LED Tree Lights Too Bright

toytrains25

I have changed my indoor tree lights from the old bulbs to C6 LEDs.  Unfortunately, these new LEDs are way too bright and I'd like to know if there is an easy way to dim the LED lights?  My idea is to have an enclosed electrical box with a normal plug, a dimmer switch of some kind and a cord with a plug that will then plug into the wall outlet.   I've read other posts that seem to indicate a special type of dimmer switch is required. 

I've attached a crude drawing showing what I've been thinking about. 

If someone can tell me what components I would need, and how to connect them, I can probably do the rest. 

Thanks!

idea.jpg

Used to have something like you're describing on our tree. Basically took an extension cord, cut it in half, and wired the two raw ends into a dimmer switch in a cheap box.

How will this work with your LED's? No idea, although I'll say a great number of my supposedly non-dimmable LED's do in fact dim, just not very smoothly. Your results may vary :) image.png.74b67a8721ecf7ea6e903c745e6d6758.png

Agnew with big j. I did it using a digital dimmer switch. I did it just like Stephen described. Cut an extension cord in half, wire that to the switch and put the switch in a wet location rated box with an "in use" cover. Mint that to a fiberglass pole or your choice of stake.

I tested various light strings with it and most did ok. Some would dim now than others, but I think they all did at least some.

Bottom line, it can be done and isn't difficult.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Sometimes I hate tapatalk. That first line is supposed to say " I agree" with big j.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Found the perfect solution! 

A friend of mine had a variac (variable ac transformer).  Plugged my lights into it and turned the dial down until I found a voltage that gave me the brightness I wanted.  Turned out 89 volts ac is just perfect for our tree. 

This wouldn't work with outside lights, since the variac I have isn't weatherproof, but it is great for my indoor tree lights. 

Just thought I'd pass along this information.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me!

Happy New Year!

Archived