Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Sloat

Going thru a marriage separation.

You may have notice I have not been too active on line lately. I just got separated from my wife about two weeks ago. I moved to St. Charles, Illinois which isn’t too far from Greg Parcel. Our councilor decided that a 6 month to 1 year separation was a good idea, so I moved out. We have been having problems with her children who are both bi-polar. A lot of issues have surface since then. We are working on getting back together, but it is going to take time. I guess till then I will have to envy all you enthuse with your Christmas displays until things get patched up or if I have to change my life all together. My hopes are that next year about this time I can have another Christmas prop contest, but we will have to wait and see. But if things don’t pan out, I wish everyone luck and a Merry Christmas.

Mark, I've been there and done that.

It makes it tough during the holidayswith situations like this but remember, you have family here at P.C.to come to as well.

I wish you all the best and hope it works out for the best. Just remember thatwhat ever happens, it was meant to be.

And if time flies too fast to come back before the holidays, Merry Christmas to you too :tree:.

Good Luck,

Tom

Mark,

Great job with the contest.

I'm sorry you are going through a tough time.

You sure made the summer fun for a lot of us.

I will pray for you and your family.

Michael B

Mark,

I am very sorry to hear this. I will be praying for you and hope everything works out is an orderly manner.

And like Tom said, you will always have your P.C. family here and remember, whatever happens - it was meant to be.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2007!

If you ever need anything, feel free to contact me by PM or email. I'll do whatever I can to help! :]

Have a great day, Mark!

Mark,

I am sorry to hear of you troubles. I just wanted to show my support by posting. I too have been there. I am now on my second marriage. When I caught my 1st wife cheating I thought I would die, I thought I had failed and I can not take failure. I was so embarrassed. Time helped and I slowly picked up the pieces. My divorce took 2 years and we had no house and no children. During that time I met a beautiful women and 6 years and 3 kids later I am happy. I just wnted to tell my story to let you know whatever happens today there is always the joy that tomorrow can bring. Don't lose hope. If you love her and try your best there is no shame if it does not work out. Just make sure you do what feels right to you.

Good luck,

Brian

Mark, my thoughts are with you during this difficult period in your life. Take things day by day, and remember that we are all here for you.

Lisa

Mark, I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles--my heart goes out to you. If you need anything or feel like dropping by, my door is always open to you. Please know, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Mark,

I'm sorry to hear the news. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as are your wife and the children. Dealing with bi-polar issues is very hard for everyone. Kudos for going to counseling and trying to work it out.

Blessings,

Sally

Mark, I'm also sorry to hear of your troubles-You are in my thoughts....

Keep the light in your heart going and keep the candle from going out for your family heart!!!

Jerry Plak

Don't have any words of wisdom to help in a situation like yours. If your marriage is worth keeping, then it's worth doing whatever you have to do to make it work. Wishing you the strength and patience to endure.

Hopefully you can get it all worked out. Definitely don't worry about a contest....your personal life is much more important. Best of luck with everything.

Well I was going to say something silly but honestly just take your time and do your best as that is all any of us can do in life. If it doesn't work out you will have the peace of mind knowing that you gave it your all. Good luck from FL.

Mark,

I too have been down that road. My wife and I are spending our 17th Christmas together after almost a 2 year separation. You will know in your heart what to do, all you need to do is listen. God never gives you anything He doesn't think you couldn't handle. You will be in my prayers and I wish you the best of luck. Your PC family will always be here for you.

John

(edited for spelling)

I just wanted to thank everyone for what they said. It really helps. The wife and I are trying to work out our situation and have been going to counseling for a while. I actually have a meeting with her today. The wife told me that she misses me, and that it is really weird not having thousands of lights hanging from the house on Christmas. Not the mention all the stuff I have out on Halloween. I just wanted to say that things are a little more positive and I just again wanted to thank everyone for giving me all your positive vibes. It really helps. Maybe next year I will gear up for Halloween and Christmas again. (Crossing fingers)

Hello Mark,

I'm glad to hear you and your wife are still on talking terms and trying to work out the issues. That's a good sign. I hope it goes well for both of you.

May you have a Merry Christmas and if it's notperfect, I hope it'sat leasta pleasant one.

Tom

Hey Mark,

That's good news! The Simpsons will throw another prayer log on the fire for you and your wife. It always amazes me (in a good way) how strong the pull of shared traditions and memories are. They cut threw all the hustle/bustle and remind us why we fell in love in the first place! So we'll not only cross our fingers but fold our hands!

Here's hoping,

Sally and Roger Simpson