Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vette-kid

Light balls

Anyone use light balls in their display? I found little frames at HD and decided to try one...it doesn't look right for some reason. I have a few live oaks that would be perfect for a handful of these but I don't want to buy the frames if I can't get them to look right.

Anyone use these? What's the secret? More lights? Zip ties to secure it more evenly? a31a290f7681a8f5b68512d5c738dff8.jpg0c22afe12cd79c8e7269b18a38fe757b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Do you have any 5mm lights?  Seems like they would help make it look less pointy.  I think I'd add more lights regardless.  There's never enough!

Take a look at the light balls/spheres GE sold n the past.  All of the lights point outward.  They really look nice, but were expensive.  Just looked they are available on Amazon.  Don’t buy the Fairy Light balls they look horrible.  I purchased a bunch of them years and never used them..

HJere’s a link.  Take a look at the plastic that surrounds each light/led.  Lights alone just don’t look as good.  The plastic is needed to reflect and detract the light.    You know.....  You know you might want to try battling an aluminum foil or mylar ball at the center to reflect the light.   More lights and a mylar ball, still don’t think you would be happy with thei results.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9SRT60/ref=asc_df_B01N9SRT605248620/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01N9SRT60&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198081434346&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13688883128067145008&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032027&hvtargid=pla-349779858410

Domed LED's would look great!!What was the item number for the sphere cages?

https://m.lowes.com/pd/0-83-ft-Hanging-Ball-Sculpture/1000111091?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalOutdoorLiving-_-TrimATree-_-1000111091:&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000111091&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=479&k_clickID=19fa05c7-fa7a-485e-a9e3-8551f51aed0e&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj_CJypil1wIVg2h-Ch1XMw9ZEAQYASABEgI8cPD_BwE

They are cheaper at lowes.

Take a look at the light balls/spheres GE sold n the past.  All of the lights point outward.  They really look nice, but were expensive.  Just looked they are available on Amazon.  Don’t buy the Fairy Light balls they look horrible.  I purchased a bunch of them years and never used them..
HJere’s a link.  Take a look at the plastic that surrounds each light/led.  Lights alone just don’t look as good.  The plastic is needed to reflect and detract the light.    You know.....  You know you might want to try battling an aluminum foil or mylar ball at the center to reflect the light.   More lights and a mylar ball, still don’t think you would be happy with thei results.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9SRT60/ref=asc_df_B01N9SRT605248620/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B01N9SRT60&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198081434346&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13688883128067145008&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032027&hvtargid=pla-349779858410

It looks great in my head, I just can't get reality to match it...common theme for me. I may go with snowfall led instead of the balls. Cheaper too. But I'm not giving up yet.

Do you have any 5mm lights?  Seems like they would help make it look less pointy.  I think I'd add more lights regardless.  There's never enough!

Hmm, you might be right, but I don't think I do. This was just an old strong of incans I used to see how it looks. I actually like the dual color look on these, but I don't want to use incans if I don't have to. Power becomes a problem pretty quick!

I like your persistence, +1.

Those light frames are $7.00 each?  For %7.00 I would think you would get 10 or at least 6.  But each?  Nort worth it in my mind..  Something you might wat to try is using clear plastic cups with the lights.  To make it look good you need something to bounce and refract the light off of.

Keep trying....

I would think for that kind of money you get a long piece of PVC and some chicken wire and make your own for a whole lot less

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

They aren't exactly cheap, but if it works I'll try to pick up several on sale when they get marked down.

Something American schools use to teach students.  Used in a sentence - President Trump has persisted in believing man caused climate change is not real until today.  Eventhought scientists persist in trying to prove man is not the cause of man caused climate change they have not been successful..

1 hour ago, Douggg said:

Something American schools use to teach students.  Used in a sentence - President Trump has persisted in believing man caused climate change is not real until today.  Eventhought scientists persist in trying to prove man is not the cause of man caused climate change they have not been successful..

what?  Not sure about the relevance of this post in this trail, let alone PC?  remember....keep it Christmas oriented...

christmas_fair_budapest.jpg.e089c761b9932538139dd22834b85781.jpg

I first saw the lighted balls in Budapest at their Christmas Market...they looked amazing.  They were made with a thin stick bent around...kind of like wicker, but very open design.  I have seen them made with chicken wire too...think the black coated chicken wire would work very well.  The big thing IMO is they have to be somewhat large 14"+ to look good.  

this video shows them a couple times too...

Those do look great! They look pretty good on the website too. Maybe just looking too close. I'm going to rewrap it and set it out tomorrow so I can stand back and look. I might also try a longer string of c3 lights.

You know, whatever lights you use,  it will look GREAT!! Its in all that you create,your own thoughts, ideas and imagination. Some things I thought I built looked hidious, but look great from a distance... i.e. the pvc trees I made last year. Up close, they look weird, but 70ft from the street, they look amazing.So the mini incans you have look perfect, and remember,no such thing as to many lights!!Good luck and post pics:)

Here is a picture of some larger ones - and really really big ones default_smile.png
fantastic-outdoor-christmas-light-decorations-with-white-and-blue-led-lights-globe-design-915x686.jpg.4559444a8c95a8a569c42e519fbdba71.jpg
Things to filter for in my new home.......a huge water feature in my front drive

Sent from my HTC Desire 626 using Tapatalk

i seen how you make some out of chicken wire. think i going to try making a couple this year to hang in random trees

11 hours ago, qberg said:

what?  Not sure about the relevance of this post in this trail, let alone PC?  remember....keep it Christmas oriented...

One of posters was asking a question abut the use of a word.  I was just helping him out with an examples of how the word is used an a sentence. 

Only proble I see in making these out of chicken wire is if the insulation on one of the strings of light breaks down and the wire touches the chicken wire frame you’ll have one “hot” ball.

3 hours ago, Douggg said:

if the insulation on one of the strings of light breaks down and the wire touches the chicken wire frame

absolutely....I recommend the coated chicken wire...comes in green and black.

I saw those green plastic pieces that you turn into a ball.  They were 10. in my city at Home Depot.  I thought they looked kinda chinsy. If you're interested, I can offer you 6 of those sphere/balls that others on this forum have written about.  They are still in their original boxes, some of the boxes are worn from being in the attic, but these spheres have never been used.  My price is 50. but you would have to pay shipping from zip 44039.  Let me know if interested.  Send a PM.       Scott  

20171105_183643.jpg

I make my own "light balls".  I have two. "Big Ball " that is about 18" in diameter and "little ball" that is about 10" in diameter.  Each one was made from wire frame baskets sold by a garden store to put moss in and then a plant I guess.  Ha!  One upright and one up-side-down wire tied together makes the world's cheapest light ball.  I use incandescent mini lights.  I would have to go to the barn to see exactly how many lights are on each ball.  But I would guess that the "little ball" has about 1,000 mini lights and the "big ball" has about 2,000 lights.  I used to use strings of red, green, and clear bulbs.  As strings become un-fixable, you have to strip the ball and start over  I now have only red and clear strings on the balls as this is more in keeping with my theme.  The balls are so over strung that some strings are buried by others and the balls are solid lights with no "daylight" showing .  IMHO they look great!!

I make my own "light balls".  I have two. "Big Ball " that is about 18" in diameter and "little ball" that is about 10" in diameter.  Each one was made from wire frame baskets sold by a garden store to put moss in and then a plant I guess.  Ha!  One upright and one up-side-down wire tied together makes the world's cheapest light ball.  I use incandescent mini lights.  I would have to go to the barn to see exactly how many lights are on each ball.  But I would guess that the "little ball" has about 1,000 mini lights and the "big ball" has about 2,000 lights.  I used to use strings of red, green, and clear bulbs.  As strings become un-fixable, you have to strip the ball and start over  I now have only red and clear strings on the balls as this is more in keeping with my theme.  The balls are so over strung that some strings are buried by others and the balls are solid lights with no "daylight" showing .  IMHO they look great!!

Holy mother! 1000 lights on a10"ball! I bet it looks awesome!