Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
PhilaGriswold

Finds at ACE Hardware

I just got in two gingerbread blow molds from ACE online: $30 each, which I felt was a good deal compared to the vampires on ebay.  Yesterday I ordered two 17 inch tall black cat blow molds for $4.99 each.  They really have some good deals on line and they'll deliver to your local store.

I have order a few blow molds from ACE this year. None of the ACEs around Atlanta have had any on display. They all say it on-line only.

Looked like a lot of old stock. They had a whole pallet full of faded pumpkins, I was surprised they were still trying to sell them for decent prices. The Christmas ones may have been leftover from last year. 

I ordered and picked up 6 gingerbread men.  they had an online 15% off sale making them 27 each.  They are the old Union mold being produced by CADO.   The box label had CADO on it.  So it could be new stock from CADO.  They are producing just a few of the molds.

Just got back from the closest Ace Hardware among the three in Las Vegas.  The only Halloween items were a bunch of Gemmy blow ups and the UP pumpkin pail and the kettle.  They were priced at $2.49 and no sale at this store so it was no sale for me.  I don't know if it is worth my time to try another Ace Hardware which is not far away but like this one owned privately so what they stock is up to the owners.  These have to be newly made CADO since UP closed 12 years ago and finding enough NOS would be unlikely. 

3 hours ago, Rich in Las Vegas said:

Just got back from the closest Ace Hardware among the three in Las Vegas.  The only Halloween items were a bunch of Gemmy blow ups and the UP pumpkin pail and the kettle.  They were priced at $2.49 and no sale at this store so it was no sale for me.  I don't know if it is worth my time to try another Ace Hardware which is not far away but like this one owned privately so what they stock is up to the owners.  These have to be newly made CADO since UP closed 12 years ago and finding enough NOS would be unlikely. 

The pumpkins I saw had to be old stock. One was the general foam one from a few years ago with the cut out face. Another one was the three pumpkin totem. The third was the flat back large pumpkin. Below are pictures of the ones I was talking about from google. All of them at that store were faded beyond belief and I’m surprised they were trying to sell them. 

36FFC5A7-1628-4B32-B90A-5D068299C229.jpeg

79A3E3CD-A159-45C5-8ACC-F6E1A53F6C0F.jpeg

6938A8E4-E964-430F-B49D-B190370A8C0C.jpeg

On 10/19/2018 at 2:37 PM, slankard said:

I just got in two gingerbread blow molds from ACE online: $30 each, which I felt was a good deal compared to the vampires on ebay.  Yesterday I ordered two 17 inch tall black cat blow molds for $4.99 each.  They really have some good deals on line and they'll deliver to your local store.

Yeah, I picked them up at $30ea too, which is cheaper than Amazon has them - Amazon currently lists at $50, though I picked some up for $35 earlier in the year. Still, the Ace deal felt relatively decent. 

On 10/19/2018 at 1:37 PM, slankard said:

Yesterday I ordered two 17 inch tall black cat blow molds for $4.99 each.  They really have some good deals on line and they'll deliver to your local store.

Is that the old Union black cat?

TED

On 10/19/2018 at 2:37 PM, slankard said:

I don't understand the hatred for ebay... There are some very good deals on ebay...

These all seem to be in line or less than what you paid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Christmas-Blow-Mold-Gingerbread-Figures-Boy-And-Girl-Two-Sided-Pair-Lot-Of-2/382597647509?hash=item591498cc95:g:VfgAAOSwu7xbpo8I:rk:3:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Christmas-Blow-Mold-Gingerbread-Figure-Two-Sided-Boy-Girl/382595696927?hash=item59147b091f:g:DEMAAOSwy2pbpo~W:rk:7:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Christmas-24-Gingerbread-Boy-Girl-2-Sided-Lighted-Union-Blow-Mold/232967702538?hash=item363df5080a:g:XVgAAOSwGI9bxRNB:rk:13:pf:0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Union-Gingerbread-Man-Blow-Mold-w-Candy-Cane/232974574440?hash=item363e5de368:g:zPsAAOSwMBdbzLND:rk:42:pf:0

47 minutes ago, 55cgas said:

You've found some exceptions to the general rule - eBay occasionally will have a decent deal, but the vast majority of their blowmolds (and Christmas lighting elements in general) are massively overpriced. Gotta assume shipping also - that 3rd one you linked has a $15 shipping tag attached to it, bringing total cost to $50, versus Ace which will ship them to store for free pickup at $29.99. That last one, the one with a candy cane, is the only "bargain deal" of the 4 - and it's an auction, not Buy It Now, so chances are the price will increase (and, it's missing it's light cord). 

Good for anyone that snags a deal on eBay - I've bought stuff from there for sure (mostly mesh frames that I can't find anywhere else) - it's just not one of my go-to shopping sites.

Edited by Stephen Blue

I would agree that eBay has some good deals on blow molds but they are far outweighed by the number of offerings that are ridiculous.  I bought two off of eBay so far and am satisfied.  I always select "lowest price plus shipping" rather than "best match" and "buy it now"  to eliminate the ones that are auctions and have ridiculous shipping charges.  Here's my example of one of them with ridiculous shipping prices.  It's an unusual Grand Venture climbing Santa that is priced at $125 but also carries a shipping charge of $148.62 for "economy USPS shipping".  No matter how good the blow mold is, I wouldn't pay that much for shipping.  I bought a 39" Santa from St Vincent De Paul in Chicago on eBay for $35 and paid $19 for shipping.  It came by USPS economy shipping (10 days) and was securely wrapped in bubble wrap and heavy gauge plastic sheeting.  I don't know how some of these sellers figure shipping but it looks like they jack up the shipping price for a lot more profit.climbing-santa.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Blue said:

You've found some exceptions to the general rule - eBay occasionally will have a decent deal, but the vast majority of their blowmolds (and Christmas lighting elements in general) are massively overpriced. Gotta assume shipping also - that 3rd one you linked has a $15 shipping tag attached to it, bringing total cost to $50, versus Ace which will ship them to store for free pickup at $29.99. That last one, the one with a candy cane, is the only "bargain deal" of the 4 - and it's an auction, not Buy It Now, so chances are the price will increase (and, it's missing it's light cord). 

Good for anyone that snags a deal on eBay - I've bought stuff from there for sure (mostly mesh frames that I can't find anywhere else) - it's just not one of my go-to shopping sites.

The third one I linked has a best offer feature, so i'm 99.9% sure you wouldn't be paying $50 shipped.. 

I don't know, while you say the vast majority is over priced, I just don't see it that way. I have found so many good deals on eBay. Take for example a couple months ago, I bought 4 Poloron reindeer for $150 shipped. I bought a Poloron mechanical Snowman working with the original shovel for $900, I bought multiple Poloron sleigh's for between $40 and $60,  Poloron carolers for $75 each, Empire mechanical sleigh for $125 shipped. 

Do some seller overprice their blowmolds, absolutely!! There are insanely priced blowmolds on ebay but if you know how and where to look, you'll find great deals.

I mean, you all can continue bashing ebay, that's fine, i'll just continue to find the deals. 

38 minutes ago, Scott Rob said:

I have had real good luck ordering union blow molds from ACE hardware and picking them up at the store. Free shipping to the store is great! They don’t sale all union items but they have some. The attached are some of them. Look under “blow molds” or “union products”. 

DE2FAFFB-0360-4D0E-9281-20122F4C6361.png

58E63BB8-1922-411A-B31E-6B69F565D7E8.png

E1B5A57A-3BE5-4B6D-B7DD-9C8B8B481948.png

01A4688A-0063-4865-9C3B-A5EB57671604.png

Hope there is a ACE near you.

Ours didn't have anything. I went to one when I was on my business trip. They didn't have anything. I was disappointed. 

TED, they came in yesterday.  I couldn't see anything on them, but they were made of a very thin plastic with a slit cut in the top of the head, almost as if they were to be used as a piggy bank (or kitty bank).  Don't know how durable they'll be, but for five bucks a piece, I can use them in my Halloween display.

As far as EBAY, I think part of my problem is that I remember what a lot of these blow molds went for in the 90's, and it just kills me.  I can see the prices they charge for the vintage ones from the '60's or even '70's, but something made in the 90's is still practically new in my mind.  If if was just EBAY, it wouldn't bother me that much, but the problem is, I've been in antique shops where the owners literally go on EBAY to find the price to charge, like they're going to have thousands of customers come in that day just to look at a blow mold.  I feel it's artificially jacking up the prices for  everyone else.  If I lived farther up north I think it wouldn't bother me as much because I've seen the great garage sale finds people have posted on here.  But in Tulsa, I can spend every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning for a year (a little exaggeration, but not much) and be lucky to find two!

2 hours ago, slankard said:

TED, they came in yesterday.  I couldn't see anything on them, but they were made of a very thin plastic with a slit cut in the top of the head, almost as if they were to be used as a piggy bank (or kitty bank).  Don't know how durable they'll be, but for five bucks a piece, I can use them in my Halloween display.

As far as EBAY, I think part of my problem is that I remember what a lot of these blow molds went for in the 90's, and it just kills me.  I can see the prices they charge for the vintage ones from the '60's or even '70's, but something made in the 90's is still practically new in my mind.  If if was just EBAY, it wouldn't bother me that much, but the problem is, I've been in antique shops where the owners literally go on EBAY to find the price to charge, like they're going to have thousands of customers come in that day just to look at a blow mold.  I feel it's artificially jacking up the prices for  everyone else.  If I lived farther up north I think it wouldn't bother me as much because I've seen the great garage sale finds people have posted on here.  But in Tulsa, I can spend every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday morning for a year (a little exaggeration, but not much) and be lucky to find two!

I do agree, I bought all these molds new in the 80's and 90's too. I would wake up at 6am and go to the many stores that carried them, the day after Christmas, and get them for 50% off, so yeah, I know where you are coming from. But you have to understand now that none of these companies exist anymore nor do most of the stores that carried them back then. Whats left out there is all that's left and the more people that want them the higher the prices will be.  

I go to MANY and drive past MANY garage sales in my area and never see any blowmolds, I have no idea where these people go to find the molds they find at the prices they find them at.

Edited by 55cgas

They have got to be out there somewhere.  I didn't start looking for blow molds until this past February.  Most of mine have come from thrift stores and much of what they get is the leftovers from somebody's garage sale.  I went to Goodwill's outlet store this morning and picked up three blow mold pumpkins.  One was last year's Target GFP pumpkin with the $1 sticker still on the base.  The best one is the Grand Venture pumpkin.  It's about twice the thickness of the GFP mold and is mold dated 1997 when they first started to make them but there is no manufacturing date the way GFP does it.  The third is a Mars pumpkin with "Mars 1989" on the base.  It's really interesting.  The last one is a foam pumpkin with the light missing but I took care of that using a 10 LED auto light that just fits over the hole in the back.  All four together were less than a dollar.

DSCF9360.jpgDSCF9361.jpg172284918824-ebay-rcvd-10-19.jpg

Most of the time shipping is a deal breaker for me whether it's from eBay or some other source.  I do think the shipping calculator on eBay will sometimes come up with crazy shipping prices but other times it's the seller.  That is the reason why eBay changed their fee format to apply to both the selling price and the shipping price.  Dishonest sellers were avoiding fees by jacking up the shipping price.

TED

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 2:40 PM, Scott Rob said:

Hope there is a ACE near you.

Has anyone else noticed some weirdness with the Ace website?  For example in the picture Scott posted you can see the Halloween candle is $14.99.  I happened to already have the item open on my computer (at $16.99) before I saw Scott's post.  So I refreshed the page thinking the price would change to 14.99 but it did not.  Then I tried opening the item in a new private window and it came up at 14.99.  So I thought the price went down but they wanted to charge me the old price and hide the lower price from me.  So I thought I'll outsmart them and i cleared all my cookies.  I opened up the Ace site again and the price was back to 16.99.  I wonder if they store the IP number and use that instead of cookies.  I just checked now since it's after Halloween to see if the prices might have gone down but instead all the discounted prices are gone except the zombie gnome.  (For example the pumpkin was $2 less but now it's not.)  Does anybody know whats going on?

TED

The ace hardwares in down town Atlanta area are all $2 dollars more than metro Atlanta area. So I set my store in metro and it went down $2 dollars.