Did you know?
  • The original Rudolph did not have a red nose. In that day and age, red noses were seen as an indicator of chronic alcoholism and Montgomery Ward didn’t want him to look like a drunkard. To complete the original picture, he was almost named Reginald or Rollo.
  • The Christmas wreath was originally hung as a symbol of Jesus. The holly represents his crown of thorns and the red berries the blood he shed.
  • The three traditional colors of most Christmas decorations are red, green and gold. Red symbolizes the blood of Christ, green symbolized life and rebirth, and gold represents light, royalty and wealth.
  • Tinsel was invented in 1610 in Germany and was once made of real silver.
  • The oldest artificial Christmas trees date back to the late 1800s and were made of green raffia (think grass hula skirts) or dyed goose feathers. Next the Addis Brush Company used their machinery that wove toilet brushes to create pine-like branches for artificial Christmas trees that were less flammable and could hold heavier decorations.
  • ‘Jingle Bells’ – the popular Christmas song was composed by James Pierpont in Massachusetts, America. It was, however, written for thanksgiving and not Christmas.
  • Coca-Cola was the first company that used Santa Claus during the winter season for promotion.
  • Hallmark introduced their first Christmas cards in 1915.
  • The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336, during the time of the Roman Emperor Constantine. A few years later, Pope Julius I officially declared that the birth of Jesus would be celebrated on that day.
  • Santa Claus's sleigh is led by eight reindeer: Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dunder (variously spelled Donder and Donner), and Blixem (variously spelled Blixen and Blitzen), with Rudolph being a 20th-century inclusion.
  • Outdoor Christmas lights on homes evolved from decorating the traditional Christmas tree and house with candles during the Christmas season. Lighting the tree with small candles dates back to the 17th century and originated in Germany before spreading to Eastern Europe.
  • That big, jolly man in the red suit with a white beard didn’t always look that way. Prior to 1931, Santa was depicted as everything from a tall gaunt man to a spooky-looking elf. He has donned a bishop's robe and a Norse huntsman's animal skin. When Civil War cartoonist Thomas Nast drew Santa Claus for Harper's Weekly in 1862, Santa was a small elflike figure who supported the Union. Nast continued to draw Santa for 30 years, changing the color of his coat from tan to the red he’s known for today.
  • Christmas 2018 countdown has already begun. Will you be ready???
  • Why do we love Christmas? It's all about the traditions. In this chaotic world we can miss the "good old days." Christmas reminds us of that time.

How  many of you run your inflatables on timers to preserve fan life? 

I have been debating back and forth regarding this, and can't come to a good resolution in my mind.  Concerns for me center around weather:  how well will they inflate if the are covered by 1"-2" of snow during their down time, or will they even come up at all if the sudden ice storm hits?

Furthermore, do they  readily return to the correct attitude, or do they often require some manual adjustments?

I run all inflatables on WiOn 50049 & 50053 WiFi timers. I can be 1,000 miles away and still control my inflatables thru my phone.

I used to turn them off when a shower/storm come through but then I sometimes end up with flat inflatables (dead fans).
Now I leave them ON all the times except in severe weather (strong winds).
Fans struggle to run if they are covered/clogged in snow or inflatables filled with water.
By leaving inflatables ON, I rarely need to buy and replace fans.

No matter how you set them up, they always need adjustments. Ropes and stakes always get loose because the ground soften up after the rain or when snow/ice melt.

In north Alabama, we don't get heavy snow very often but we do get wind.   My display is mostly blow molds but I do have a couple of Disney inflatables on my deck.   I only run my fans when the display is on and the biggest PITA for me was the inflatable not getting upright correctly when the fan switched on or getting tangled and having to go out and straighten the thing up.   What I did for a fix was I mounted a vertical 2x2 behind each inflatable and I used extra ropes and set it up such that when the fan cuts off, the 2x2 keeps the deflated inflatable fairly upright.   Then when the fan comes on the next time, it easily inflates into place.    The extra ropes also keep it upright during wind and rain.   Since the attach points for the rope clips are usually around the figures mid section and I need attach points near the neck/head for this, I take large safety pins and attach the new ropes to them and then use the safety pins to attach to the inflatable.   If you pin at a seam it holds and I've never had a pin fail or a rip because of this.  

I know this won't be possible for everyone, but I also don't rely on ground stakes for stability.  Instead I build a simple rectangular platform out of OSB that lies on the ground and then I can use screws instead of stakes to attach the ropes.   The platform can then be staked to the ground with some cheap garden wood stakes.   This gives the inflatable something heavy and stable to attach to; I originally started doing this because my yard is sharply sloped and I had to create something flat and level to attach to (a practice I had to adopt for molds as well).

I found that I could tie mine up to trees I have to keep them upright.  The thing that seemed to happen to mine is they would leak too much air too fast.  I got some tent sealer to use for the coming fall and winter on the air blowns.  The other thing that seems to happen for me (other than light bulbs burning out) is the transformers die on many of the ones which plug in...  well.... that and I had a dog that would chew them up,

I do try to place my air blowns in sheltered areas too.

I have mine on timers too (one set near the road on a mechanical timer coupled to a phototimer that lets them come on in the morning and night...  the phototimer made sure they went off when it got light so they could be up longer... usually I have Halloween followed by Thanksgiving followed by Christmas.)  Of course I also have blow molds and lighted trees up that way too.  Right now the timer is turning on a big LED American Flag.)

One thing I am finding is so few cars come down to see my lights down on the house so I find I like simpler stuff near the house and would put stuff up the driveway near the road mainly for the kids on the school buses or folks driving by to enjoy.  And he blow molds with brighter LEDs now really lights my way.

But yeah, when it rains which it seems to do here more than snow... I find it best to walk up and turn off the lights for the night,  If they dry out the next day I turn them back on.  Hey, I get my exercise too.,  And some airblowns come up needing straightening as the windiest months are winter and spring here.