Who uses snow machines?

logan_moore

I am thinking of adding a snow machine or two to the top of my house for the song let it snow let it snow, has anyone else used one. I have been looking at the chauvet brand of snow machines. Would I be able to control these using LOR, how long did a full tank of snow fluid last you. Does it give good enough results for me to actually get one, do people notice the snow?

Thanks,

Logan Moore

Guest bbayliss

Logan,

I have not used one in my Christmas display, but there is a huge display in Kileen that uses two of them as you pay to drive down the trail,and it is very noticable. Maybe someone else can give you a better idea of fluid consumption. However if you do decide to purchase one, let me know. I am a Chauvet dealer and I offer a discount to all PC members.

Brian Bayliss

Brian, Is there anyway you could email me the discounted price of the Colorsplash JR. Or atleast im pretty sure thats the name of it. Its the Red Green Blue LED Par can type fixture. With DMX outputs/inputs on the rear of it. Thanks in advance.. I would appreciate it if you could email that to me.. sorry for the small off topic note...Would one of these snow machines work in an envoirnment where it goes cold and actually does snow.. but not always a lot of snow?

My email is.. [email protected]

I have been useing a snow machine for the last 4 years, it's really seems to be a hit with people of all ages.

T 1st one I bought off of ebay was a "Cheap" one and only lasted 2 winters then the plastic case broke and the motor seized up, now I rent one every year and it works well.

These machines use LOTS of fluid, and at $202.00 per 20L pail it gets pricey !!! Iuse 4 to 6 L per night times 30 odd nights= big $$$ But it's worth it to see people waiting to have there picture taken when it's snowing.

I have tried mixing my own fluid...but it's never the same and you end up with a slippery mess.

Norm

post-386-129570971376_thumb.jpg

finnegan wrote:

heres a better question anyone know how they actually work--are they just like a fog machine inside or is it totally different

Well when mine broke I took it apart to see what was inside...Like all guys do !!! What I found was a high power fan, small pump to move the fluid into the fans airflow and a very fine mesh sock on the front that the air and fluid go into, as the mixture passes through the sock it turns into small bubbles that look like snow, very simple machine I just have not had the time ti try to build one.

As for the fluid, I still like the store bought stuff as it works well and theres no mess, and it won't hurt the environment. With the store bought fluid I do mix it 50/50 with water to make it go a bit further.

Norm

I have a True North snow machine. It looks very similar to Norm's. I did not clean mine out one time and it clogged up. I took it apart and it is just like the one Norm has. It is a hit with the crowd. It works best up high and letting the snow come down. You can light it from the side and get good results. It is expensive to operate. The fluid is not cheap. I have mine on a remote control so that it does not operate all the time so I can generally get a bottle of fluid to last an evening. I don't put it out every evening either. I think you would be happy with one of these.

Andy Anderson

G'day Logan,

I have used an Antari S100 MK2 for the last 2 Christmas seasons (brought in from the US) and it has been a huge hit, with kids of all ages and people who I meet during the year keep referring to it. I chose this unit as it had a DMXinterface so that I could control when the snow went on / off. I agree with Norm's comments that snow fluid is very expensive, however I've been using bubble bath at a fraction of the cost, although I needed to try a few different types before I found a solution that worked well.

Mine is mounted in the garage approx 7' up and blows snow out onto the driveway about 10'. There are a few photos and a small video of it in action from my 2004 website at www.dazzlinglights.com/xmas2004

For the last 2 years I average about 2 litres per night, based on approx 5 seconds on every 30 seconds for about 2 hours. You can set the flow rate which can also assist. The trick is obviously mounting it in a location that you can easily get fluid to refill it. This year I'll be interfacing the snow machine to LOR when Dan releases the LOR > DMX interface.

Hope this helps.

davidt, Australia

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any updated information for this? I'd like to do this for a section of just one song that comes back around every 15 minutes.

I also have three concerns:

1] That whatever chemical does not kill tall fescue grass that is still actively growing and green.

2] That it does not create a slippery mess.

3] That it not be temperature sensitive (say, 0F to 60F is good).

Ed wrote:

Okay…so I take it some of these machines are not temperature dependent?

Certainly the ones at that neat website, which I forget, (they mix compressed air with water) needs a very particular temperature and humidity range. So even though the thought of getting real snow with just water and electricity is cool, I have to eliminate that choice.

I know that the most popular choice seems to be some sort of micro-bubble maker, and I'm pretty confident, although not for sure, it will continue to operate with -15F and warmer temperatures? And that they're okay to operate outdoors with potential exposure to rain? (That has me worried on the DJ type devices. I could just be worrying for nothing. I don't know.)