Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrillerDave

Interested in LOR but have questions

Okay guys so I think for next year I wanna go all out with a setup from LOR. But in all honesty I have no idea what I need, what kind of lights are compatible, how to tell if they are dimmable. What the difference between regular lights and pixels. Basically I'm looking for a total newbie intro into this stuff! If you guys know any good links to help me out that would be great! 

Most Normal Christmas lights are compatible with LOR. Some don't like to dim but if you add like a glade air freshener to the end of the string they usually will. Or There were a few posts I've seen about putting resistors in the end of their strings in a vampire plug to create dimming. (I can't remember what they called them someone help me here please) I use all led lights on mine but you can also use incandescence lights I don't like them because the power draw issues. 

R GB is a hole other ball of wax That I haven't started playing with yet so I can't tell you much about that.

http://www1.lightorama.com/lighting-starter-package/  This would be a great place to start .I highly recommend if you're going to do it to start sequencing your songs now. There are a lot of great YouTube tutorials on how to do it .But to be very honest I think my 1st song to me about 20 hours to get done .I'm much faster now but still you're looking at 5 to 12 Hours a song .

The next question you need to ask yourself though is how many channels do you want? That will dictate a large portion of how long it will take to Sequence a song. And how many controllers to buy .

Also I would start looking for either SP T1 or 2 wire. Do not buy it from lowes or home depot they're gonna just kill you on the price. I got a lot of mine off of various websites in there after Christmas sales for usually half off. I had an 80 channel show this year in a fairly small yard and I used over 1500' of SP T1 wire. Why you're buying the SP T1 wire also make sure you buy ends that match that particular wire. We call them vampire plugs and they usually run about 50 to 75 cents apiece. Order a minimum of a 100 each male and female. Also good number of the inline plugs or extra females and just cut the ends out .

This was my 1st year doing LOR as well be prepared to drop an easy two grand. I don't want to discourage you with that but realistically it's an expensive hobby. And I also when a little hog wild .

My final bit of advice is be active on this and other websites forums I have found the people who aren't active and then the last week in November 1st part of December really active asking for help  Don't get help as quickly and easily as people who've been on the forums asking questions all year. Also spend time on the light o rama forms and just their normal website.

I believe you are referring to a snubber, it’ll create a load needed to dim properly.

Its a very expensive hobby, even with making a lot of your own items.  

Personally id go with the sealed quality lights you get from the vendors on here, less hassle and maintence in the long run. More upfront cost, but I don’t regret it

Order at least 2k feet of spt wire for your first year

Ask tons of questions and opinions it’ll get your brain really going. 

I have LOR and love it. even tho im not yet running a show, ive got a small fortune invested with a bunch more to go. 

26 minutes ago, drkness said:

I believe you are referring to a snubber,

Thanks brain fart

Great post on snubbers

I can tell you the LED's from the box stores dim decently, IMO not enough to justify a commercial string of LED's. Don't overload the amps on your LOR box or channel, and allow 3x the amount of time you think you'll need for your first year.

The lights will be a lot more dramatic for flashing and fading with LED lights so be mindful of that when programming.

Don't be in a rush

Most importantly, Have fun!

Probably no the response you were looking for but there are lots of videos on YouTube about setting up LOR