GE Energy Smart LED C9s... made better.

Cullen Wassell

Okay, so I realize this is subjective.  That being said, I just can't dig the stereotypical hyper-saturated LED colors.  No matter how hard I try.  I wanted to like that look.  I still want to, because it's the future...or is it?  Well... I did a little experiment to that end last night.

First pic - as they came from the store right after I bought them last year. 

20171031_220207.thumb.jpg.ed73b07f534d0931d306e829cf618e21.jpg

Second pic - after swapping the globes onto an identical (Energy Smart) warm white strand I bought last night.
20181117_163637.thumb.jpg.581701c65074f6eab7df29a079dbc322.jpg

They look like real lights now. And actually, the warm white strand uses 2.8 fewer watts than the original multi strand they were on.  @hotrod1965, proof-of-concept for what I was bugging you about last year.  These look so much more like Christmas now.

I've been wrestling with the same struggle for the perfect multi-color for 3 years. The GE set pictured does look really close to original classic look. My issue for them would be price, durability, longevity, custom runs, etc. I'm not a fan of the saturated look of current LED's -but I have learned to adapt and accept it. The trade off for me is that I have had my LED's for around 4-5 years and my fail rate is almost non existent. The only issue I honestly have is yellowing from the sun on the warm white C9's. Hopefully my current setup will get me through till the perfect multi-color arrives!

I've looked at the SMD ceramic style c9's as well as the classic t5's which look really good- but just not there yet. I must have filled my cart at HLE a thousand times, and couldn't commit! Hopefully they will perfect the multi-color in the coming year or two! I am certain @hotrod1965  will have us covered when that happens! He is a top notch member/vendor! 

This video changed my mind on the led color for sure! Amazing use of colors in the first house. It has inspired me to place a test order for my backyard! Thanks Hotrod!  LOL

Anyway, just my 23 cents.

I came across a used 36 light set by GE called iTwinkle lights and it is Bluetooth controlled.  They are bigger than a C9 bulb.  They were probably sold by Home Depot in 2016 and 2017 because there are reviews there.   I love the color rendition and brightness.  Apparently the programming wasn't flawless though so the reviews are half "great" and half "horrible".  I paid $2.50 for the string so it was worth taking the chance.  I'd buy a second string if they were reasonable but the only place they are available is on eBay and the price is an eye popping $117.

1 hour ago, Rich in Las Vegas said:

I came across a used 36 light set by GE called iTwinkle lights and it is Bluetooth controlled.  They are bigger than a C9 bulb.  They were probably sold by Home Depot in 2016 and 2017 because there are reviews there.   I love the color rendition and brightness.  Apparently the programming wasn't flawless though so the reviews are half "great" and half "horrible".  I paid $2.50 for the string so it was worth taking the chance.  I'd buy a second string if they were reasonable but the only place they are available is on eBay and the price is an eye popping $117.

We have something similar, but actually works pretty good. There's videos if you click the picture.

https://www.holiday-light-express.com/RGBMinipixels.php

@hotrod1965 I was doing some poking around in a FB group I'm in and I came over something that might be just the ticket... so I just sent an order your way.  Gonna try this... I've been told replacing blue with teal does the trick in getting rid of that typical LED harshness.

Ordered a total of 25... 4x R/G/Y/T 3x WW/O/Pi.  Having a total of 4 warm colors (red. yellow, orange, pink) should help too...

On 11/24/2018 at 1:56 PM, Cullen Wassell said:

@hotrod1965 I was doing some poking around in a FB group I'm in and I came over something that might be just the ticket... so I just sent an order your way.  Gonna try this... I've been told replacing blue with teal does the trick in getting rid of that typical LED harshness.

Ordered a total of 25... 4x R/G/Y/T 3x WW/O/Pi.  Having a total of 4 warm colors (red. yellow, orange, pink) should help too...

The teal is a pretty color! 

Thanks for the order!

1 hour ago, hotrod1965 said:

The teal is a pretty color! 

Thanks for the order!

This was the pic that sold me on the teal idea. (And the 7 colors.)  It definitely looks like a nice mellow alternative and actually similar to the way the more recent incan blues light up.  By contrast, regular blue LEDs actually seem to give off a bit of a black light effect, and to that end, my neon yellow high-vis vest does in fact glow under a blue LED.

20934091_1246613098784088_1521865641114458770_o.thumb.jpg.6ca32541a33ebe729c05d341d5542fbb.jpg

Yes I bought some of those teal SMD C9 bulbs from HLE also and they really "pop" compared to the regular 5 LED blues, there seems to be a lot more light output in the visible spectrum. Like the picture you posted, cutting edge LED technology screwed into what looks like a 60+ year old string, and especially the teal looks almost like the original mazda bulbs.

Archived