Gfci tips

nallison20

Hello all.  I'm new to forums and need some expert advice on how to avoid GFCI trips.  We are up north and receive plenty of snow.   I know the basics, but how is everyone avoiding GFCI trips?  How do you keep the plugs off the ground?  Do you use cord protectors?  Do you lubricate connections, and how?  Will homemade extension cords connecting multiple items fare better than multiple outdoor rated extension cords going separately to 3 way connectors?  I use plastic stakes instead of metal when possible.   I need help and the best tips and tricks that you have, as I'm tired of constant trouble shooting.  Thank you!

Thank you Big J.  How do you recommend putting the grease on the connections?  I use over 350 extension cords for my 2 acre display, and I have too many lights to count.  They also play to music, about 40 songs, and they are constantly dancing.  This could also be accounting for GFCI trips.  If I keep the lights on solid, there are less problems.  With music, there is a bigger issue.  

• 1 year later...

Hello Nallison20,

I have been doing my display for many years now and have tried probably every suggested trick to keep the breakers from kicking? Bottom-line :  you can slow it down a lot but will never keep it from happening - Especially if you have a large display. The best thing I have found is to get the plug OFF the ground and at an angle so the water will shed off the plug.  I found that using a 1 foot garden stake (see attached picture) does a great job.  It looks like a foot long staple. Stick it in the ground, put a light clip on the stake and clip the extension cord to it. To keep water out of the plugs, I use a product that I get at Auto Zone called CLEAR RTV Silicon. (See Attached Picture)  I put a thin layer for the silicon on the female plug and when I plug the male in it causes a seal to happen - keeping water out of the plug.  Now, you will probably get a flood of responses contradicting my way, but that's OK.  After many years of trial and error this works for me.  Good luck with your display!!!!

Silicon for Plugs.jpg

Metal Stakes.jpg

Archived