Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

I am fascinated with what some people are creating with cutting edge 3-D printers. There are already web sites that offer both free and purchased 3-D printer files for making your own Christmas and Halloween decorations, it is worth your while if you have time to spare to browse the web and see what's actually out there! I was also wondering how easy it might be to bring some of the smaller old blowmolds back to life like the skull candle or devil head, etc, by scanning the originals and making the files available for people with 3d printers to reproduce copies. This is cutting edge tech just as synchronizing Christmas lights to music was 20 years ago, I would love to learn more about it, this may be a fascinating workshop idea for some future Christmas Expo. In the meantime has anyone here dabbled with 3D printers? Below are a few pictures of some of the neat stuff that people have made with them. I realize the size of these decorations is small but I'm sure it could be scaled up for larger size printers...

santaclaus-3d-model-obj-stl.jpg.94ac4682acf9f6dbf871ce06c8a48018.jpgnativity-crib-figures-low-poly-3d-model-stl.jpg.fcebccc45eebd9fa95204e8337b40231.jpg

There is a 3D printed Halloween Linus piece that General Foam made. It is the only one that I have ever heard about.  There is a PC member, Jordan Mills, who was lucky enough to purchase it.  If you search back to 10/31/17, under the topic of Halloween, you can see his posted pics of all the goodies he got before General Foam closed.  He says that the Linus is very heavy, about 20lbs.  The plastic was not the usual blow mold material, so he did not think that it could be lighted because the plastic is very thick.  I'm not sure of the actual height, but he displayed it on his front porch so it was not so small.

image.jpeg

Edited by donna123

I talked to lady at general foam last October. See said they got the 3D printer a few years ago. The way she talked it sound like they were working on a few prototype blowmolds at Norfolk plant. I wish i had asked more questions about the protoypes. Also a few years ago the largest 3D printer was on Jay Leno garage show. You can find it on-line (jay Leno 3D printed car Strati) on the show they printed a body of full size car. Also, there are many types of 3D printer. Some are just for prototypes and other are high strength plastic like car, bolt,nut... I talked to the guy that has a 3D printer and for prototype design a the plastic resin is not very strong so it has to be thicker to say together. They can be very fragile. I have not seen one that you could get light to pass through. But, if someone got the 3D CAD design used to make the Linus it could be reproduced or convert to a CNC mechine for making a aluminum blow mold. To be mass produced.

Also there is a 3D scanner that you could use to make a copy of a blow mold. From the 3D scan you can either make 3D prototype or make a aluminum blow mold using CNC mechine. I did see a Jay Leno garage tv show with a 3D scanner and he has a YouTube video of it in action. 

On 7/31/2018 at 8:02 PM, Mikeymatic said:

I am fascinated with what some people are creating with cutting edge 3-D printers.

3D printers might be able to make some of the replacement parts that are no longer readily available.  I think 3D printers might do a great job on things like carrot noses and Goofy ears.

TED

I noticed on eBay a guy has for sale 3D made light back plates for Santa best and GFP. He has a write up about it that’s attached below.

99388AB8-5D8E-4613-9E7F-81E31D0B5D05.png

94025AC7-3E9E-4600-91F7-14CAE38BDFA1.png

F235E9EC-CE91-49A5-B0E0-49A4CCF67D5E.png

3BDACBBE-59A5-4C69-A5FA-D3D50452DE2D.png

Those really look nice.  Over the years I've slowly gone through several, and I have had to start switching between Halloween and Christmas backings, depending on the season.  Finally, last year I just traced the outline of one of the old backing plates on a milk jug, cut out three and hot glued them together.  I cut out a slit for the chord and then screwed the light kid onto the plastic.  It actually worked.  Seeing as how I'm usually 10 years behind everyone else, I'm guessing this trick has been used by many others?

On 7/18/2019 at 12:20 PM, slankard said:

Those really look nice.  Over the years I've slowly gone through several, and I have had to start switching between Halloween and Christmas backings, depending on the season.  Finally, last year I just traced the outline of one of the old backing plates on a milk jug, cut out three and hot glued them together.  I cut out a slit for the chord and then screwed the light kid onto the plastic.  It actually worked.  Seeing as how I'm usually 10 years behind everyone else, I'm guessing this trick has been used by many others?

I think you have the right idea but maybe the wrong material.  You need a thicker plastic.  Something like the top of a plastic storage bin maybe.  (I imagine that you can buy sheets of plastic too although I'm not sure what to look for exactly or where.)  Also you can find some things in hardware stores (Home Depot, etc.) to use.  There are some plastic covers for electrical boxes that are round.  (A square one could be used for the Santa's Best molds I think.)  There are also '"test caps" for PVC plumbing pipe that are round and come in various sizes.   I'll give this some more thought and see if i can come up with some more ideas.  (I like the idea of what the guy is selling on eBay but I don't like the price.)

TED