Jump to content
Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recommended Posts

Okay I am new to this now I know I want to buy an Lor starter pack which starter pack will be best I don't want to buy something now and then wish I would have got something better later would it be the residential or the pro series that you would prefer somebody just getting started. I know once I start I will be addicted and will continue to grow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't see the advantages of paying more for the pro especially if you are using leds. The thing I did was buy used I got 3 controllers for about $350 then bought the software

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks MrMatt where did you get the controller so cheap the only ones I find they want a $200 or more for a controller thought it would be cheaper to buy the package since how I don't have nothing to get started with

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you don't need anything over the residential controllers...they are rated at 30 amps which means you have to have 2 separate 15A circuits to plug one controller into if you truly needed that many amps.  Most folks starting out only have 1 or 2 circuits (outside receptacles and a garage).  I have 3 separate circuits and run 9 controllers, plus 6 RGB power supplies for everything....

You are NOT going to look back and wish you spent more on the pro series controllers.

Keep an eye out around this forum and you will find folks selling controllers at reasonable prices....especially if they are converting over to RGBs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, qberg said:

you don't need anything over the residential controllers...they are rated at 30 amps which means you have to have 2 separate 15A circuits to plug one controller into if you truly needed that many amps.  Most folks starting out only have 1 or 2 circuits (outside receptacles and a garage).  I have 3 separate circuits and run 9 controllers, plus 6 RGB power supplies for everything....

You are NOT going to look back and wish you spent more on the pro series controllers.

Keep an eye out around this forum and you will find folks selling controllers at reasonable prices....especially if they are converting over to RGBs

Sorry OP not trying take over your post but i was kinda wondering the same thing.. and also wanted to ask you said you have to plug a 30 amp box into 2 seprate 15amp outlets? so i would need to use two totally driffrent outlets not on the same circuit breaker to hook up a 30 amp box? I know nothing about this stuff currently and for past about 10 yrs been using a MR Christmas box.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PCguy said:

you have to plug a 30 amp box into 2 seprate 15amp outlets? so i would need to use two totally driffrent outlets not on the same circuit breaker to hook up a 30 amp box

So in your house you go look at the circuit breaker box, you will see all your circuits are rated at 15 Amps....maybe 20 amps...for your normal household outlets.  The 30 amp LOR controller has 2x power cords on it, one for each side of the internal board with 8 outputs each. If you plug both power cords from the LOR outlet into the two receptacles on one outlet, which is only connected to one circuit in your house....you can not run 30 amps of stuff on your controller.  The CB in your house will trip at 15Amps...protecting the wire in the walls which is not rated at 30 amps.

So as I was saying, I do not need to use the full amperage of the LOR controller, I just need the 16 channels (switches) to control the lights.  Now before I added my 3rd circuit and still had a lot of incandescent lights, I would end up tripping my center outside circuit due to exceeding 15amps across the 3 controllers.  So what you do in this case is manage your amps through programing by never having all channels on at a time, converting to LEDs, or having an electrician add another circuit if your panel can accept it.  I am just about 95% LED this year and can finally turn em all on at once again  ;)   Bottom line is LEDs are solving a lot of this and allowing us to plug a lot of controllers all into a single circuit on the house.  

The Majority of folks are not purchasing more controllers because they need more amps....they just want more channels to separately control.  That is where your planning up front is important.  Think about what you want the lights to do, then draw it all out and count up the channels.  For instance, 4x color strands on the whole house and you can make the whole house change four different colors with only 4 channels.  If you have a two story house and want the upper and lower to be able to be controlled separate....8 channels.  add Left, center and right.....24 channels.  leaping arch...8 channels each.  etc.   chances are you start out small and work your way larger every year.

Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, qberg said:

So in your house you go look at the circuit breaker box, you will see all your circuits are rated at 15 Amps....maybe 20 amps...for your normal household outlets.  The 30 amp LOR controller has 2x power cords on it, one for each side of the internal board with 8 outputs each. If you plug both power cords from the LOR outlet into the two receptacles on one outlet, which is only connected to one circuit in your house....you can not run 30 amps of stuff on your controller.  The CB in your house will trip at 15Amps...protecting the wire in the walls which is not rated at 30 amps.

So as I was saying, I do not need to use the full amperage of the LOR controller, I just need the 16 channels (switches) to control the lights.  Now before I added my 3rd circuit and still had a lot of incandescent lights, I would end up tripping my center outside circuit due to exceeding 15amps across the 3 controllers.  So what you do in this case is manage your amps through programing by never having all channels on at a time, converting to LEDs, or having an electrician add another circuit if your panel can accept it.  I am just about 95% LED this year and can finally turn em all on at once again  ;)   Bottom line is LEDs are solving a lot of this and allowing us to plug a lot of controllers all into a single circuit on the house.  

The Majority of folks are not purchasing more controllers because they need more amps....they just want more channels to separately control.  That is where your planning up front is important.  Think about what you want the lights to do, then draw it all out and count up the channels.  For instance, 4x color strands on the whole house and you can make the whole house change four different colors with only 4 channels.  If you have a two story house and want the upper and lower to be able to be controlled separate....8 channels.  add Left, center and right.....24 channels.  leaping arch...8 channels each.  etc.   chances are you start out small and work your way larger every year.

Q

Oh alright, that makes sense.. I just wanted sure what the Box needed. as I am looking at them and hope to get one, maybe not for this Christmas cause i'm sure its to close to get one programmed but maybe for next year. Where i live is pretty newer home it was build in 2001 So it should have pretty good wiring. I normally plug my MR Christmas box into the outlet on the side of the house on the front. there are 2 or maybe 3 outlets around the side of the house.. I still have tons of older lights and have very LEDS. but I've never had more hooked up then it could handle with the MR Christmas. it has 8 channels and i get by with that but it be nice to control more. then i wouldn't have to run so many off the same channel with it. I still do some just static lights also that gets plugged into a driffrent outlet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...