Best way to have a 8' cut out stand up?

xxnonamexx

My father made 2 8' toy soldier cutouts out of 3/4" plywood. He usually attaches to a railing and has no issues. I am looking to take them for my house as they are heavy for him to put up yearly but the area I want to put them one I can put against a tree and the other I would have to put in the ground but I know with strong wind it will take it down. ANy ideas how to make this freestand in the ground? Thanks

I use 30-36" PVC sleeve in the ground and metal electrical conduit for my 16" Mega tree and the 20+' flying Santa & reindeer.  The conduit comes in 10' pieces.  My recommendation is go 2 - 2.5".  I will take pics when my display comes down.  End of season I just put a cap on the PVC sleeve to keep dirt out for next year.  That is a 6'x6' 10mm coro snow globe  screen for my projection.20161220_204037.thumb.jpg.d6e0a6583587cb854977acb68ce59f67.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey XXNoNameXX -

I know I'm really late coming to the party... but better late than never, right?  I have quite a few 8' coroplast (I used to use wood based, but switched to coro) characters that I put up each year in a very windy location.  I drive two stakes (either metal conduit or 1x2 pressure treated) into the ground (rather solidly).  Then I screw through the wooden stake into the frame of the character.  I also supplement this with guy wires on both the front and the back side.  Usually two stakes and guy wires on the back and one stake and guy wire on the front.  Fortunately, the wires are thin and are not seen at night time with the flood lights showing on the characters.  I've included a captured image from a video tutorial showing the backside of a (shorter) character... as well as a pic of the front side of an 8' character from one of my displays at night time.  You can see the stake in the ground in front of the lamppost ... but the guy wire is virtually invisible.  There are two guy wires on the backside.DSCF3727.thumb.JPG.7049e8de52af0a9273e162332401109d.JPG

Coro stake a character.png

Archived