting, but already stated that they knew about the massive holiday event that's similar to my pumpkin patch story. My neighborhood was developed before the pumpkin patch idea was concieved, so to the eldery original owners, I do understand any inconveniences they may have, but many are moving out and downsizing while my generation is moving in. Any of us that has a problem with our holiday neighbor probably deserves any inconviences they receive. Some people will park on our street to avoid the crowd control $10 parking, but it's like 2-3 at most. So it's really not that bad. Although last year, I did notice one owner that's near the entrance block the entrance into his driveway by leaving out paint cans. I guess he was annoyed by all the people trying to use it to attempt a u turn. Knowing the way people in my town drive, I would worry more about having someone run over them and leave the contents all over the driveway instead.

22 hours ago, Scot Meyers said:

moved in my new home this year from Colorado.  where I was  I was loved. everyone loved the display.   this year  im nervous I want it to be good  but I don't know what kind of response I will get from the new community I have moved to or my new neighbors  so we will see    but very nervous 

I went through the same feelings when I moved 7 years ago.  A week before Halloween I started with my set up.  I said to my wife; now the neighbors will know somethings up.  I was used to people waiting for the show thanksgiving night but we had no one the first night.  Then after say 10 days it picked up and bigger then ever.  my new neighbors love it I bet yours will too. 

An update:  The same neighbor came by and asked if there was a way to shield my light (pictured) for his house.  The shop you see (980' away) is where he lives.  There is also a 4th leaf almond orchard in-between us now as well.   I said I didn't know of anything and shrugged my shoulders.

599931_2214809506323_1957114616_n.jpg

I swear our Christmas hobby makes us all paranoid.  I was burning a few limbs yesterday on my acre, and the fire dept. showed up.  Someone had turned me in.  Now, I wasn't mad because I'd known every since the city annexed our addition under the cover of night like the cowards they are (okay, that's another story) 13 years ago, that it was against city ordinances.  So, I'd always accepted the fact that some passerby might turn me in eventually.  But when the fireman told me the complaint came from someone in the addition, I immediately thought, "Someone is tired of my lights, and this is just the first salvo in their attempt to drive me out."  That's pretty paranoid, when you think that someone was simply asking the city to enforce the ordinance.  I spent hours trying to figure who I had hacked off., until I finally reassured myself this probably had nothing to do with my lights.  I hate acting like the nut who mows his lawn with the tin foil helmet to keep the Martians from reading his mind!

I have (had) one neighbor that complained year after year.  The rest love the show.  I had stopped doing interviews, entering contests & advertising because of him.  Trying to make peace with him, just didn't help.  Last year he called the Sheriff.  He was told that light displays were not illegal.  Then he called our HOA.  Funny thing is he "should" have known the HOA president has the 2nd largest light display in the neighborhood.  

:pow: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Fast forward to this year... He has (finally) moved away, and our display - my wife & I dressed up as Mr & Mrs Clause will be featured on the cover of our HOA magazine (it's a BIG community).  I think our traffic is going to get really heavy again!

4 hours ago, Tim Bateson said:

Fast forward to this year... He has (finally) moved away, and our display - my wife & I dressed up as Mr & Mrs Clause will be featured on the cover of our HOA magazine (it's a BIG community).  I think our traffic is going to get really heavy again!

Free at last!

my worry is my neighbor to the west of me   see I own two 1 acre lots next to each other.  the one on the east lot has my house  the one on the west lot is undeveloped and sits between me and my new neighbor.   he had his roof replaced about a month and a half ago  and I let the roofer guys drive on my west lot to work on his house no problem  but they failed to clean up.   so I took my magnet sweeper  and swept up all the nails being nice to my neighbor  so he  nor I would pop a lawn tractor tire.   well needless to say I was doing this and as he got home he met me at the property line  and chewed me out for being on his property and cleaning up the nails.  he then called me weird  and told me to stay off his property.   that's the last thing I needed was a ticked neighbor  but needless to say  I marked the property line with little utility flags  so I would not end up on his yard when i mowed.  and sure enough   I popped my tractor tire on a nail that I had missed when sweeping.    all I wanted was to get along with my neighbors  now I worry they wont like me.  and I will have relation issues with them  so we will see will start slow this year and not go as big as I usually do and build up to TADA!!!

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:45 PM, Scot Meyers said:

he then called me weird  and told me to stay off his property.  

I have heard so many stories of people wanting you to stay off their property or get a proscriptive easement on your property.  I guess the best thing to say is; good fences make for good neighbors. 

Hey Scott, I wouldn't worry in how big you go with the display...put up what you want and P### on him...you put your pants on the same way he does, breathe the same air...aren't you a tax paying citizen also? Don't let this clown decide what you can do on your property. If you want to paint the house blue with red polka dots, then I would say go for it. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have thought about a large runway on the property next to his house with blinking runway lights  and a big sign   SANTA LAND HERE!!! 

well the front yard is all done  so now we will see how my new neighbors react to the this new neighbors 1st year display

The people across the street sold their home to a retired couple earlier this year. In September, I saw them outside and went over to introduce myself. I asked them if they knew about my Christmas display. They said they used to drive to see it. So, I expected no issues whatsoever.

Fast forward to the weekend before Thanksgiving. I have the lights on the house, trees, garage, and two 14' frame trees up and running. I don't have even half the display up. But, the incandescent glow of 20k lights can be seen from several blocks away. I'm outside fixing a few light strands on a frame tree when I see my neighbor heading across the street. I had a premonition of doom.

Instead, she told me how her brother had passed away this week, and she was having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit *until* she saw my lights out her front window. She said she's leaving the shades open until I take it down after Christmas. She said she may not get her own lights up this year, but she truly appreciated me having mine up.

Now that is why I decorate.

That's a great story!

We had a similar situation except the neighbor developed Parkinson's and couldn't do ladders or roofs anymore. So when everyone was done with their lights we decorated his house for him. We even hooked him up to my show. They finally had to move but it was worth the effort it while they were here.

19 minutes ago, CraiginPA said:

Instead, she told me how her brother had passed away this week, and she was having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit *until* she saw my lights out her front window. She said she's leaving the shades open until I take it down after Christmas. She said she may not get her own lights up this year, but she truly appreciated me having mine up.

Now that is why I decorate.

I can totally relate to this story, only it was my wife who lost her brother and now her dad on Christmas morning. It is our light display that brings a smile to her face in the times of sadness, and I always try to make it better and better each year! I do it for her, and everyone else to lift their spirits, it is truly rewarding when strangers stop by and say as soon as they turn corner and see our house they grin ear to ear.  To all the scrooges-- I say this... Close your blinds, we don't want to look at you anyway~!

On a side not Craig- I would walk right over to her house when she isn't home and do up 1 of her best trees with a ton of lights and leave a note telling her peak outside at 5pm or whenever it's dark... tribute to your loved one awaits. 

The power of light is amazing.  I did this for my wife in my backyard. I decorated just one Japanese Bloodgood Maple which sits next to a bench with her brothers name. We call it "his tree" and its a special moment every year when I light that 1 tree in the back yard.

On 11/28/2017 at 5:02 PM, diamondkilo said:

On a side not Craig- I would walk right over to her house when she isn't home and do up 1 of her best trees with a ton of lights and leave a note telling her peak outside at 5pm or whenever it's dark... tribute to your loved one awaits. 

If she wasn't across the street (a 4 lane road), I would have already extended my display onto her property. I have my garlands on 70' of one neighbor's fence, and about 3000 lights on the peach trees in the front yard of the other side neighbor. 

As it is, her adult children visited over Thanksgiving, undoubtedly heard she wasn't going to decorate, and apparently dropped by sometime yesterday during the day and put up all her decorations. I was actually considering dropping a spare 10' mega tree, a LOR controller, and an easy-linker over there to surprise her, but seeing that she's now got a battalion of blowmold soldiers out there that she didn't have out last year, there's no space for it.

4 hours ago, CraiginPA said:

As it is, her adult children visited over Thanksgiving, undoubtedly heard she wasn't going to decorate, and apparently dropped by sometime yesterday during the day and put up all her decorations

Well then that's a good family then. And you are a good neighbor, a mega tree would have been a wonderful surprise!

Archived