best place to get chasing lights

finnegan

As my 9 year old just discovered on Friday, Target has two different types of chasing lights available in stock right now....$9.99 for 140 lights, they have sets with white lights and also multi lights....

He's happily chasing away in his bedroom right now.....

Randy

Along the same vein, I need a string of clear chasing lights. I have two different sets (one 150, the other 140), but neither of 'em is what I'm after.

The ones I have come with a selector of some type for various chases. If I select, for instance, 'slow chase', it does a slow chase, but it varies speed, direction, etc, while at that slow chase setting. Some idiot that was assigned a desk, chair, and pencil in a Christmas light factory somewhere in China decided that he needed to improve on a slow chase (or fast chase, etc). Is there anywhere I can find one that just chases in one direction, at one speed?

Dale W wrote:

If you buy the lights from Target (I have used them for several years) you need to keep the control box high and dry. The lights will start doing their own thing when the switch controller gets wet.

my $0.02 worth.

Having probably the largest collection of chasing lights, essentially 3 houses each carrying 4000 chasing lights each, I would like to say the "BEST" on the market are the "Target" brand 140 chasing lights.

I have not purchased any in 2 years but the ones I had were almost exactly 50 ft so 2 made 100 ft easily.

I second what you say about the controllers, but to me I go for the quality and size/spacing of the string. For me the controller is meant to be removed and replaced with 4 polarized plug and chasing control replaced with my AL or LOR controller.

Hey Joseph, I am definately coming to see your display this year! (I am the guy down on Anna Maria.) Are you going to the TSO concert Nov 3rd in Lakeland?

You say that you re-terminate the wires connecting them to four "LOR" female sockets. What is your usual number of circuits for a "chase?"

Ed

laser633 wrote:

Hey Joseph, I am definately coming to see your display this year! (I am the guy down on Anna Maria.) Are you going to the TSO concert Nov 3rd in Lakeland?

You say that you re-terminate the wires connecting them to four "LOR" female sockets. What is your usual number of circuits for a "chase?"

Well the target chasing lights have 1 neutral and 4 hots which you purchase home depot POLARIZED (one big and one small prong). You Wire in such a way that your 4 hots go onto the smaller right hand prong of a standard edison socket, the neutral goes into basically take your pick of which of the 4 sockets and place that neutral on the big prong. Do not power ANY of your plugs without all 4 being plugged in and make sure you plug them into the SAME Animated Lighting or LOR box, otherwise hots from one controller going into the neutral of another are sure to pop GFCI breakers on you.

• 2 weeks later...

> Having probably the largest collection of chasing lights, essentially 3 houses each

> carrying 4000 chasing lights each, I would like to say the "BEST" on the market

> are the "Target" brand 140 chasing lights.

Yep i gotta agree there ... Target's are one of the best!

my 2 favorites are ones that are no longer made tho:

* at one time Sams Club sold a 16 function 200 bulb set ... all that needs to be said is : great lights!

* one year Builders Square (now closed) sold a 100 bulb set that just Chased (but both directions & changed speeds) ... damn i loved those!

SeaGypsy wrote:

Hey, I'm looking for clear chasing lights in a 70 light string to do the wheels on a train wireform. Any ideas where I can find them? I'm located in Tampa, FL

Could you use a 140 set and go around twice? If you go in the same direction it should be fine.

TED

Joseph Ayo wrote:

I second what you say about the controllers, but to me I go for the quality and size/spacing of the string. For me the controller is meant to be removed and replaced with 4 polarized plug and chasing control replaced with my AL or LOR controller.

I agree and will be buying and modding more sets in the next few weeks.

Brian

I can use 140's if I can't find a smaller strand. I want touse them on a wireform train wheel so that I can animate each train car separately. The 140 set would force me to wire 2 cars together making it difficult to store also. Anyone have an idea how to do the wheels to look like they are moving. I do have another option of using a L-O-R channel to operate them

Would 80 bulbs work?

This would be a bit of work & sorta expensive as you'd need to buy multiple sets...

* First - get the set of 140 but make sure it uses 4 channels to chase (many of

the 150's have 3 channels (but still use a 4ch controller ... that makes the

animation/chasing look like crap).

Also get 4 20-bulb sets

* Second - shorten the set to 80 bulbs (20 each channel), Remove all remaining

bulbs

* Third - Remove bulbs from the 20's & put them in your 'new' 80-bulb chaser set

note: you could also use 12volt (10-light-set) bulbs for a chaser set as small as 40

(years ago Walgreens even sold such sets.. glad i picked up a few at the time

since they don't sell 'em anymore)