Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
donna123

Do you know who made this snowman?

I have only seen this snowman a few times.   I think it is the only snowman with a carrot shaped mouth.  For some reason I thought we had some info on it here, but I can't find it.  I hope someone can tell me who made it.  I also looked at Blow-molded, but no luck. 

Screenshot_2019-11-16-12-48-28.png

I don't recognize it but the style reminds me of Drainage Products.  It also has  a bit of a TPI look.  Obviously these are just guesses.  I haven't ever seen a carrot mouth before.  It's odd!

TED

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TED said:

I don't recognize it but the style reminds me of Drainage Products.  It also has  a bit of a TPI look.  Obviously these are just guesses.  I haven't ever seen a carrot mouth before.  It's odd!

TED

Ted,

I agree it's very different.  The patterning on the scarf kind of reminds of that vintage Empire snow family where the lady has the pattern on her apron, and yet the coal shaped eyes remind me of the early Union snowman with the boy and girl on each side.  I wish Mel was around to help.  :)

BTW, Thanks for your responses because there are many times nobody bothers to respond.  

Hi Donna,

I'm around at least for a while again.  The snowman looks familiar but I can not find it in my files yet (if it is in the files).

I know what you mean by nobody bothers to respond, that is why I left.  People would ask for information and I would do what I could to help and then they didn't even acknowledge that they got thee information so I gave up on it.

Mel

• Like 1

I always respond Mel, I said a while back..when Chuck was looking for new ideas, to do a one on one with you. You have knowledge ,a VAST amount, that none else has!! I truly appreciate what you do! Thanks J

9 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Hi Donna,

I'm around at least for a while again.  The snowman looks familiar but I can not find it in my files yet (if it is in the files).

I know what you mean by nobody bothers to respond, that is why I left.  People would ask for information and I would do what I could to help and then they didn't even acknowledge that they got thee information so I gave up on it.

Mel

Thanks Mel, 

Good to see you here again!  I was also gone for a while.  I got so disappointed and angry over the ridiculous asking prices on the on-line stores (all of them).  Asking up to $95.00 or more for a table top blow mold was too much for me.  I went without buying any for a year because I needed to stay away.  I was even considering giving it all up and selling mine.  Thank goodness my dear husband convinced me not to do that.  I'm just coming back to PC regularly and I hope more members will return.  

Thanks for trying to find info on this snowman.  I think we talked about it before, but couldn't find it here.  

Donna

Hey Donna, me also, the prices are NUTS!! I have thought of selling off the 200 molds we have,but it's our passion lol, dont let the price gouging keep you enjoying what you like:)  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

I always respond Mel, I said a while back..when Chuck was looking for new ideas, to do a one on one with you. You have knowledge ,a VAST amount, that none else has!! I truly appreciate what you do! Thanks s

Yes, I know you do respond but the majority do not.  It does get discouraging when I take the time to look up the information and post it and many times there are a lot of views but no comments whatsoever.  It is that way in most of the Facebook groups also.  I personally do not know of any groups that are interested in actually discussing the blow molds other then the value or where they can get them cheap.  There does not seem to be much of anyone that is interested in and discussing the history of the holiday blow molds and that has been my main interest in them the last few years.  Even Kev does not appear to have any interest anymore as he has not done any updating of blow-molded.com for three years now and I and others have sent many pictures and updated information to him during this time period.

Mel

4 hours ago, Big J Illinois said:

Hey Donna, me also, the prices are NUTS!! I have thought of selling off the 200 molds we have,but it's our passion lol, dont let the price gouging keep you enjoying what you like:)  

Big J, 

Yes, you are right about not letting the gouging get to me.  I spent a lot of time cursing these folks in my head, but now not so much...lol.  

20 hours ago, Mel Fischer said:

Hi Donna,

Mel

Hi Mel glad to hear from you again. I know I all ways respond to you. But I know about      Feeling left out. I work for large power company and every time a hurricane or tornado happens in south we go out and work on restoring power but most people I run across just ask when the lights will be back on. After we get the lights back on it’s only a few that come out and say thanks. 

Also I had questions do you know it the below candles were made by TPI or someone else?

On 11/7/2019 at 8:37 PM, Scott Rob said:

Craigslist has been kind to me! Some of the items I got I am not sure who made them? It a set of Noel candles with non-fused plug see pictures below. Also I got a Santa with empire stamp on it but can’t find one that matches on blow molded. Any help would be appreciated.

44CCFF95-0CBB-4E5C-92E1-F222B706EC8B.jpeg

1EA7F340-12B3-4232-B491-17A84FDECFC7.jpeg

042ED155-E856-4322-A842-C305C5558C18.jpeg

6ED5490B-BF16-44F9-8719-727B0C64C892.jpeg

AF3B8D9D-3FAD-49AA-8BC4-1120CD3D3308.jpeg

B15A55E6-93A6-4820-9375-D8EE5CF957E9.jpeg

875CAD68-1954-4EAD-9B87-FB6E7AB4D554.jpeg

Hi Scott,

Your Santa is the 40" Empire #15791 Santa, they also made him as their #16261 "African American Santa".  He was introduced as new in their 1999 catalog.  In their 2000 catalog they have him as their #1579 and do not mention the African American version.  They only had him for two years and we don't see him very often   General Foam bought Empire's molds in 2000 and both the Santa and African American Santa are in their 2001 catalog.  They made him up through 2011.

I will check my files and see if I have anything on the candles.

Mel

Empire Plastics 1999 Catalog 010s Page 58.jpg

Edited by Mel Fischer

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping we get a revival on this site as maybe people who stepped away start coming back. I'm one of those who love the history side of blow molds (especially, but not limited to, municipals) and looking through old threads is where I learned so much! I truly appreciate everything that this community and those who contribute so much to it have shared in the past. Thank you many, many times over. 

Christian

21 minutes ago, Light in the Dark said:

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping we get a revival on this site as maybe people who stepped away start coming back. I'm one of those who love the history side of blow molds (especially, but not limited to, municipals) and looking through old threads is where I learned so much! I truly appreciate everything that this community and those who contribute so much to it have shared in the past. Thank you many, many times over. 

Christian

Hi Christian,

I have been helped many, many times also.  It would be wonderful if members started to post again.    :)

Donna

Hope you don't care if I take a shot at it.

The candles look to be early poloron. The candle tops,drips,and stripes are identical to poloron and later grand venture.The base of course is not the same as the ones we are used too,and I never saw a "noel" candle in that style. 

The small snowman is likely early TPI. I don't think drainage made anything under 22" (table tops),and it has the details in the scarf that no other manufactures used. Very similiar to all of tpi snowman scarfs and the 31" snowman we are used to seeing.The 31" snowman also had detailed gloves.

I agree the flame looks just like Poloron C39 candle frame and I did measure my candles and there 38” tall. The GV flame also looks same. I attached some other pictures. Also one of the flames had been broken and the guy I bought them from had used packing tape to repair it. I am planning on trying to glue it back together. 

026C9A23-01ED-4852-A2D8-1DB98DA28EA4.jpeg

2426ED2C-8383-4E6E-A406-B1C537304C3B.jpeg

11B49225-9728-4C07-98A0-6C7044E6F451.jpeg

82A276A7-F741-4FE8-AEE0-34A845F1C350.jpeg

Edited by Scott Rob

Also I think the wiring harness might help since it has a non-polarized plug. And a unique way the lamp holder but I don’t have a Poloron or GV candle so I can’t compare. 

79FE70A8-E3ED-4766-800B-25FDF4F69605.jpeg

498CFE9E-A5F6-4C87-8444-485EF426E5B1.jpeg

4A86BE37-B01D-48F1-915B-F70F232E0402.jpeg

D6BAE0BA-3F06-464D-97C3-252F5E57C35A.jpeg

Here is what the Grand Venture and Empire candles look like.

Yours looks like it was ruff cut to that opening

DSCN1223.JPG

On 11/21/2019 at 8:46 AM, donna123 said:

I wish Mel was around to help.  :)

BTW, Thanks for your responses because there are many times nobody bothers to respond.

You are welcome! 

On 11/22/2019 at 12:35 AM, Mel Fischer said:

Hi Donna,

Mel

Hey Mel!  I'm so glad to see you posting again!  I certainly understand your point.  A simple acknowledgement shouldn't be too much to ask.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:25 AM, donna123 said:

Thanks Mel, 

Good to see you here again!  I was also gone for a while.  I got so disappointed and angry over the ridiculous asking prices on the on-line stores (all of them).  Asking up to $95.00 or more for a table top blow mold was too much for me.  I went without buying any for a year because I needed to stay away.  I was even considering giving it all up and selling mine.  Thank goodness my dear husband convinced me not to do that.  I'm just coming back to PC regularly and I hope more members will return.  

Thanks for trying to find info on this snowman.  I think we talked about it before, but couldn't find it here.  

Donna

Oh man don't get me started about the online prices!  In addition to the outrageous price the shipping is usually a deal breaker.  However it does not make me want to sell my 'molds.

On 11/22/2019 at 10:40 AM, Big J Illinois said:

Yep.  It doesn't make me want to sell off my 'molds but it does discourage me from buying new ones.
 Most of the ones I've bought in the last few years have been used.  That's not just because of price though.  There haven't been very many new ones available!  (We don't have Menard's around here.)  I have bought a few of the ones from Kroger.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Yes, I know you do respond but the majority do not.  It does get discouraging when I take the time to look up the information and post it and many times there are a lot of views but no comments whatsoever.  It is that way in most of the Facebook groups also.  I personally do not know of any groups that are interested in actually discussing the blow molds other then the value or where they can get them cheap.  There does not seem to be much of anyone that is interested in and discussing the history of the holiday blow molds and that has been my main interest in them the last few years.  Even Kev does not appear to have any interest anymore as he has not done any updating of blow-molded.com for three years now and I and others have sent many pictures and updated information to him during this time period.

Mel

I find some of the history very interesting.    Sometimes I don't feel like I have anything meaningful to add to the discussion.   I may not always comment but I do always enjoy your posts.

Do you think that Kev might be open to letting someone help with the updates?

On 11/22/2019 at 9:17 PM, Scott Rob said:

Hi Mel glad to hear from you again. I know I all ways respond to you. But I know about      Feeling left out. I work for large power company and every time a hurricane or tornado happens in south we go out and work on restoring power but most people I run across just ask when the lights will be back on. After we get the lights back on it’s only a few that come out and say thanks.

Scott I'm in the South but we don't have hurricanes here in Arkansas.   We do have tornadoes and once in a while ice storms.  There have been times when out of state crews came in to help restore power.  So if you've ever come down to AR to restore power, Thanks!

On 11/22/2019 at 10:12 PM, Mel Fischer said:

Hi Scott,

Your Santa is the 40" Empire #15791 Santa, they also made him as their #16261 "African American Santa".  He was introduced as new in their 1999 catalog.  In their 2000 catalog they have him as their #1579 and do not mention the African American version.  They only had him for two years and we don't see him very often   General Foam bought Empire's molds in 2000 and both the Santa and African American Santa are in their 2001 catalog.  They made him up through 2011.

I will check my files and see if I have anything on the candles.

Mel

Empire Plastics 1999 Catalog 010s Page 58.jpg

I remember those being sold as the "fat Santa" at Kmart.  I think maybe they were sold at walmart also but I'm not positive.

On 11/23/2019 at 11:00 AM, Light in the Dark said:

Hi everyone,

Christian

Things usually pick up this time of year.  If this thread is any indication it's happening now.

18 hours ago, Scott Rob said:

Also I think the wiring harness might help since it has a non-polarized plug. And a unique way the lamp holder but I don’t have a Poloron or GV candle so I can’t compare. 

79FE70A8-E3ED-4766-800B-25FDF4F69605.jpeg

I would change that bulb (at least if it is incandescent).  A large bulb like that gets very close to the sides of the flame.  It can cause it to melt or get brittle.  A skinnier bulb will give more space between the bulb and the plastic.  (You probably knew this already but there may be some reading this who don't.)

18 hours ago, Scott Rob said:

I agree the flame looks just like Poloron C39 candle frame and I did measure my candles and there 38” tall. The GV flame also looks same. I attached some other pictures. Also one of the flames had been broken and the guy I bought them from had used packing tape to repair it. I am planning on trying to glue it back together.

82A276A7-F741-4FE8-AEE0-34A845F1C350.jpeg

That looks like a good candidate for a "plastic welding" type of repair.especially since there are very few missing pieces.

TED

P.S.  I believe I set a new record with a "multi-quote" of 10 different posts at once!

Edited by TED

I had not gotten to changing it out to LED I have now. My whole display has been LED for past few years and it does save on power bill!

F8C05FD0-88B5-4B11-A82E-21DF200B770D.png

52CD23CF-4DD4-4D37-886E-B7361273B2B5.jpeg

On 11/25/2019 at 2:32 PM, comet said:

Here is what the Grand Venture and Empire candles look like.

DSCN1223.JPG

I believe those were also a Poloron design weren't they?  Were they also made by Empire at some point?  (I can't remember.)  I had an old set of Polorons (like that or very similar) whose flames are in terrible condition.  (They had full size household incandescent bulbs in them so the flames are very brittle.  One of the flames is all in pieces.)  I think that replacement flames for G.V. candles would be a perfect fit if they were available.  The flames are red though instead of yellow.  Maybe we'll be able to make flames with a 3D printer at some point.

I remember passing up the G.V. candles when they were on clearance because I liked the Gen Foam type better.  (Obviously I should have bought some of each!)

TED

Edited by TED

Yes. The one pictured is a old poloron mold made by grand venture. GV made many old poloron molds and a few new designs as well.

I have wondered through the years where the Grand Venture "old Poloron molds" originally came from.  The ones that Grand Venture had were acquired from  MAC Plastics when MAC Plastics went bankrupt and one of the partners in Grand Venture purchased the company and molds. and renamed the company Falcon Plastics.  Falcon Plastics was a sister company to Grand Venture and made all of the GV blow molds for them.  Grand Venture never actually made any blow molds Falcon made them and GV was the sales division.  If the Grand Venture candles were made from old Poloron molds then Poloron had to have made two different heights of the candle through the years because all of the Poloron candles I have seen or heard about are 38" high and the Grand Venture candles are 36" high.

Mel

Possibilities are endless. I did know grand venture was a company and not a manufacturer.

I understood from way back that they had  gotten a hold of old poloron molds.

Seems odd they would make new molds,but apparently they did. 

Remember the old 31"..no 32" snowman.LOL. Seems everybody made it in a differant size.

Sunhill made that snowman as well as empire,tpi...etc